Clear all

Going Commando?  

RSS

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
March 1, 2020 6:08 am  

Hi folks

A question about leave the bag off for a period of time to let the fresh air get to the stoma and the surrounding skin, no wafer, no glue, just fresh air?

I sometime feel an urge to rip that bag off to let Bagpus breath abit

any ideas, tips, experiences

Colostomy Jan 2020

Jattzl and john68 liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 1, 2020 6:26 am  

Hi Chris, Yep it’s a great idea, while I don’t do it myself the Boss (Eric) has posted that he does it by using a plastic bag tucked in the waist band. I love to take all of and shower when changing. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
March 1, 2020 12:52 pm  

A little air surely must be good for the skin around the stoma. 

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
March 1, 2020 2:19 pm  

I do this on those occasions when my stoma is quiet at shower time. I remove any residue from the seal and rinse area with water. Then I apply pure coconut oil to the skin around stoma and abdomen that is usually covered by appliance.  I just lay down and let it be free for at least 10-15 min. Here’s even more weird aspect :-P to my process - I actually buy puppy pee pads and lay them on the bed. I dab if any watery discharge but when my stoma is quiet there’s usually none and I keep paper towel lightly on top. Of course I then do my normal shower and wash with ivory soap to remove any oil. This is just me because I feel so bad for my skin having appliance/adhesive on it 24/7. It sounds like a lot but it feels really good, I look forward to it and my skin is much healthier.

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

ReplyQuote
Smended
(@smended)
Registered
March 1, 2020 3:50 pm  

I have gone commando many times and for many hours. I use the puppy poop bags because they are somewhat smaller than the ones that come with my supplies. I hang the bag just under my stoma tucked into my underwear and use a qauze pad in between stoma and bag also tucked into my underwear. The gauze pad will catch any activity. When there is I just wipe, deposit it into the bag and add another gauze pad. Typically my stoma is not crazy active during the day so this is doable. I sometimes can even get chores done. This has helped when I have had trouble with waste under my wafer which creates redness around my stoma.

Sharon

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
March 2, 2020 4:18 am  

@smended

Thanks a great reply I might leave it a little while - the fear of  poopsicles in the cold weather

but will differently give it a go. I will give a new twist to nude sunbathing in the summer (wonder what sun factor Bagpus would need :-P )

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 2, 2020 2:20 pm  

I "go commando" on purpose for minutes or hours at a time depending on my goal. 

A few tips if you plan to do this:

• Do it at home. I can't imagine going commando outside of my home.
  • Wear a kitchen catcher bag off your pant waist to catch any falling stool. It helps to put some gauze behind and over the bag to prevent any liquids from seeping between that bag and your skin. 
  • I sometimes dust my skin with stoma powder while it's exposed to air. This can help to dry things up, but it often creates a harder clump on the skin that I wipe away before applying my wafer. 
  • If my skin is weepy, I will use a gauze pad to blot up any moisture until it dries. 

Our skin can heal VERY quickly if given the chance. I've seen some pretty raw skin look completely better in a matter of a few days and airing things out is often a key component to making that happen. 

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
March 3, 2020 2:35 am  

@veganostomy

Thanks Eric for a great reply with lots of very useful tips you run a "FAB" (international rescue forum :lol: )

I kind of intuitively knew that (Going Commando :-) :lol: ) is a good thing I also remember the Bond Movie Goldfinger where to girls die because her entire skin was covered in gold and she suffocated.

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
March 3, 2020 3:05 am  

I always think of “Friends” when I hear “going commando”.  😂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
March 3, 2020 1:04 pm  

@smended Thank you, Sharon, good tips!

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

ReplyQuote