Clear all

Urostomy Night Drainage Bag vs. Bottle

3 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
 Gail
(@gail)
Topic starter  

Are bottles better than bags for night drainage? Must one use the medical supply company bottle or would an empty vinegar bottle attached to medical supply tubing with back flow valve work?

My husband is a recent urostomate and we are trying to navigate the huge array of equipment and supplies available?

Topic Tags
 lg
(@grw)

Gail, 

I use the Coloplast night drainage bag. Other brands can be used than the current brand urostomy bag, however an adapter must be used to fit the outflow port. I just find that it is easier and more secure to use the same brand. I guess you could drain into anything. I find if I make sure to close the valve that drains  the bag extra tight it almost creates a vacuum and the urine really flows out.  I find sleeping on a wedge creates an angle so gravity helps my drainage. I hang the bag in a bucket lined with garbage a liner in case I forget to close the drainage port on the bottom of the bag. My insurance allows 2 bags per month. Every morning I flush first with water then 50/50 vinegar water mixture, then a disinfectant and leave open to dry during the day. I even hook it up when driving long distances and put the bucket behind the seat.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 lg
(@grw)

I forgot another tip. To make flushing the lines easier I got a few clear condiment squeeze bottles from Bed Bath and Beyond and filled them with the flush solution. The tips fit nicely into the drainage line and make fast work of cleaning every morning.

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote