Community Forums

Dealing with Ostomy Blockages (w/ video)  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 12, 2016 11:00 am  

Blockages! Let's talk about how to prevent and manage them.

A written article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
Finbarr Griffin
 Finbarr Griffin
(@Finbarr Griffin)
January 19, 2018 11:18 am  

Fantastic article, and really informative. Your information on all aspects of having an ostomy is educating me.
Thank you.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 19, 2018 11:19 am  

Thank you! Glad the information has been useful :)

LK liked
ReplyQuote
John Dickin
 John Dickin
(@John Dickin)
February 19, 2018 8:01 am  

Thanks for your help.Illiostomy 9years. It decided to block now while motohoming in Portugal. Three weeks in Faro General . Two with tube up nose into stomach. Out now thee days in and a few twinges. Decided to recover here in Portugal, as weather is great here compared to U.K. Eating little and often, water only, no salad very week at the moment due to hospitalization. But like a flat battery. but I will get there. Good Luck. John.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Daniel Shaw
 Daniel Shaw
(@Daniel Shaw)
December 7, 2018 3:20 pm  

I really found a lot of this information helpful. However being that I have been dealing with this for a very long time and dealt with most of the stuff that you have discussed. There is 1 things that has worked for me that has not been mentioned being that I've had this condition for quite a while I have noticed that you can internally plush as if you are trying to go to the bathroom! If you have a blockage at the same time gently apply pressure and push in around you're stoma and your blockage might shoot loose. I find it best to do this without a bag in the shower you would be amazed at what will come out I've had whole slices of mushrooms yes at that time I did not know not to eat mushrooms. Also my GI gave me the worst advice possible I had choked on a piece of me and after looking at my throat decided that it was Scar from acid reflux. So it was decided to do a surgery on my throat. All that was fine but Mighty I told me not to eat meat which dissolves quite fine in my stomach when I said well what should I eat he told me pasta. Then I G I told me to take antacid every single morning. So following my GI instruction taking my antacid every morning I had a bowl of mac and cheese which dissolved in my stomach and became a complete hard blockage in my intestines swallowing my whole stomach up to the point of me squeezing my intestines and all it was very painful. It's been a week now I'm mostly cleared out but still have some blockage. I think I'm close to getting it all out but the last thing I want to do is go to the hospital have never had a pleasant experience there. LOL

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 8, 2018 11:25 am  

Hi Daniel. I also internally push to get stuff out. I would use extreme caution, however, as it can cause the blockage to worsen, lead to prolapse, or create a hernia.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Rachel
 Rachel
(@Rachel)
April 17, 2019 10:02 pm  

When my grandma has a blockage, I rub some YL Digize oil on her belly. Normally within 2 hours everything starts rushing out.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 18, 2019 9:36 am  
Posted by: Rachel

When my grandma has a blockage, I rub some YL Digize oil on her belly. Normally within 2 hours everything starts rushing out.

That's really interesting, Rachel. Thanks for sharing! 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Awc19
(@awc19)
Registered
April 19, 2019 4:47 pm  

Thanks, Rachel. I use YL products and have Digize which I have used for stomach aches and constipation. I am a newbie here and still gathering helpful tips. This is one I am not looking forward to having to try but will remember it when and if I need it.

Alice

Alice

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LizKrohn
(@lizkrohn)
Registered
May 8, 2019 4:11 am  

Watch out for apple skins. Rather peel!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LizKrohn
(@lizkrohn)
Registered
May 8, 2019 4:14 am  

We need special facebook or other platforms so us veterans can help newbies AND I learn something new each time. I had a skin problem and it was a newbie that helped me change my whole skin protection method. No more skin problems!!!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 8, 2019 7:42 am  

Wow, so many newbies or near newbies here. Welcome to you all. I found that Eric has provided so much valuable information here that this is the only place I go and keep coming back to. If you have questions or need to discuss something, you can go to the top of the page  click on "Forum" and "new topics" area to start a forum. Foods can be tricky sometimes and if you keep a food journal for about the first six months you will be able to better identify what works for your guts. Drink plenty of fluids with/between meals to help aide in digestion. If you, like most of us, enjoy a meal with pasta/rice or something similar, try and eat a salad and slightly softer cooked veggies with it to balance the hard/ soft, digestion issues. Fruits like honeydew, cantelope, and watermelon, back up a meal that is likely to thicken things up.  I find on occasion I have to relearn what I can and cannot eat.  

John Dickin...On holiday yet, not fun at all. So sorry it had to be a bad experience for you. Heal well and take short walks to help move things along when you can. Stay hydrated.

Liz Krohn...Fruit peels and skins can be hard to digest and fall under the insoluble fibers. Be careful with how much of it you eat. Skins around orange segments can have their say to.

Awc19...Alice, rest assured that not everyone gets blockages or further tummy troubles. What brought you here after a 9 year stoma? I know that I needed people with a stoma in my life when I found this site. And am so glad I did. Eric always adds new things to educate us.

Rachel...how sweet to take care of your grandma the way you do. Tell us a bit about her if you want and how and when she became an ostomate. How is that you get to help along her journey with her stoma? Is anyone else pitching In to help you? 

Daniel, Rachel and Finbar and anyone new reading this forum...Please do not try the suggestions of rubbing and pushing around your stoma and tummy too soon after surgery.  This can cause other issues with deeper stitches and scar tissue that have not healed yet. I asked my doctor to show me how my guts were laid out inside me after surgery. This can open the door to ask him about trouble shooting blockages and bad gas. Ask when and how, you should go to to ER if you have pain of any kind. A good lot of us have had years of experience and have healed well inside and out so these things can work for us, but you are all still healing and need the time to complete the task. If I feel too full a feeling in my belly and cramping I will lay down and rest, turning from side to side every ten min. or so. This helps to move gas around without the pushing on your tummy too soon after surgery. Certainly if the pain is bad, do not hesitate to make see your doctor, stoma nurse or ER department. Better safe, then sorry right? Down the road when things have healed more manipulating your gut may work for you, but give it at least a year just to be safe and always check with the doctor or stoma nurse. All the best to you all and most of all...be well. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 8, 2019 10:57 am  
Posted by: LizKrohn

We need special facebook or other platforms so us veterans can help newbies AND I learn something new each time.

That's what I hope these community forums can do :)  Welcome! 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 8, 2019 11:08 am  

A whole devoted website to every thing ostomy, it doesn’t get much better than this

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register