Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Wearing Your Ostomy Bag Horizontally: FAQ (w/ video)  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 17, 2016 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Do you wear your appliance horizontally?

My written article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Joe Sordi
 Joe Sordi
(@Joe Sordi)
June 1, 2019 11:02 am  

I'm wondering if one could wear bag vertically. Simply do not zip the belt and allow bottom part to hang outside the belt. This gives some support for low volume exercise like golf.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 1, 2019 11:24 am  

Hi Joe,

Vertical is the common way to wear these bags, however, not everyone likes it in that position depending on what they're doing. For those who have a lower stoma or who may not have the option of wearing it hanging down, horizontal is a great option.

ReplyQuote
Tyler Gendron
 Tyler Gendron
(@Tyler Gendron)
June 19, 2019 10:16 am  

Hello, I’m new to a colostomy, its temporary and hopefully will be reversed within the year. What belts do you recommend for someone who does tuck in their shirt every day and don’t want to spend a fortune on belts. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 19, 2019 11:47 am  

Hey Tyler, depending on where you live, there are many options! You may want to check prices on the manufacturer's website. I have a list of various companies here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-clothing-manufacturers/

ReplyQuote
Sean
 Sean
(@Sean)
January 21, 2020 5:53 am  

Hey man! New ostomate here- 6 weeks in. I’ve been pretty gung-ho, just doing stuff and working it out with support from my stoma nurse. Recently got a stealth belt and horizontal pouch rules - sooooo much more comfortable and “natural feeling”, just feels like the spare tyre I used to have before my surgery and al the weight loss!! Haha
Thanks for your tips - I came here for tips on emptying, and what you said was awesome - I was worried about the filter, but doesn’t seem to matter that much. It’s a fraction harder to empty, but I might put the bag on at a slight downward angle.
I’m gonna try the kneeling squat technique, will be easier with a horizontal bag.
No more tucking into the the belt, no more accidentally tucking into the undies and scratching up the junk.... I’m a convert to horizontal (with stealthbelt).
Thanks for your website - my wife is vegan, I’m freegan (vegan at home but if someone else is cooking....), so I’m gonna poke around the website for diet tips... thanks for all your sharing!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 21, 2020 9:46 am  

Sean, that's so awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience! Let me know if kneeling helps to make emptying your bag easier.

ReplyQuote
Sue
 Sue
(@Sue)
July 10, 2020 11:29 pm  

Hi,
I have a temporary ileostomy and am one month in. Experiencing leaks almost daily. Sometimes going through 5 pouches in a day because the skin is broken around the stoma and the adhesive won’t stick.

Out of the all WOC nurses at the hospital and home health nurses, you have been the most helpful person through this challenging journey. Thank you so much for providing such good advice and answering all the important questions that newbies like me don’t know to ask.

Be well and keep doing what you’re doing 🙂

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 15, 2020 10:04 am  

Sue, thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry that you've been experiencing so many problems and I hope that it gets sorted out for you soon.

ReplyQuote