Notifications
Clear all

Dry Bag Shower Solution  

RSchwindel
(@rschwindel)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hello!

My boyfriend is a relatively new ostomate, he had emergency surgery in August 2020. He has done extensive research on many items to make everyday life with an ostomy easier. He's made quiet a few things himself and wanted to share one with you to hopefully make showering with a bag on more enjoyable. He showers daily but doesn't like to get his bag/flange wet. He came up with this set up and thinks it could really help other people struggling with the same showering issues. You may already have the right tupperware in your cupboard: round or rectangle whatever seals the best for your shape..belt is a strap from one of my game cameras! 😁 Any belt should work that can get wet. A little gorrila tape and strips of hook side velcro to keep belt from sliding. Fold pouch up inside and cinch belt down..10 seconds and everything stays dry! The cost is about $1 for 3 containers (if you don't have what you need already) some tape, velcro and a belt!!"

Loveanimals, GoatHerder, john68 and 1 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Thanks for posting this 😀 

Your account is too new to post photos so here they are : 

1610428204-Resized_20201215_102132_1057.jpg

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Photo 2:

1610428230-Resized_20201215_102051_9677.jpg

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Photo 3

1610428248-Resized_20201215_102519_6444.jpg

ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

That's quite clever!  I don't mind getting my Hollister wafer and bag wet, as they pat dry in seconds with a nice fluffy towel.But his solution is brilliant for those who want to keep things dry!

Thanks for sharing!

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

RSchwindel... Welcome to VO!! Awesome tip! Thankyou for sharing.  I wonder how that would work in a hot bath for an hour...or a hot tub?? I love a hot bath but the C shaped tapes get too soft so I have one the day I change pouches. Has he tried this in a bath tub? I find that wrapping a small towel around my pouch once out of the shower that it dries pretty quickly. However I'd be interested to know if he's used it in a hot tub or swimming even.  

Linda

ReplyQuote
RSchwindel
(@rschwindel)
Registered
Topic starter  
  • @dlkfiretruck - Hello! He has not tried it in a bath tub or hot tub but he takes long hot showers and has never had water get inside. I don't see why it wouldn't in the bath or hot tub though as long as the bowl is able to sit flat against your skin. 

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
mmz
 mmz
(@mmz)
Registered

Great tip! Very humid where I live and getting fabric on bag dry after showering isn't easy. I used one of those 2" wide stretchy rubber therabands to secure the plastic tub. Got lucky and it fit my waist just right. Bag stayed cozy and dry. Thanks!

LK and GoatHerder liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@mmz...Welcome to VO!  Why don't you start a new forum and introduce yourself?! Tell us about your story & how long have you had a stoma and how has it gone for you? We like to give a proper welcome to newbies, old or new stoma does not matter. Know you are welcome here either way, no pressure!! 

The plastic/deli type container is a pretty good tip! Glad to hear it worked for you! I enjoy a bath & though I find the material dries quickly enough, l'm curious about fighting it lifting up with air in the container & the natural ability for it to possibly float off.  On thinking about this, l suppose the air could be substituted with small  dry cloths. Hmmm........

Linda

ReplyQuote
Loveanimals
(@loveanimals)
Registered

@veganostomy

So cleaver!!!I love it and will probably try it thank you!!!

ReplyQuote