Community Forums

Dealing With Ostomy...

Notifications
Clear all

Dealing With Ostomy Leaks - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ video)

70 Posts
9 Users
21 Likes
17.2 K Views
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for sharing that, Patty. OxyClean is a great product to have!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 Ct64
(@ct64)

My ileostomy appliance came off 10 times in a 30 hour period.  At the 24 hour period, and after 7 changes I called my doctor.  My skin was bright red and sore.  She told me to air dry for 8 hours and then reapply.  That worked for 15 minutes.  After 2 more changes, called the on call surgeon.  

He suggested to air dry with a fan, then apply maalox or mylanta (I used mylanta) all over reddened sore area, with a qtip, to calm skin down and let dry.  Then dab skin prep over mylanta to keep in place.  Use stoma paste on wafer, apply and wear belt.

Yay, it stayed on for 1 day.  Redid it, and this time it stayed on for 2 days.  Area is pink, not red.  most of the pain is gone, and the sore area has decreased in size, immensely.

Hope this helps somebody else.  

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi, First all all this situation sounds very extreme and very like you are having a bad reaction to your wafer. I would suggest having this seen by the stoma nurse or a dermatologist. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Ct64

My ileostomy appliance came off 10 times in a 30 hour period.  At the 24 hour period, and after 7 changes I called my doctor.  My skin was bright red and sore.  She told me to air dry for 8 hours and then reapply.  That worked for 15 minutes.  After 2 more changes, called the on call surgeon.  

He suggested to air dry with a fan, then apply maalox or mylanta (I used mylanta) all over reddened sore area, with a qtip, to calm skin down and let dry.  Then dab skin prep over mylanta to keep in place.  Use stoma paste on wafer, apply and wear belt.

This is a good trick that I've heard stoma nurses suggest, however, I would always encourage investigation to see why your skin ended up sore and red to begin with. 

As John mentioned, it's possible that you're having a reaction to your wafer or another product coming in contact with your skin. If this persists, I do highly recommend having a stoma nurse look at it and possibly test you for skin allergies. 

ReplyQuote
 Mary
(@Mary)

I have a ileostomy and continues to leak around the stoma base. Nothing they have tried works. My skin is excoriated Please any suggestions!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Mary, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have access to a stoma nurse who can assess both your skin and the appliance/supplies you use? Sometimes we miss things in our routine that can be spotted by others, but without someone seeing your skin, there's no way to suggest a plan of action.

If you've been using the same appliance/supplies for a while, it may be time to explore other options. You may also find that using a convex wafer will help to reduce leaks, but it's generally advised to speak to a stoma nurse about using convex products as they may cause pressure sores if used incorrectly.

Good luck!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Mary, I always got leaks around the bottom and left. I decided to try baby butt cream. Peneten, I used it sparingly and applied stoma powder on  that.  I had one spot that was angry and raw.  I covered it with stoma powder and a small piece of gauze because it was away from the center, not risking the seal around the stoma. From there, patience, rest, lots of fluids to try and thin the aciddy output. A few questions to  ask yourself..

Are your leaks at night? If so, have you tried to prop yourself on a slant to encourage  keeping it away from the stoma area?

Are you moisturizing your skin at all? If so stop.  Are you cleaning the area enough each time?

Have you tried a "warm" hot water bottle on top for 5-10 after a change over?  Use a wash cloth, dry, under the bottle, to protect your stoma. 

Are you showering with a bag off and using a moisturizing shampoo that runs down your skin?  If you have fussy skin have you considered a different pouch choice in case you skin does not like your choice.  

I also added the C-Shaped tapes by coloplast for extra security. Pay extra attention to the seal all around the stoma, to make it work. I hope this helps a bit. Hang in there. It does take time, trial & error to resolve some issues. Let us know what works for you. Hang in there.

Linda

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Mary, I always got leaks around the bottom and left. I decided to try baby butt cream. Peneten, I used it sparingly and applied stoma powder on  that.  I had one spot that was angry and raw.  I covered it with stoma powder and a small piece of gauze because it was away from the center, not risking the seal around the stoma. From there, patience, rest, lots of fluids to try and thin the aciddy output. A few questions to  ask yourself..Are your leaks at night? If so, have you tried to prop yourself on a slant to encourage  keeping it away from the stoma area?Are you moisturizing your skin at all? If so stop.  Are you cleaning the area enough each time?   Have you tried a "warm" hot water bottle on top for 5-10 after a change over?  Use a wash cloth, dry, under the bottle, to protect your stoma. Are you showering with a bag off and using a moisturizing shampoo that runs down your skin?  If you have fussy skin have you considered a different pouch choice in case you skin does not like your choice.  I also added the C-Shaped tapes by coloplast for extra security. Pay extra attention to the seal all around the stoma, to make it work. I hope this helps a bit. Hang in there. It does take time, trial & error to resolve some issues. Let us know what works for you. Hang in there.

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@Angela Fratarcangelo)

Hello. I sometime have leaks but do not see where it comes from, my clothes are wet but my bag is wet but no leaks, not sure where it is coming from the leaks

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Angela,

There are a few things I'd check.

Firstly, are you wearing a one or two-piece appliance?

Where exactly is the bag wet? Close to the outlet or around the base where it attaches to the wafer?

When you empty your bag, are you cleaning the last few inches of the outlet really well?

If you are confident that it's not coming from the appliance, can you tell me if you have any fresh incision wounds? I thought I had a leak for several days and I realized that it was drainage from my incision wound after surgery, not my ostomy appliance. Perhaps this is also the case if your surgery is recent.

Best of luck!

john68 and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@Angela Fratarcangelo, Welcome Angela. Sorry you are having leaks there.  To help you find the leak in the plastic, with output in the bag, lay down and release any air, make sure the opening is closed.  Take a flat piece of paper towel and place one under the pouch and strips of it around the  top edges of the back of the pouch too, then one on top.  Press around on the pouch and output to see if a wet spot shows up on the paper towel. Make sure you press the edges also.  If your using a sharp scissor, you could accidentally be making a tiny poke in the side or cutting away a sliver of plastic without even realizing it.  If this is the leak , then you can start to find another way to cut the hole.  It is best to use a scissor with a rounded end  to cut the hole in you wafer. Let us know if this helped to find the leak or not. I hope you are feeling well.  All the best.

Linda  

Linda

john68 and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Vicky)

Hi Angela, the same exact thing was happening to my mom. I sometimes would see leaks on her shirt, and her disposable mattress pad. I was so confused because I would change the appliance thinking there was a leak under the flange, and it was perfectly intact. After much investigation it turned out to be leaking from the filter after it was clogged. I can usually tell now when it’s clogged because I can smell it or it will expand with gas. I change the bag and it’s perfect. She’s gassy so bags with no filter aren’t really an option. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@Jeanie)

Hi there, I was using the hollister 3611 with no problems, as they were discontinued i changed to hollister 56902, I'm having so many problems with the filter leaking frequently, also I've had a few accidents on a morning when I get out of bed as the velcro at the bottom of the pouch gives way, anybody else had these problems?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@Jeanie

Hi Jeanie,

That appliance still uses the AF300 filter and I haven't had any issues with that one leaking. Has this only started happening recently or since you started using the 56902? Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy and is your output usually liquid. 

Do you also notice any physical differences with the filter between these new bags and the ones you were using? 

The velcro bottom should hold when secured properly, but it can be tricky to get it to secure 100%. Visually inspect the closure to make sure there are no gaps where the "teeth" connect.  And does the tail end give way after it's been rubbed against clothing or brushed against an object, or does the weight of the output cause it to open? 

ReplyQuote
(@Familyone)

Hello, has anyone experienced trouble with leaks/ sealing due to extreme rippling of the skin in close proximity to stoma? Seems the bag is also very close to surgical wound. Many of my fathers nurses are experiencing trouble with sealing it properly which is causing leaks almost everyday while in hospital and rehab . I’m assuming they have or are going to implement the tips / tricks above- but I’m posting this in hopes that someone has dealt with this particular issue with the rippled skin.

*Note- patient had a colostomy bag prior , but after complications during reversal surgery an ileostomy ( supposedly temporary) bag was needed.

Any input would be most appreciated from the community as it’s become a very distressing ordeal for patient I have some photos if needed - pls reach out if you feel you may have some input. We would be most grateful. ❤️

ReplyQuote
(@Familyone)

*note , I’m not %100 but I believe staff / nurses are using the paste/ putty. And I think patient is currently using Hollister bags? ( he had success with using them for his previous colostomy bag)
Again I’m not %100 but pls let me know if specific info on products used would be helpful , I’ll ask them. As stated earlier it seems the extreme rippling of skin is the major issue.
TIA to all !!

ps ps -perhaps I’m missing the option , but is there a way to search key words in comment section?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @Familyone

has anyone experienced trouble with leaks/ sealing due to extreme rippling of the skin in close proximity to stoma? Seems the bag is also very close to surgical wound.

This can be common, especially with surgical wounds close to the stoma. It's possible that his nurses will use one or more techniques to reduce the likelihood of leaks, but that's usually determined after they've had a look. 

They can use stoma paste, barrier rings, convex appliances, and anything else that might either help to smoothen the skin or fill in gaps/ripples. 

Unfortunately, there is no single solution and each problem is usually addressed on a case by case assessment. 

Posted by: @Familyone

ps ps -perhaps I’m missing the option , but is there a way to search key words in comment section?

In the comment section, no, but if you are logged in as a forum member then you can do searches for keywords in posts (and many of the comments in the comment section are mirrored to the forum). 

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@Familyone

This is very kind of you to try to find help for your father. I have been dealing with leaks for about 2 years now, for very much the same reason as your dad. There is so much scar tissue and the wound still hasn’t closed. In my experience, the hospital nurses didn’t have much specialized knowledge in dealing with stomas. A stoma nurse consultation would help your father quite a bit, I feel. 

As for me, a convex wafer has helped a lot. I use the coloplast Sensura Mio 2 piece click with a deep convexity. I also use some paste to fill in the crevices around the stoma. My leaks always occur on the side, toward to wound. I am still struggling with it, though it has improved greatly with time. I have not been trying to push my wear time too far, which has been great for me skin. For a while I was trying to maximize wear time and always ended up changing when I got a leak. But now if I change after 2 or 3 days, before I get a leak, my skin is much happier. 

Try to get your dad to a stoma nurse. Mine gave me samples, but you can also get samples from the companies directly, if you call them. Start with the brand he knows he likes, but try them all until you find the right one for him. 

Best of luck to you both!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Jamie Brown)

I am having leaks at least one or two times daily!! Your right it is so frustrating especially when you've tried EVERYTHING!! I'M at the point I just don't know what to do.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Jamie, if you can work with a stoma nurse to troubleshoot, that might help to get to the bottom of things. I'm of the firm belief that all problems have solutions, so investigating every step of your ostomy care may uncover the cause of these leaks. Good luck!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4