Clear all

Magnesium and it's troubles

6 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

I have done a major booboo, something I should have known better. I asked my Doctor how can I stop the muscle cramps in my fingers, legs, and toes, she knew exactly what I need and told me to order "Magnesium powder" from Amazon. After looking for this on Amazon, not finding the powder form, for what I need, I ordered tablets (500 mg ea), and started taking 2 per day, morning and evening. With in a week I noticed that my out put is now coming as a sticky mush, and a few other problems I had, that I did not have before these tablets. I looked for it on the internet, and just about had a heart attack. The list of the side effects is large, and can cause problems with output, with the heart, blood pressure, and the list continues on and on. Taking this as a supplement a man max per day should be 340 mg, I was taking 1000 mg.

I guess that is why my Doctor wanted me to take it as powder, which is not as potent as the pills.

Never again would I do this, I stopped taking it now, but it would take time for the body to clean up the extra I have taken.

Glad to have the internet.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Yikes! Glad that you were able to connect the dots on this. Some people intentionally take large quantities of magnesium to use as a laxative, but it is not without risks, as you have discovered.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Yes Eric, I think this was a close call for me, taking any medication with out specific knowledge of how much, how many, and what are the side effects is very dangerous, and was stupid of me to do this. I would like this post to remind everyone on this great website, to be very careful of any medication they take, do not do so not knowing how much is the limit.

Dan

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Hi Dan, 

I think it is easy to do that when it is a vitamin or mineral vs something you would need a prescription for.

I guess you can thank your ostomy for bringing it to your attention.  ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Great advice, Dan,

I usually am very wary about taking high doses of anything - everything in moderation. 

Stella

ReplyQuote
(@littleurk)

I’ve recently read that soaking your feet in warm water and Epsom salts is an excellent way to help relieve the aches and get your magnesium.  I haven’t tried it yet.  

ReplyQuote