Community Forums

KETO with an ileost...

KETO with an ileostomy??? Anyone?  

RSS

Mom2Panda
(@mom2panda)
Registered
May 17, 2018 7:49 am  

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the Keto diet with an ileostomy? Is it safe? Good? Bad?

Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
May 17, 2018 10:13 am  

Might be best to consult a nutritionist. They can make sure your food intake will meet your requirements properly.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
May 17, 2018 1:11 pm  

What is KETO?

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 17, 2018 1:50 pm  

Hi All, As far as I know the Keto diet is reducing carbs and some thing to do with releasing ketones as a result. Don,t know much more but would not think it a good idea for any one and especially not an ostomate. A good diet should be a mix of all nutrients, plus these quick fix diets tend to lead to more weight gain.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 17, 2018 2:15 pm  

I agree. A quick search of this diet on google tells us it is a low carb, high fat, adequate protein diet. It is , as they said 'having a moment' right now. It looks a lot like the Atkins one etc etc. etc that roll through every few years.  Not really a sustainable kind of diet either. People who go off it also tend to regain any resulting weight loss.

Also seems to rely partially on water loss to achieve weight loss. As ostomates, we know keeping enough water in our new improved plumbing systems is a challenge.

I think if anyone were doing this for weight loss and has as ostomy it would be essential to get some medical advise.

I agree with john .. best to find something sustainable.

advise I like:

Eat food.

Not too much.

Mostly plants.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
May 17, 2018 10:11 pm  

I so agree with you Dona,   I have seen many go on these fad diets and gain more weight.  All it is loosing WATER..  I personally don't advise that!!!!!! :-(  Not worth it and your kidneys go first.. trust me!!!!!!!! As you stated above, go for it!!  and personally I say, sway away from  the fads!!  

Remember gang the 24 hour flu??????  You lost water weight!!  How did u feel?  Please talk with a Dr. before going onto a fad diet.. If you must think u must go this route.. Eat less.. ? :-)

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 17, 2018 11:09 pm  
Posted by: Mom2Panda

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the Keto diet with an ileostomy? Is it safe? Good? Bad?

My first question to you is what's the goal? 

Keto has shown to be helpful in preventing seizures in some people, but it's harmful and unnecessarily restrictive for the other 99% of the population.

I don't believe an ileostomy would specifically be problematic, Keto has been known to create major constipation issues, and I'd worry about things like increased blockages if things are slowing down too much. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
May 22, 2018 8:05 am  
Posted by: Mom2Panda

I've been on a low carb diet for a year or so.  No problems with the ileostomy.  You lose weight up front and then level off.  Mainly I avoid breads, pasta, sugars.  I still eat most vegetables, dairy, and the dredded meat ;-) .

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
Louise
(@louise)
Registered
March 24, 2019 5:12 pm  

Actually before having my ileostomy, I was eaing according the ketogenic diet principles .  I am a diabetic type 2 and was controling it with no medication just the diet.  Feeding yourself requires more work, I cooked really nice food.

Now unfortunetly keto does not work for me now and Iam struggling to finding the right diet.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 24, 2019 6:21 pm  

Hi louise, Is it finding a diet to work with the diabetes or being in the early  days with an ostomy. Having a stoma does require some adjustments but eating healthy and well is very doable. The first months are not a true measure of how life will be when your body heals. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 25, 2019 12:39 pm  
Posted by: Louise

Actually before having my ileostomy, I was eaing according the ketogenic diet principles .  I am a diabetic type 2 and was controling it with no medication just the diet.  Feeding yourself requires more work, I cooked really nice food.

Now unfortunetly keto does not work for me now and Iam struggling to finding the right diet.

Hi Louise,

Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, I would recommend speaking with a registered dietician who has worked with ostomy patients and diabetics. They can help to find foods that agree with your ostomy while helping to control your diabetes. 

There is one plant-based doctor that I'm familiar with who has published several studies on diabetes and has a view books on how to manage it more effectively with diet. Here is some information ( https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes), but I do highly recommend that you work with your own doctor to make sure that you are being monitored correctly.  

