Community Forums

Community Forums

Want to join the forums? Register HERE for instant access.

Already have an account? Login below:

suction within pouch  

RSS

Carolyn Reinhart
21/08/2017 11:30 am  

I have been wearing a Coloplast Sensura Mio one piece for over a year. Once or twice it seemed to collapse and create a vacuum with some sort of plastic adhering to my stoma therefore blocking stoma output. I kept opening the output allowing air in and pulling up on the bag to let it balloon a bit. But I had to keep doing that. Then after a few hrs I put another pouch on and it happened again - so after a while I put on another. I got in touch with Coloplast and they suggested that I use the earlier version which has a circular deodorant plastic ring around the stoma - but it is happening with this one too. This one is less convex as well and my ET nurse isn't so happy about that . So my trial/test continues. I put on the 4th bag last night with a hollister ring as usual. It's nerve  racking since I had 4 serious blockages in Jan/Feb. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
21/08/2017 1:12 pm  

This vacuum effect is something that can be a headache for many people! 

Adding air won't work if the filters continue to be effective (ironically, this is a good indication that your filter is removing gas from your bag). 

One tip is to roll up some toilet paper and place it in the bottom of your pouch. This will help to separate the inner walls and make this vacuum effect less of a problem. 

Some people like to cover their filter using filter stickers (which often come in the package of bags). This will prevent gas from escaping your bag, so it does require that you manually unpeeled the sticker to get it working again. After that, simply put the sticker back in place. 

I hope this helps 😀

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Carolyn Reinhart
21/08/2017 5:24 pm  

Thank you Kevin. I forgot about those sticky things and had never used them. That could be the problem all along even with the Sensura Mio - but I have to check to see with that one if it has blue sticky things. 

I am going to listen to your u-tube tonight. Congratulations on your 4th anniversary. I think that your site is marvellous and keeps growing. 

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
21/08/2017 5:36 pm  
Posted by: Carolyn Reinhart

Thank you Kevin.

It's Eric, but you can call me Kevin too =) hehe

I forgot about those sticky things and had never used them. That could be the problem all along even with the Sensura Mio - but I have to check to see with that one if it has blue sticky things. 

From what I've heard from others, the Mio's are especially aggressive for some - again, this is a GOOD THING because it shows that the filter is working... it's just working too well!

I am going to listen to your u-tube tonight. Congratulations on your 4th anniversary. I think that your site is marvellous and keeps growing. 

Thank you! I'm setting up for it now =)

ReplyQuote
Carolyn Reinhart
21/08/2017 5:40 pm  

Sorry "Eric". I was rushing and not concentrating very well. 

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
21/08/2017 5:41 pm  

haha, no problem at all =) 

ReplyQuote
Sharon
12/09/2017 6:42 pm  

I am also having the same problem with my bag,  I think they call that pancakeing, where the stool stays at the top of the bag and does not go to the bottom,  any other suggestions besides the paper in the bag? when it collects at the top, I have a tendency to leak.  I have heard  a change in diet, more fluids could help.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
12/09/2017 6:45 pm  
Posted by: Sharon

I have heard  a change in diet, more fluids could help.
Yes, this is usually the more common way to deal with it. However, if the suction in your bag is really strong then it'll be problematic regardless. Of that happens, then covering the filter with a sticker is a good option to alleviate the vacuum effect. 

ReplyQuote
Sharon
12/09/2017 7:04 pm  

I would cover the filter but it is on the inside of my pouch, and I have no stickers,  I use Hollister bags.

ReplyQuote
Carolyn Reinhart
12/09/2017 8:25 pm  

Thank you for writing Sharon. I appreciate it. 

Carolyn Reinhart

Carolyn Reinhart

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
13/09/2017 9:35 am  
Posted by: Sharon

I would cover the filter but it is on the inside of my pouch, and I have no stickers,  I use Hollister bags. 

You'd actually be covering the filter from the outside so that it's easy to just remove the sticker when you want your bag to expel that gas.

Hollister bags don't come with stickers in the box, unfortunately, but you can even put a piece of tape on the filter to test with.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register