Community Forums

Dealing With Ostomy...

Notifications
Clear all

Dealing With Ostomy Pouch Odors - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 21, 2018 11:40 am  

I've heard of things like that. You have to be cautious because some of the ingredients aren't meant to be in contact with a "wound" (i.e. The stoma), so adverse reactions may occur.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Susan
 Susan
(@Susan)
March 7, 2018 9:06 am  

Wow! I can't wait to try all these ideas. I've had a colostomy for 12 years. Just recently I noticed that my stomach is so much more sensitive to more and more foods. I'm "trying" to diet to lose a little weight. (I'd be happy if I was 15 pounds thinner 😊) but I've noticed when I eat vegetables, salads and any type of alliums like onions or garlic, I immediately have diarrhea and my pouch fills up and looks like the Hindenburg under my shirt!! Sorry to be so graphic. Then when I change my pouch, the ordor is extremely strong and very embarrassing if I'm in a public place. Living with this problem has prevented me from traveling on vacations with friends or visiting with relatives out of state. I am 55 & widowed and live alone but I don't know if I could date anyone if I continue to have this issue. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 2, 2018 6:54 pm  

Hi Susan,

Have you kept a food diary to see which ones trigger you more? Sometimes, it may simply be a food intolerance, and other times it may be that you simply need to get used to eating certain foods (our gut bacteria needs to adjust to having more fiber if you haven't been eating it that often). 

For odors, I do recommend using a pouch deodorant, but you'll have to try a few types to see which works best for you. Currently, the Hollister M9 is one that works very well for me!

ReplyQuote
Lynn
 Lynn
(@Lynn)
May 3, 2018 3:38 am  

vinegar is used for many household odors so it makes sense.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
May 3, 2018 12:44 pm  

I use Adapt Lubricating Deodorant  mixed with a little Hydrogen Peroxide and a little Baby Oil . After empting I give just a very small squirt in my bag and that works for me . The amount that I squirt in is only really enough to stay in the bottom of my bag not enough to reach my stoma . I think the Baby oil just helps things empty easier and the Peroxide and the Adapt work on the odor .

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 3, 2018 1:30 pm  
Posted by: Lynn

vinegar is used for many household odors so it makes sense.

I would be cautious if using vinegar at full strength. We can't forget that it's still a very strong acid. 

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
May 3, 2018 7:55 pm  

I use a few drops of peppermint essential oil and Im minty fresh , i find it works really if you are venting , people get a burst of peppermint instead of output fumes .

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
memaw002us
(@memaw002us)
Registered
May 6, 2018 8:39 pm  

My Home Health Nurse told me 4 yrs. ago when I got my first visit with her when I got home from the hospital to use the cheapest Green Mouth Wash I could find. I go to Dollar Tree and get it and use 1 cap full and it hasn't let me and Vickie down yet.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2018 12:08 pm  

Hey memaw002us. Does that mouthwash contain alcohol or is it alcohol-free?

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@Mike)
May 22, 2018 1:07 am  

I think when I eat EGGS is when I the odor problem is the greatest. I am going to try these home remedies and no more eggs. On weekends before I go out I take a couple of gas relief pills like beano, just for insurance weather I need it or not.

ReplyQuote
Kathymac
(@kathymac)
Registered
May 22, 2018 7:02 pm  

I am leary of adding anything to my pouch.  I love the smell of fabric sheets you put in the dryer.  Voila!  I use a small safety pin and attach one to the inside of my shirt and smell fresh all day long!!!  

ReplyQuote
memaw002us
(@memaw002us)
Registered
May 22, 2018 7:19 pm  

Yes it does but I don't have a bottle right now so I'm not sure how much it has.

ReplyQuote
Andrea Goolsby
 Andrea Goolsby
(@Andrea Goolsby)
July 26, 2019 2:30 pm  

So is it safe to use those oils in your colostomy bag

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 26, 2019 6:14 pm  

Diluted, essential oils should be fairly safe, but it also depends on which one you use. Some may burn or cause harm if they are absorbed by your stoma. Always use caution if putting anything that isn't intended for use in an ostomy bag.

ReplyQuote
LISA CURRIER
 LISA CURRIER
(@LISA CURRIER)
November 11, 2019 11:27 am  

WANNA KNOW WHAT I DISCOVERED?😊
THOSE GREAT "FEMININE WASHES"...ADD A LITTLE EACH TIME YOU EMPTY! I COULD HARDLY BELIEVE HOW GREAT THAT WORKS!😁

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 12, 2019 9:42 am  

@LISA CURRIER

That's brilliant, Lisa! haha

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Adrian Fulcher
 Adrian Fulcher
(@Adrian Fulcher)
December 19, 2019 2:41 pm  

Hello my names Adrian I have an Ileostomy and I have found something that disguises the smell when emptying my bag ,it is a spray I make up of 20 drops of top quality lavender oil to a egg cup of water and a egg cup of real white vinegar the vinegar must have some sort of chemical reaction with the oder and neutralises the smell and the lavender tops it of with a pleasant after smell. Hope this will help someone.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 19, 2019 3:43 pm  

@Adrian Fulcher

Hi Adrian, that's a neat "recipe"! How much do you spray at a time and do you find that the vinegar causes your skin to burn at all or is it too diluted to be a problem? 

ReplyQuote
gladys rios
 gladys rios
(@gladys rios)
December 22, 2019 5:20 pm  

Thank you. I have been looking for a solution for my ostomy bag smell cuz I ran out of deodorant. I thought vinegar with something else would help hey I haven't tried it yet but you have confirmed let it may work. Thank you so very much

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2