Notifications
Clear all

Can they revise on same site?  

RSS

Chris
(@chris)
Registered
April 8, 2018 11:56 am  

Just curious.. because I'm going to soon request to talk to a surgeon soon - and I'll obviously find out then - but has anyone had any experience where a surgeon cut around a stoma, and formed it to sit better, then stitched it back in place? As opposed to having to open a new site on the other side, for instance.

I don't know that this is the case.. but as I watch my stoma through a transparent bag, I see it points sideways and the movement (I forget what it's called) is such that it "worms" sideways. And when it does that I can see completely bare skin on the side. Then it "worms" back and covers that area. That skin area I had pressed a seal down onto when I made a change, but it seems that the stoma pushes I to it, then worms far away from it leaving it open to "the elements".

Anyway.. this is just an observation I have as I am not grasping at straws, having tried pretty.much everything in the book. Changing 2-3 times a day now regularly. 

Anyway.. any knowledge about that revision idea?

john68 and Dona liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 8, 2018 1:41 pm  

Interesting question for sure.

Hopefully, those who've gone through revisions will chime in, but I would imagine if the current site is still appropriate (i.e no excess scar tissue, position through the muscle is still good, etc), then they can revise it and keep it in the same spot.

I'm glad you're able to observe what's going on - your surgeon should know this. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
April 8, 2018 1:45 pm  

Thanks. I'm going to make a request to go down to Saini. Hopefully I'll get answers there. 

VeganOstomy and Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
April 8, 2018 1:51 pm  

Chris, this sounds like a really good thing to find out more about. Especially since you have the crease that doesn't allow you to get a good seal. You are a young man and it would be wonderful to be able to get this sorted out sooner rather than later.

It is great you were able to observe your stomas doing the shimmy! Can you get a movie of that on your phone? That would be interesting for your doctors too.

Good luck. I am pulling for you.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 8, 2018 2:01 pm  

Yep I really hope you get that sorted, as for keeping the stoma on the same side I have always wondered?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
April 8, 2018 4:40 pm  

Might come down to connivance! Are you right handed or left handed? HA.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
April 8, 2018 5:16 pm  

I will take a movie.. good idea. 

Just have to be careful where it gets uploaded to. When I had an iPhone, and I took pictures of my stoma after each change, my daughter once came to me and said " why do you keep putting disgusting pictures on my iPad?"

They were apparently linked.  I cringed even more because she's taken that thing to her friend's house.

Ugh.. god..  

Anyway, I no longer have an iPhone 😂

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
April 8, 2018 7:20 pm  

Chris did a stoma nurse mark your site on the first surgery? If not I would consult one at Sani. They feel  for your stomach muscles this is very important for placement. Also measure you sitting for where your clothes with hit rub etc..  My nurse gave my surgeon two spots to choose from because how much bowel they remove during surgery  is also a factor. 

I am glad to hear you looking into a revision. Stomas should not be a nightmare if done properly . See a new surgeon this time . I love my stoma / Bubbles . I pray you get one you love too. 

Wishing you all the best , Bubbles 

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
April 15, 2018 10:43 am  

Hi Chris,

I had a prolapse Stoma 5 months after the original surgery, My Stoma was extending out just about to the bottom of the bag, and was big and very uncomfortable. My Sergent opened the same site, tightened the muscles around the Stoma, and closed, all on the same site. It is now staying where it belongs, and I have no more problems with prolapse.

Dan

Tony H and john68 liked
ReplyQuote