Notifications
Clear all

Flu jab  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 22, 2020 1:56 am  

Hi Folks, Here in the UK It’s looking like we are headed for a second wave of Covid, plus it’s flu time as well. So there is a double danger. I have never been eligible for the flu jab but this year I am. That’s a result of my wife being a transplant patient. So if you can I would urge you to see if you can get the flu jab.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

sjlovestosing, LLNorth, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people liked
Topic Tags
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 22, 2020 6:02 am  

John

An option might be to stay with the social distance and wash hands?

Being out of the way can be the best defence, flu jab might be the wrong mix and can on occasions cause flu symptoms, always a difficult decision if you immune compromised?

Ask you GP if there have been any locally reported negative effects.

A few years ago a local hospital had a flurry of patients with chest infections after a bad batch, A reason why a percentage of nurse refuse the jab?

John just raising the question, I always reckon on been well informed to make, for you the right choice?

All the best

Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
September 22, 2020 6:08 am  

Here in the US, we call it the flu shot. Jab makes me giggle. What about you Canadians? Shot or Jab??

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 22, 2020 6:16 am  

@squeakyandliza

Whether its called a jab or shot is less important that, in my imagination the big tough nurse who says "this won't hurt" just before she wacks it in without and finesse 8-O 

I think we British are more polite but shot describes it more accurately :roll: 

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
September 22, 2020 6:24 am  

John, Great suggestion!! ... I get the flu shot every year & in late Fall last year,  I got the Pnuemonia Vaccine. Having Asthma &  a regular host of Pneumonia, I usually end up in the hospital  every year But  since recieving the Pneumonia Vaccine regularly,  the pnuemonia has has not ever been nearly as bad as it has been in previous years. 

We are fortunately finally clear of the thick smoke that was visiting Canada, covering our area from the devastating Oregon & California fires &  I have had 3 asthma attacks due to the smoke in the short time taking my dogs out to do their business. No dog walks either, as they are close to the ground & their  paws grey from the fallen ash from Canadian fires as well.  Imagine how this affects their their lungs!  My senior dog was coughing pretty bad most smokey days.

I would like to encourage others to consider the Pneumonia Vaccine as well. We need  to  understand that if  struck by COVID19 it gives a better fighting chance. Covid19  attacks the Organs, Lungs being as major as any,   it is important to do all we can to protect ourselves from it as well. 

Linda

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
September 22, 2020 12:15 pm  

John, I am glad that you are eligible for flu shot, and I am curious: what does it mean to be eligible or ineligible for it?

I have been getting one every year for awhile - they say that there is a possibility that you could still get the flu but that it will be much milder if you do. 

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 22, 2020 12:38 pm  

Until this year you had to be over 65 or have an under lying health problem. Seems chronns or UC didn’t count 😂. It’s this Saturday morning at my local health centre, been told to arrive stay in your vehicle and put on hazard lights to let them know you are there and they come to you. Crazy and strange times!!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
September 22, 2020 1:26 pm  

Hi all,

I am one of those people who get the flu from the shot, so I avoid them like the plague😂. So far, aside from the cancer I had, I tend to resist viruses or don't get them as badly as some. My sister has more of a resistance than I do, so I guess it runs in the family.😊

Stella

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
September 22, 2020 9:42 pm  
Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

John

An option might be to stay with the social distance and wash hands?

Being out of the way can be the best defence, flu jab might be the wrong mix and can on occasions cause flu symptoms, always a difficult decision if you immune compromised?

Ask you GP if there have been any locally reported negative effects.

A few years ago a local hospital had a flurry of patients with chest infections after a bad batch, A reason why a percentage of nurse refuse the jab?

John just raising the question, I always reckon on been well informed to make, for you the right choice?

All the best

Chris

This in addition to Stella’s comment is incorrect. You cannot get an influenza infection from the flu shot—it is an inactivated virus incapable of infecting the host. This is scientific fact and not up for discussion. The nasal spray is a live attenuated virus so theoretically capable of infecting (highly unlikely) and mostly given to children without contraindications to spare them the jab. The “flu-like” symptoms some may experience are the immune system mounting a response to the virus, which is what you want—antibody production to protect you from infection. The only risk of getting the flu shot/jab when immunosuppressed (including on immunosuppressive medication) is a weaker immune response to the vaccine affording you less protection but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get it. In fact, those over 65 yo should be asking their doctor for the high dose vaccine. Same goes for pneumococcal vaccines and the newest shingles vaccine (Shingrix). All incapable of causing an infection. Some childhood vaccines are live such as MMR and shouldn’t be given to those on immunosuppressants but that’s not what we’re taking about.

Based on John’s insight above, those in the US don’t know how lucky we are to have the access we do to vaccines...now if only we would actually get them. 

