Clear all

Pouch and room odour when emptying pouch  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Navey
(@navey)
Registered
August 17, 2017 3:28 pm  

I recently decided to check out Eric's tips on the different things to use to try to eliminate room odours when emptying your pouch. One of the suggestions was adding hydrogen peroxide to your pouch. For the last week I have been adding a capful of the peroxide to my pouch every time I empty it AND IT WORKS. There is no odour upon emptying in the toilet or left in the bathroom.  Hallelujah. I have been using room spray and turning on the overhead fan and still could not get rid of the odour. 

You can buy hydrogen peroxide at the dollar store for $1.25 for a 100 ml/3.38 fl.oz. to try.

I measured a capful,and it is about 2ml, so that's a minimum of 50 uses. Today I tried half of that and it still worked. 

Try it, you might like it, and after all what do you have to lose except the odour. I should qualify this by saying I don't have a thick output. 

TPD and xskip liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 17, 2017 7:29 pm  

I'm glad to hear that works for you! 

Are you diluting it at all or using it straight? I'd be worried about it coming in direct contact with my stoma at full strength. 

ReplyQuote
Willy
(@willy)
Registered
August 17, 2017 9:57 pm  

I like hearing this works also but I am cautious to try things like this without some use or label guidelines. Hydrogen peroxide at high concentrations can really mess up the skin on your hands let alone what it would do to a stoma. I know what you get at the pharmacy or dollar store is not that high of concentration but I would like to know what a safe usable dilution rate is for this. Sure would cost a lot less than the products like M9 if it was safe and works like Navey has experienced. 

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
August 18, 2017 6:11 pm  

Willy the store bought hydrogen peroxide I am using is 3%. I do not dilute it and I only use a capful in my pouch. I just clean my pouch and then add the peroxide to the bottom of the pouch and close it up, so I can't see how the peroxide will get even close to the stoma.

I spoke wit my ET nurse about this and she indicated there was no problem using the peroxide. She said some people even use vinegar for the odour. 

I am just happy to eliminate the odour and haven't had any side effects from using the peroxide so far. So use your own discretion as to try it or not or speak to your ET nurse about it.

ReplyQuote
TPD
 TPD
(@teripd)
Registered
August 20, 2017 5:14 pm  

Okay, so you put it in an empty pouch? I thought you were saying to put it in right before you emptied it and had visions of it bubbling up and basically a "brown (or whatever color) volcano" LOL. Very glad that's cleared up.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 20, 2017 5:15 pm  
Posted by: Teri DiBiasi

I thought you were saying to put it in right before you emptied it and had visions of it bubbling up and basically a "brown (or whatever color) volcano" LOL. Very glad that's cleared up.

haha! Now I'm tempted to try it this way! =)

TPD liked
ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
August 20, 2017 5:32 pm  

That right Willy, every time I empty my bag I clean it, (using water ) then I add the capful of peroxide to the bottom of the bag and as I am closing the bottom of the bag I just ease the peroxide up above the closure so it's sitting in the bottom of the closed bag. Hope this clears it up for you.

TPD liked
ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
August 21, 2017 6:33 pm  

My stoma nurse said to me that if you wouldn't put it in your mouth, then don't put it on your stoma

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
August 22, 2017 1:03 pm  

Sarah,

Thats a GREAT rule of 'thumb'  so to speak! 

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
August 22, 2017 8:50 pm  

Sarah, you can dilute peroxide to use as a mouth wash, does this not meet your stoma nurses requirements? As stated earlier, I put the peroxide in the bottom of the bag after emptying and cleaning it and then close the bag which leaves the peroxide at the bottom of the bag. I haven't had it touch my stoma yet. Bear in mind it is approximately 1 to 2 ml that I put in the bag and also I don't have a thick output.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
August 23, 2017 10:44 am  

It's just a useful guideline for those who are a bit unsure. So yes, if you use a product as a mouthwash then it should be fine to use in your stoma bag

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 23, 2017 10:58 am  

I've put the question about safety out on Twitter for stoma nurses to (hopefully) chime in. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 27, 2017 1:29 am  

From Ostomy Care and Supply:

Just keep in mind that your bowel is absorptive tissue - if you wouldn't eat or drink it, it probably shouldn't go in your pouch.

And from Joy Hooper (CWOCN):

Yes, don't do that.

I think it's safe to err on the side of caution, but if the hydrogen peroxide is diluted and doesn't come in contact with your stoma, it may be totally fine. 

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
September 19, 2017 5:56 pm  

I saw this post a few weeks ago and finally bought a bottle of peroxide to try the experiment.  After 3 days I can see that the odor control works, gas control doesn't seem to work.  Tomorrow is bag change time, I'll see what the stoma looks like at that time.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 19, 2017 6:08 pm  
Posted by: Bago

After 3 days I can see that the odor control works, gas control doesn't seem to work.  Tomorrow is bag change time, I'll see what the stoma looks like at that time.

That sounds great! Looking forward to the update. 

ReplyQuote
TPD
 TPD
(@teripd)
Registered
September 19, 2017 6:38 pm  

I tried it, and odor control works great. But it seems to dissolve my barrier ring a bit faster.

ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
September 19, 2017 6:51 pm  

Hi TPD:

What barrier ring are you using? I use the Brava protective ring and have not noticed any more deterioration of the ring using the peroxide in my pouch than when I didn't use peroxide.

ReplyQuote
gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 19, 2017 10:28 pm  

Hydrogen peroxide does kill bacteria and hence it removes odors created by the bacteria, but unfortunately it also can damage healthy cells. The peroxide will attract electrons from your healthy cell membranes killing them. If the hydrogen peroxide that is poured into the pouch gets onto the stoma the stoma could be damaged.

ReplyQuote
TPD
 TPD
(@teripd)
Registered
September 20, 2017 3:48 am  

Sarah,

Back in the day I took martial art classes. Sensai encouraged us to rinse our mouth with a capful of peroxide, saying it killed the bacteria below the gumline. This was the early 70's when the hottest thing on the market was "Close Up, or Pearl Drops" toothpaste, their claim to fame?, to make your mouth kissable fresh. Fast forward, just about EVERY toothpaste has peroxide

ReplyQuote
TPD
 TPD
(@teripd)
Registered
September 20, 2017 3:52 am  

Adapt by Hollister. I'll have to look at my list as one brand left me with a red sore ring.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2