Community Forums

Dealing With Ostomy Leaks - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ video)  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 4, 2018 11:08 am  

Thanks for sharing that, Patty. OxyClean is a great product to have!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Ct64
 Ct64
(@ct64)
Registered
December 23, 2018 5:57 pm  

My ileostomy appliance came off 10 times in a 30 hour period.  At the 24 hour period, and after 7 changes I called my doctor.  My skin was bright red and sore.  She told me to air dry for 8 hours and then reapply.  That worked for 15 minutes.  After 2 more changes, called the on call surgeon.  

He suggested to air dry with a fan, then apply maalox or mylanta (I used mylanta) all over reddened sore area, with a qtip, to calm skin down and let dry.  Then dab skin prep over mylanta to keep in place.  Use stoma paste on wafer, apply and wear belt.

Yay, it stayed on for 1 day.  Redid it, and this time it stayed on for 2 days.  Area is pink, not red.  most of the pain is gone, and the sore area has decreased in size, immensely.

Hope this helps somebody else.  

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 23, 2018 6:23 pm  

Hi, First all all this situation sounds very extreme and very like you are having a bad reaction to your wafer. I would suggest having this seen by the stoma nurse or a dermatologist. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 31, 2018 10:15 am  
Posted by: Ct64

My ileostomy appliance came off 10 times in a 30 hour period.  At the 24 hour period, and after 7 changes I called my doctor.  My skin was bright red and sore.  She told me to air dry for 8 hours and then reapply.  That worked for 15 minutes.  After 2 more changes, called the on call surgeon.  

He suggested to air dry with a fan, then apply maalox or mylanta (I used mylanta) all over reddened sore area, with a qtip, to calm skin down and let dry.  Then dab skin prep over mylanta to keep in place.  Use stoma paste on wafer, apply and wear belt.

This is a good trick that I've heard stoma nurses suggest, however, I would always encourage investigation to see why your skin ended up sore and red to begin with. 

As John mentioned, it's possible that you're having a reaction to your wafer or another product coming in contact with your skin. If this persists, I do highly recommend having a stoma nurse look at it and possibly test you for skin allergies. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register