Fall Days and Pies

49 Posts
11 Users
81 Likes
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

As I write this, I have just taken my vegan version of mincemeat pie out of oven, and on this chilly fall day, it is comforting to smell the scents of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. This was a very good year for apples here in Vermont. Even the wild trees were heavily laden. Two weeks ago, my husband and I spent a few hours helping our neighbors make apple cider. It was fun to do, but labor intensive. We came away with almost two gallons of cider and a whole bag of their beautiful honey crisp apples. 

Speaking of pies, and I may have asked this before (so excuse this almost 63 year old brain of mine) what is everyone's favorite pie? Mine happens to be vegan mincemeat.

Stella

LK, Tony, SqueakyandLiza and 2 people reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @sjlovestosing

This was a very good year for apples here in Vermont.

Which apple variety are most popular there? I'll take anything that's sour or tart: McIntosh, Pink Lady, Granny Smith, etc :)

what is everyone's favorite pie?

Pumpkin pie. I never liked cakes, so my mother would make my Pumpkin Pie for my birthday (which falls in October, so it's "easy") and we stuck with the tradition ever since. Unfortunately, most commercial pumpkin pies are made with eggs, so we always have to make it from scratch. 

Other than that, I do love apple pie. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, Tony, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Have to agree on apple pie! If it’s a slight ltart/sour edge the bramley apple is great. I don’t know if you guys have them but they are grown every where here in Northern Ireland. My mum put cloves in her tarts lovely flavour but terrible to bite into 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, Tony and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Speaking of pies, and I may have asked this before  what is everyone's favorite pie?

Stella,

This is a great topic!!  And you have made me crave pie now.  I don't know if I have a favorite.  I love rhubarb pie, apple pie (with the crumbly top, rather than a crust on top), Chocolate cream pie, Lemon Pie--I don't think I can pick just one.

When I was a kid and my grandma was still alive we always had mincemeat pie at Thanksgiving, and I loved it, but in hindsight, it think it may have been more about the rum sauce we put on it.  ?

Eric-- my oldest nephew, who is 12 also always wants Pumpkin Pie for his birthday.  His birthday is in May though, so not as convenient.  Luckily my brother learned how to bake pie from our mom, so he always makes it.  I think that was part of the way he won over his wife, with his pie baking skills.  His apple pie is really good too, so he always brings apple and pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving.

My husband's favorite is banana cream pie, and I always make it for his birthday, our anniversary and occasionally just because.  I think by now, I could make it in my sleep. 

Stella--I love honey crisp apples.  I think they are one of my favorite to eat.  Though for apple pie, it has to be granny smith.  Here in Washington, we are known for our apples.  We have most varieties, I think.  Except for John's bramley apples.  I have never heard of those.  ? ? ??

A random question--about half of my family prefer apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top and the other half with a slice of cheddar cheese on the side.  Does anyone else do the cheese with apple pie thing??

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

If I had to pick just one, it would have to be key lime. Here’s to spending the night with pie on the brain.?

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

SqueakyandLiza and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I love, love, LOVE pie!  Growing up about age 13 I started making, I was making 3-4 lemon meringue pies each weekend.  My Dad thought he died and went to Heaven! (lOl>...maybe not anymore so much.)  I was allergic to raw apples, but could eat them cooked, for whatever reason. So Apple Pie was always my go to choice! But I was once seriously dubbed the pie queen in our old neighborhood, (I often shared pies around) by,  my neighbors daughter in-law, who also lived with us before she married  their son.  Every fall for years, I put at least two dozen pies in the freeze. I make and freeze them raw, in the shell and then bake them from the frozen stage wrapping the edges in heavy duty foil. High heat turned down once the crust is cooked....darn, now I want apple pie! Stella, what have you done?  Mostly always Apple, but also Pumpkin. And ofcourse the mini pies, or tarts, Butter Tarts.  The toll house is similar to the sinful butter tart creamy buttery scotchey middle and chocolate...ugh! I could go on.......love pies.  Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and great for periods of mourning. 

My favorite has to be apple and I use a blend of McIntosh and Granny Smith...yum.  My hubbies one time, but too expensive to make again on our budget was the "Toll House Pie".  As far as cloves go, my mother used to give us a whole one to bite down onto when we had a toothache. lol. It truly numbs the tooth and the gums if you can get past the flavour!   

I have been gathering supplies for the pumpkin pie for thanksgiving already and I have my two bags of apples for apple pies.  With all the gardens and orchards around, everyone buys them by the bags galore!  Yum. Lots of sweet memories going on here, thank you Stella! P.S. I would love your recipe for vegan mincemeat pie please. Do you serve a sauce with it? 

Linda

SqueakyandLiza and Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@ileostony

Tony, why on earth would you have to pick just one?? Ha ha. Break the rules and pick at least 3 favorites!!

When is Canadian Thanksgiving?  It sounds like Linda’s house is the place to be. ??

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Lemon Meringue, pumpkin, and apple too, in that order.

Liza, love your signature line, so totally relatable.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!

Liza, I love all sorts of pies as well - apple, raspberry, strawberry rhubarb, blueberry, chocolate, lemon, key lime particularly. When I make apple pie, I do not add sugar. My father always made his pie that way and my family never missed the sugar. As a matter of fact, my children loved to be able to have pie for breakfast - there was nothing in the pie that was unhealthy, so why not?