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Valerie
(@valerie)
Registered
March 26, 2019 1:16 am  

I have had an ileostomy since 1986 and have been on a mostly keto diet for years. The keto diet does not rely on water loss to lose weight. Of course you lose some water the beginning of any diet, but not continually. I drink much more water when I am on the keto diet. It is also not a new diet, having been around for many decades. My doctor thinks it's great. I cannot eat fruits and vegetables or whole grains because they cause blockages, so cutting out carbs for me was a good choice since all the carbs I ate were white carbs. I eat a low carb tortilla as my source for a bread like food. I use it as a wrap for many different kinds of meat and cheeses. I have heavy whipping cream in my coffee and eat eggs for breakfast. This is the diet that has enabled me to lose weight and keep it off. Sometimes because of illness or stress I might go off my diet, but is very easy to jump back in. It is now a way of life for me, my stoma loves it. And my blood sugar and cholesterol numbers have improved. That's my personal experience, and I have read accounts of many others with the same experience. I never feel hungry, and I get to indulge in some of my favorite foods such as cheese, a variety of meats, and cream in my coffee. It's a win-win for me, good luck!

UC at age 18, 1981. Diagnosed at 20, proctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy at age 23, 1986.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
March 26, 2019 4:12 am  

Louise and Valarie, welcome! Valarie, you said "blood sugar" does this mean you are also Diabetic? If so, are you type 1 or 2?  I was diagnosed about April last year with Type 2. I was flat out annoyed with my doctor for about a week for diagnosing it and for testing me. Then of course once reality set in, I decided that if I had to be diabetic I was going to be a darn good diabetic. So, I kept that loving food journal and because I had just grocery shopped the day before he diagnosed me, I ate for one month out of those supplies and also kept a food journal. Then showed it to my doctor. I had eaten the way I had always eaten. I showed him recipes and the snacks I would choose. I have never been able to eat a lot of food at one time so have eaten small meals several times a day to satisfy what I thought was just hungry all the time from having such an active Ileostomy. I have since learned thru Danbh also registered here at VO, that having a stoma (mine since 2009) can mess with diabetes, but I am dumbfounded as to how and have yet to find anything combining the  two difficulties. Maybe it is the post concussion trauma that is blocking the knowledge from landing in the right part of my numb brain, but if someone can please help me understand just how this is an issue, I would sure appreciate hearing from you. Please if you out there, Diabetic and know it, just say you are and hep me to not feel alone in left field.  I have had the effects of a sugar low at a number that is considered normal. It was 5.4 and in my target range and I felt drunk (I have never been drunk), and half ways confused and kept saying I did not feel right, my son was here at the time, and said, I said the counters were slanted up and I was apparently swaying a lot and had also told him that when I looked at my feet they were IN the floor but I could see them. When I hung onto the island and reached out and forward to take my dinner out, my son came very quickly up behind me, put his arm around me and said "nope! I'll do that but first we take your blood sugar. I was confused enough that I could not tell him what to do and I did not know how the zipper to my kit worked and told him he was on his own.  I remember some of this but not all. At 5.4 it is normal in Canada. Please, any input from diabetics would be helpful. Since that night it has happened twice more, but I have also had lower then 5.4 readings since too without this going on. Go figure eh! I would love your input. Thank you in advance.

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 26, 2019 6:50 am  

Hi Linda and any other diabetic ostomates, my wife is a type 1 diabetic since age 12. She is not an ostomate but to give a guide her blood sugars are good at 5.5, and she likes to keep them around 6. A hypo will start around 3.5. I know how hard she works to keep them their will a normal digestive system. The fact an ostomate loses so many more nutritional value from food will pose an extra challenge. Knowing the nutritional values and sugar levels in food is important. Hidden sugar can catch you out like grapes etc. It’s striking a balance of diet and exercise. Age seems to vary things as well. In her early days it took time and as a stoma nurse is our wing man   The dietician was hers. 

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
March 31, 2019 11:28 am  

I have been diabetic since 2010 (diabetes II), and till 2017 whenever I had my blood test, my Doctor told me my sugar is NOT under control, and my A1C was 7.5 when it should be 6.0.

In 2017 I got my companion for life - Colostomy, and for over a year was fighting with how to eat right, keeping my sugar down, and not having my Colostomy go crazy to the point I had to change the whole thing every 2 days. Last year 2018 I found my way to keep both happy, this works for me and may not work for others. I eat a full meal at dinner time only, and during the day only munch on crackers, veggies, and fruit. My Doctor actually called me after I did this for 3 months, to ask me what changed? how did I get my A1C from 7.5 and above to 5.7 and lower. She loved what I did, and did not object to my eating only one meal a day.

I have since been doing well on my sugar, and other then pancaking for a while, things are well, I keep my weight at plus / minus 2 to 3 LB, and my sugar is now under control. 

What you eat in that one meal is also a factor, for me cheese which I love is a NO NO, but I learned to live with out cheese.

Hope this would help someone - but before trying this talk to your doctor please.

Dan

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register