Notifications
Clear all

Composting toilets....  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 26, 2020 1:17 pm  

So a local water main burst and we have been without water for at least 4 hours now. For the first time in a long time, we have to worry about using the toilet.

I remember @dogtalkerer mentioning that they've used a composting toilet for ages, which would be a very handy thing to own during a time like this. 

Our family has been watching Tiny House Nation on Netflix lately, and these little homes pretty much all have composting toilets, so now I'm wondering if anyone else has used/own one. 

Please share your experiences! 

Topic Tags
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 29, 2020 11:01 am  

composting toilets don't handle urine well, or just excess water.   a watery Ileostomy would produce the same problem and you would need to find solutions, basically adding more dry mulch.   I think there are ways around the urine problem as well .   I live on 15 wooded acres, so, like the dogs, i pee outside.  plus my pee keeps coyotes away.

my cabin is 8 feet by 16 feet.  the composting toilet sits outside in an outhouse style shed.

really, the fancy composting toilet does nothing special.    you can make a composting toilet out of a 5 gal plastic bucket and achieve the same outcome or even better I think.   you need 3 things, lots of oxygen, dried leaves, some rotten tree(peat moss),  all kept warm and moist.   

unlike many tiny houses I've seen, mine is different.    its all open, tons of windows, no plumbing, closets,cupboards, tables, chairs, etc.   many look like a cramped pickup truck camper.    only 2 lights ,12v dc,  and a tv/dvd player running on solar.  I use a headlamp more than anything in the winter.

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 29, 2020 12:34 pm  

Where and how do you dispose of your used bags, etc,?  I really try to use as little single-use plastic as I can - do you have a trick/hack?

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 29, 2020 3:44 pm  

well, try this.  lay a new bag flat on the table.  how much space does it occupy?   then think about the neighbor throwing a full, big bag of garbage out once a week?   now,  doesn't the bag on the table seem rather insignificant?  many things you can do to reduce energy usage, but we have NO choice about using ostomy bags.   they do not need to biodegrade, landfills are not meant to be compost piles.  make sure you throw out ZERO food stuffs, in landfills food tends to turn into methane, far worse than CO2.   reducing water consumption is an easy carbon foot print reducer, especially hot water.  do you have a compost pile in the yard? use rechargeable batteries. never water the grass. ...........lots of little things add up.

I use the blue bags coloplast gives out.  or sometimes just a plain old grocery store bag.  its really insignificant. i always empty a bag before changing so not much to stink up, better yet,  do a rinse before you remove it. 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 30, 2020 11:48 am  

Thanks, Dogtalkerer - So, living out in the woods, what do you do with them? Bury them? Just curious, I guess, since I live in a 1950s housing development with very close neighbors so of course my used things go in the trash.

i do really appreciate those gray disposal bags from Hollister.

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
June 2, 2020 10:44 am  

LL, no I am not a fan of burying stuff in the woods.   i try to minimize my waste generation.   I go to the garbage station. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 2, 2020 12:12 pm  

I really appreciate your sharing this @dogtalkerer

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
June 4, 2020 5:42 pm  

sounds like you had a chance to practice some water conservation.   I often change the bag and shave the same morning.  I use 1 cup of water for the entire process.  as I've said before, 3 cups to wash my hair. give it a try. 

when you haul all your water by hand, uphill, you get lazy and really go into conservation mode.  mid winter and mosquito season are the worst.

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 5, 2020 5:42 am  

Eric

Since you have taken to opposite of star gazing thought this might interest you 8-) 

Rev Moule designed the dry toilet

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~fordingtondorset/Files/FordingtonHenryMoule1801-1880.html

Esp Cholera Outbreaks 1849 & 1854 section of article

ReplyQuote