Eric, I have to say that I love tart apples - the Macs, Granny Smiths, etc. - my all around favorite is Cortland.  (BTW from one October baby to another -Happy Birthday! ?) 

Jon, I never heard of the bramely apple. Are they tart or sweet?

Tony, my mother's favorite was lemon meringue. I always enjoyed making it for her.

Linda, you beat all! I think Liza is right - maybe we should all come over for  slices of your pies!

God bless you,

Stella

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Stella, They are a cooking apple only. They are quite large and oh boy are they bitter. They have a structure that lends well to stewing. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)

My favorite is which ever one I'm eating!  

Raine

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)

@squeakyandliza

But of course, cheddar cheese on Apple pie ..."Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze. "

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

I must admit, I am a purist. I eat my pies as they are. However, my husband either puts whipped cream or vanilla yogurt on his.

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Sorry for the delay, inflamed eyes are such fun. lol.  Canadian Thanksgiving is on the 14th of October this year.  

Liza, isn't there a pie house on the I5 near or thru Seattle somewhere? I have never had pie with cheese, but after a weird craving one day this summer, I ate an apple and a slice of cheddar. I totally understood in that moment that I had been eating pie without the squeeze Barbara. Nice to see you chiming in. 

Non Canadian/American members/guests,  when is your Thanksgiving and how does everyone celebrate it?  

We usually are together with family and stray friends young and old alike. It is an all afternoon evening affair, often winding down with a long walk, a hot pot of tea/coffee more pie and competitive games into the evening. Family total 42 when all attending.  Lots of fun!  

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@dlkfiretruck

Linda, that sounds like such fun!!  And not too far off from our Thanksgiving.  

Ours is always the 4th Thursday in November. Traditional Thanksgiving dinner is turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy (made from the turkey drippings), and cranberry sauce. Then I’m sure everyone had traditional extra dishes. I think many people also have sweet potatoes and/or yams (my mom cooks them with a butter and brown sugar glaze, others use marshmallows). We usually have roasted Brussels sprouts too. Dessert is pie. Most people have pumpkin for sure and usually a couple others. Apple is common. Mincemeat is an old school add in. And we have had berry some years too. Growing up, we always split the family into teams and played charades after dinner. Games are pretty popular in my family. 

Last year, I was on home health care, so wasn’t able to leave town, so Tom and I got Thanksgiving to go from Honey Baked Ham. We got honey baked turkey, which was really good, and scalloped potatoes and Mac and cheese. Also cinnamon apples for dessert—so delicious. I’m pretty sure it was the first time I have ever not been in Portland for Thanksgiving. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zhtfreak)

I like a good chocolate pie. Banana cream and lemon marang are also good, and you can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. I took one bite of pecan pie one year and instantly hated it. lol My mom hates pie, so she always makes cheesecake instead. I like it with or without cherries or raspberries on top. A couple years ago my sister made this awesome oreo chocolate pie that was so good that I had her take a picture so I could post it on FaceBook like all the kids do these days. She also sent me the recipe. I'm sure she just got it online somewhere, but hmmmm... maybe I'll have to dig it up now. lol 

Nechrotizing Enterocolitis 7/3/1982
Ileostomy 7/29/1982
Reversed 8/1/1995

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@zhtfreak

Brian, 

I have really good recipes for both chocolate cream and banana cream pies. The chocolate cream is super rich, but delicious. And the banana cream is my husband’s favorite!!  I have never made a traditional lemon meringue pie, but I have a recipe for what in my family we call Angel pie. It is a baked meringue crust with whipped cream and lemon filling. It is sweet but so yummy. I also have a really good sour cream lemon pie recipe. Yum! 

If you would like any of these recipes, I’d be happy to share them. ? 

Not just Brian-I’ll share any recipes I have with anyone. ? I apologize that none of them are vegan. They all have eggs in them, but I would imagine that vegans have a go-to substitute for eggs, milk, and butter??

Eric, sorry for the non-vegan talk. Especially talking about turkey earlier. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and zhtfreak reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zhtfreak)

Liza, that would be awesome! I can't cook worth anything right now (gotta love living in a bachelor pad for so long lol,) but maybe I could find someone to test them out on and hopefully try making them myself one of these days. :) 

Nechrotizing Enterocolitis 7/3/1982
Ileostomy 7/29/1982
Reversed 8/1/1995

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

I would love to know how to make angel pie!

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@zhtfreak

Chocolate Cream Pie

1 baked pie crust 

2 1/2 cups milk

3 oz unsweetened chocolate (I use the squares)

1 cup sugar

3 Tbsp flour 

3 Tbsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp salt

3 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla 

1 Tbsp butter

Mix sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt very well.

Melt chocolate in milk on stove over medium heat.  When it is melted, add sugar mixture to it and stir with a whisk. It will get pretty thick. Add a bit of the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks to temper it. Then add egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and stir about a minute. 

Remove from heat. Add vanilla and butter and stir. 

Let cool and put in baked pie shell. Top with whipped cream and refrigerate. 

Good luck. Enjoy!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK, LLNorth and zhtfreak reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3