Clear all

In the shower

19 Posts
7 Users
14 Likes
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Topic starter  

Using gel/soap and conditioner in the shower prior to putting on a fresh plate can affect its effectiveness in sticking to the skin. When I got my stoma, the nurse advised me to keep that in mind, and to stand with my back to the shower head, which I think has really helped. This also helps, I think, when showering with the pouch on as there is not as much water force on the top of the plate, which when it gets in weakens the adhesive.

Does anybody else have any shower tricks?

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK reacted
Chelly
(@chelly)

I’m trying to figure that out now. I’ve pondered with washing my hair at night with the pouch on and with head hanging down forward. Then doing a body only shower before work in the daytime. 

I have used press and seal plastic wrap with heavy duty waterproof tape on the edges around my pouch. If you get it just right it will work so that the pouch doesn’t get wet but it takes a whole lot of the tape and that can become quite expensive. 

I have even taped a heavy duty freezer baggie over it before. I would love to figure out a contraption that will work to keep it dry. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Topic starter  

@chelly Unless it is a change day, I shower with the pouch uncovered. I wear Hollister two-piece, and yes it does get wet. I blot it dry, being careful around the edges of things, and before I get dressed I loosely tie a clean cotton handkerchief around it - this only works because it is a two-piece and has a place to tie on top above the flange/coupling. The handkerchief is flat in back of the pouch, and I fold it across in front. Then I get dressed and have my coffee; by that time the handkerchief has absorbed most of the dampness; I toss the hanky in the hamper and am good to go.

I have seen somebody else on VO tell us they place a dry washcloth back of the pouch for awhile - that would work, too, but I find that cotton handkerchiefs are a perfect size to be able to tie on top.

I don’t use conditioner in the shower; after I have dried myself off I spritz my hair with some conditioner/detangler - and that works for me.

PS - Was there somebody here on the forums who recently said he puts a shower cap over his pouch in the shower, with a little tape?

Colostomy 4/30/18.

LK and Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@llholiday thank you for mentioning not using conditioners in the shower. I totally had forgotten about leave in. I picked some up this morning. 
you mentioned something in an earlier post about not using gel soap in the shower. I have always used dove for sensitive skin but I have a bar of dial white in there too for just around my stoma. What are you currently using?

you know I think about this a lot….. if they can come up with a pouch to stay in to hold our output then certainly someone can come up with something that can go over the pouch and stick tight enough for a shower. Kind of like a slightly bigger pouch to go over the main pouch but to remove that over pouch after the shower. 
I saw those Coloplast pouches that are for a 2 peice unit that are adhesive instead of a clip on so something in that aspect. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Topic starter  

I use Dial antibacterial foam hand soap! It’s light, not greasy, and it doesn’t dry my skin. My daughter actually told me a few years ago that she uses it to wash her face: she has nice-looking skin, and I started using it, too. So, for some time I have been using it to shower (always sparingly); sometimes I even put a little on the area around my stoma, and it seems to rinse off cleanly.

I use a moisturizer on my face, and lotion on the rest of me, avoiding the area around the stoma and where the adhesive plate will be.

Colostomy 4/30/18.

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@llholiday  .. . Good topic!  I have for many years been using a Honey & Glycerin Bar Soap. Due to scented Allergies!!!  Its a gold clear bar. 3 per pack & cheap! Lol!  I love a long soak in the bathtub but only on pouch change days.  Showers in-between.  Stoma activity does not allow me to bathe or shower without a pouch on so the fabric on back of my pouch gets wet.

To dry... I use a hand towel to wrapped around the back of my pouch and twist/ tie at the top in front of the stuck on me tapes to absorb fluids & dry up before getting dressed, it doesn't seem to take long.  I recently thought of sewing a strip of wide  biase tape (bcuz its ready made stuff & cheap! Todays theme! Lol!) sewn  across a small towel, pocketed if your pouch has fabric in front & back to make a better more secure tie while drying the pouch.  Those who don't have sewing machine access, maybe find an alterations person. Its running seams shouldn't take long at all. Just saying all this makes me wonder why not just make a pouch cover with a double thickness of towel fabric instead of all this to slip on after a shower/ bath or swim...hmmm...? If you sew tou can find patterns on the internet. I had plans of making several pouch covers & some for a friend here but my severe anemia raised its ugly head again & I can barely manage running a home let alone energy for sewing. Ugh! My sincerest appologies, you know who you are!! 

On that note & Chellys Stickey issues I too have been wondering about a pieced together plastic pouched apron, the pocket with a backwards approach & the front apron being wider then the pouched area in back then tied around our waist to keep water off it "ALL, Tapes included"  but still allowing a quick wash up under the ties & around the pouch tapes before leaving the shower.  Does any of that make sense?? If it does you heard it here first! Lol! 

I'm (usually) allergic to a ton of scented products, hadn't used them in EONS,  but as of late found I can use lotions & even shower/bath gels from Bath & Body Works all containing Shea Butter.   So, because of pouch issues & still paranoid of the great malicious attack of an all over body rash from scented soaps, after using the scented product on my torso, I actually soap up with the Honey & Glycerin Bar Soap & shower those bubble off with clean water before toweling dry. This does sound like a lot of work doesn't it!?? Lol! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

I kind of get the just of what you’re saying about the apron but I think water would still get under there somehow. I have racked my brains in this problem. The only way I would see that would work would be a pouch larger than the pouch that is on us and to go over the pouch that is on us and  a circle of adhesive to go around it at the top. Kind of like Coloplast’s adhesive instead of lock clip 2 piece pouch but it would have to be much larger to go over the pouch. 

you sound like me with the fragrance allergies. Mine were much worse s few months ago and for years but somehow mine have gotten better the last few months. I’m using a nucala shot I take once a month and I stopped cpap therapy is the only thing I can think of that may have changed things around for me. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

Looking around online again today and it looks like this may be in china. I’d love to know how to get these in the link below. They look like the absolute perfect solution for a shower. 

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)

Hi Chelly, It’s Japanese not Chinese. Google peace care bath sheets  it seems to have more English and it’s on Amazon. 😀 hope that works 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@john68 thank you!!! Going to go look now! Defiantly going to buy this.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@john68 Amazon currently out of stock and they do not know when they will be available 😪

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)

Auh now!! Right I went back and checked and I see there are bath protective film sheets which look along the same lines. Sure have a peek and see what ye 🤔 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
jrachr
(@jrachr)

The reviews on the peace are more negative than these.  Might be worth a try.Depending on price.     

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Bath-Pouch-Protective-Light-Miiles/dp/B078N8J127

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Good Morning all 

When I first received my Stoma in 2016 I bought a shower cap specifically to cover my pouch . It didn't work water still got in. So know I just shower and dry pouch and barrier with towel and have no problem.  Sometimes the barrier may loosen a bit but always sticks again when dry. I shower Morning and night so I adjust hair care accordingly. And on change day it all comes off . I learned that on this forum it's nice to get it all off for a few minutes. I use dove bar soap but around my Stoma I use Dyna-Hex2 soap last. It's what hospitals use for surgeries and never have a problem with residue from regular soap and barrier sticking. I use Hollister 2 peice and when done with shower I put a Stoma cap over Stoma till I put everything back on. 

Sorry I'm long winded but hope it helps

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Chelly and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)

@chelly 

As I mentioned in other post I shower with out my bag.  I have in the past showered with the bag on and find that the material dries pretty quickly. I wear clear bags that only have the clothe on the back.

That said the video is interesting, if it works and if it is not hugely expensive it seems to be a good way to resolve the wet bag issue.

Have a good day.

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@njewell1 that’s great! I use dove sensitive all over but dial white around the stoma. Currently looking for a pump soap that has no moisturizer in it for the stoma area but seems even dial hand soap has now put moisturizer in it. I do believe what you use around the stoma is similar to hibiclens. Now today I thought what the heck after reading everyone’s post and I took a shower with the bag and dried it. Was not bad but it would be nice to find something to keep it totally dry.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@jrachr yes or I swear one day I’m going to design something in my own lol!!

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@cygo did it today and was not too bad. Like you mine are clear and plastic material on backing.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@john68 yes I was looking at those. I bought similar about 3 years ago and they fell off but they were a different brand.the best thing I’ve tried so far was press and seal and hy tape but you have to get the hy tape sealed just right and you have to use a lot and becomes expensive after a while.

ReplyQuote