I have to say I’m again disappointed by the misinformation passed off as caring (though I do believe it is largely good intentioned) that I see on these forums. I’ve read tales of personal anecdotal nightmares shared with those who are trying to assess symptoms or risks/benefits of procedures without any mention, discussion or perhaps understanding of the actual evidence or data on such things. There’s also a definite clique here that is intolerant of those that may be less tactful or rough around the edges. I read one post admonishing someone for not respecting someone’s spiritual beliefs after a very benign and totally misinterpreted comment, yet many here regularly offer unsolicited prayers, blessings, encouragement to trust in god. As an atheist, I’m not offended and understand it’s your way of saying “good luck” or “my thoughts are with you” but if you actually want to be respectful of everyone you would refrain unless you know everyone is like minded. Or better yet, practice the tolerance of other viewpoints that you seem to preach.

I’m sorry to rant but I felt provoked by the completely inaccurate posts above on vaccines which are now being read by a bunch of immunocompromised patients with IBD and cancer. It is my breaking point in this very tense time where the most basic scientific principles are ignored. How about talking to your doctor who *gasp* actually does have your best interest in mind and went to medical school. If you don’t trust your medical providers, which seems to be prevalent on this site, teach yourself some immunology. I can lend you a few books. There are very few excuses not to get vaccinated. Period. 

This is the first support forum I’ve ever peripherally followed and it will be my last. It is an absolutely amazing source in terms of Eric’s content and members’ concrete advice (I can’t thank Eric enough as it was invaluable, particularly at the beginning) but the forums are insulated, monotone, and too heavy on worse-case-scenarios with little to counter these rare events. I guess that’s the nature of the beast. I hope everyone finds some peace with their situations which is really the best we can hope for.  Over and out. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 23, 2020 10:26 am  
Posted by: @john68

I have never been eligible for the flu jab but this year I am.

It's a strange concept to be eligible for a flu vaccine! We can get them anywhere and everwhere around here. 

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

What about you Canadians? Shot or Jab??

Shot! 

Posted by: @jtvt

You cannot get an influenza infection from the flu shot—it is an inactivated virus incapable of infecting the host. This is scientific fact and not up for discussion.

I believe there's some confusion over flu-like symptoms and getting the flu from the shot. I've had flu-like symptoms from the flu vaccine, which for all intents and purposes, felt very similar to actually having the flu (which I've had several times throughout the years). 

I can understand how someone might confuse the two, or choose to avoid the shot because of it, but I do still advise that people speak with their doctor to assess the risk. Having flu-like symptoms is far safer than actually having the flu or passing the flu onto others. 

I have to say I’m again disappointed by the misinformation passed off as caring (though I do believe it is largely good intentioned) that I see on these forums.

I will admit, this tends to be a drawback in any open forum where discussion on pretty much any topic happens, including social media.

The best that we can do as a community is to educate others, but it's also important that the information or stories on the forums not be taken as a substitute for an actual doctor or nurse. 

Moderating posts can also fall into many grey areas that have no right or wrong direction. On one hand, I could go through and edit/delete/correct each post with information that may not be 100% accurate, but then that leaves no room for discussion or education. 

On the other hand, letting everything go turns the forums in to the Wild West, which would serve no benefit to anyone. 

I'm still working on finding that balance, but I do take responsibility for what ultimately ends up staying on the forums. 

This is the first support forum I’ve ever peripherally followed and it will be my last.

This hurts to read, but I respect your choices and appreciate all the value that you have added to the forum. Be well.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
September 23, 2020 11:14 am  

I am sorry to see that jtvt was offended by a any comments I made concerning my past experiences with the flu shot. I was not trying to dissuade anyone else from having it. I know plenty of people who have them. As with anything else, this is a personal decision on my part. So all who have read my post, please do not take this as medical advice.🙂

Stella

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
September 23, 2020 2:03 pm  

Stella, I doubt JTV was offended.   I've never had a flu shot but seem to recall hearing often that " you may experience flu "like" symptoms I'd call that as an understandable error. I think jtv is just trying to set the record straight.".

I'm not even offended by John and LK's wild uncontrollable vile rants.  it's sad to see egos surpass common scientific knowledge, or even knowledge from primary school   but even more,  the refusal to " try this at home and see for yourself"   those who refuse to except they may be incorrect in the face of fact  is truly disappointing.

I don't think I've ever read here, " yeah,  I may have been wrong about that".....

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 24, 2020 2:40 pm  

@dogtalkerer I respectfully ask that if you have a problem with any particular member to please private message me and/or report any posts that violate the forum's Code of Conduct and Rules

I don't believe that anyone here is a doctor, and we are only just sharing our own experiences and knowledge, which is always a work in progress.

Some posts may contain factual errors, and it would be more helpful to correct the information rather than attack the individual.

While I'm happy to moderate content, I am not thrilled at the idea of needing to moderate people.

Please, everyone, let's try to be courteous and a little more civil. We can all learn from each other in a more compassionate way. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

dieffenk, SqueakyandLiza, Dona and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
September 29, 2020 6:44 pm  

I just got home from getting my flu shot. They recommend that I get it before surgery next week. 👍

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
September 29, 2020 6:55 pm  

I got one today, also! Didn’t hurt a bit!

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote