Community Forums

Wearing Your Ostomy...

Notifications
Clear all

Wearing Your Ostomy Bag Horizontally: FAQ (w/ video)

18 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Do you wear your appliance horizontally?

My written article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@Joe Sordi)

I'm wondering if one could wear bag vertically. Simply do not zip the belt and allow bottom part to hang outside the belt. This gives some support for low volume exercise like golf.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Joe,

Vertical is the common way to wear these bags, however, not everyone likes it in that position depending on what they're doing. For those who have a lower stoma or who may not have the option of wearing it hanging down, horizontal is a great option.

ReplyQuote
(@Tyler Gendron)

Hello, I’m new to a colostomy, its temporary and hopefully will be reversed within the year. What belts do you recommend for someone who does tuck in their shirt every day and don’t want to spend a fortune on belts. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Tyler, depending on where you live, there are many options! You may want to check prices on the manufacturer's website. I have a list of various companies here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-clothing-manufacturers/

ReplyQuote
 Sean
(@Sean)

Hey man! New ostomate here- 6 weeks in. I’ve been pretty gung-ho, just doing stuff and working it out with support from my stoma nurse. Recently got a stealth belt and horizontal pouch rules - sooooo much more comfortable and “natural feeling”, just feels like the spare tyre I used to have before my surgery and al the weight loss!! Haha
Thanks for your tips - I came here for tips on emptying, and what you said was awesome - I was worried about the filter, but doesn’t seem to matter that much. It’s a fraction harder to empty, but I might put the bag on at a slight downward angle.
I’m gonna try the kneeling squat technique, will be easier with a horizontal bag.
No more tucking into the the belt, no more accidentally tucking into the undies and scratching up the junk.... I’m a convert to horizontal (with stealthbelt).
Thanks for your website - my wife is vegan, I’m freegan (vegan at home but if someone else is cooking....), so I’m gonna poke around the website for diet tips... thanks for all your sharing!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Sean, that's so awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience! Let me know if kneeling helps to make emptying your bag easier.

ReplyQuote
 Sue
(@Sue)

Hi,
I have a temporary ileostomy and am one month in. Experiencing leaks almost daily. Sometimes going through 5 pouches in a day because the skin is broken around the stoma and the adhesive won’t stick.

Out of the all WOC nurses at the hospital and home health nurses, you have been the most helpful person through this challenging journey. Thank you so much for providing such good advice and answering all the important questions that newbies like me don’t know to ask.

Be well and keep doing what you’re doing ?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Sue, thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry that you've been experiencing so many problems and I hope that it gets sorted out for you soon.

ReplyQuote
(@GRAHAM MOCKFORD)

Hi I have been wearing my stoma bag vertically since my op but now I have a Stoma belt and unsure to wear bag horizontally. Trial and error m, hopefully get to you all with positive outcomes. Stay safe all and thanks everyone that shares ?

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@RoxannePB)

I stumbled on this a while back but I was too chicken to try. A couple days ago I happened to put some baby oil in the top of my pouch (Hollister 2-piece) for the pancaking issues I’ve been having. A little while later I was checking to make sure everything was snapped together and I felt the sliding! I must have gotten some oil on the ring. It works so well. I wore it that way to work today. No problems moving it back and forth to empty and felt that everything stayed snapped together. And it actually helps my pancaking since my stoma started pushing out the top as well.

I’m a believer!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing that, Roxanne!

ReplyQuote
(@Corina)

Hi, my husband got an Urostomy about a month ago. He is 45 and very conscious about his looks. I ordered a comfort belt horizontal and vertical for him but he is afraid of using the horizontal one. Is it OK to wear it with an Urostomy as well?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Corina,

It's good that you've given your husband options! While you can wear the horizontal belt with a urostomy, the liquid output will make it less convenient to manage. Not impossible, but it depends on how often his bag fills up and the volume it fills to before he can empty it.

I use the vertical style all the time, and I think he'll love that one a lot.

Best of luck to you both!

ReplyQuote
(@yvan-charbonneau)

@veganostomy 

Hi everyone sorry for disappearing for a while by been dealing with too much of Life lately lots of medical and now personal matters to be s regular here. 

But I will say this i can’t seem to be able to wear my ostomy bag horizontally ever. Notice that the output wears my flange out faster and irritates my skin more no mater if I keep my bag empty’s more often I also got more « accidents » that way. Any one else get the same issues?

ReplyQuote
(@yvan-charbonneau)

Oh good god why didn’t I think of that !!! I prefer to have have my bag leaning to my right when I drive and ti my left when isleép as I know can sleep on my left side again i have a hard time turning my appliance (2 part holister as well) to shift frOm driving or sleep mode, can’t believe I havnt thought of that sooner 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @yvan-charbonneau

Notice that the output wears my flange out faster and irritates my skin more no mater if I keep my bag empty’s more often I also got more « accidents » that way. Any one else get the same issues?

What specific wafer are you wearing? "Regular wear" will not be as durable compared to "extended wear" products. In the Hollilster line, go with flextend of the ceraplus products if you find that your appliance is wearing out quickly. 

Liquid output, especially from an ileostomy, will degrade the wafer faster than dry output or output from a colostomy.

ReplyQuote
(@yvan-charbonneau)

I didn’t know there was a difference in wafers. But I’ll take a look and see what they are.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote