Transparent bags?

5 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I am fairly new to all of this and have been using transparent Hollister bags up till now. For the first time I just ordered the totally covered drainable pouches from Hollister. Can someone please explain to me what the advantages of having a transparent bag is?

also which works better the Velcro closure or the plastic closure I’ve seen advertised?

VeganOstomy reacted
(@john68)

Hi Rick, Welcome to the forum. ( meant to do that in my last post) Some prefer the clear bag as it gives a view of the stoma and output. Some covered bags will have a flap which allows you to lift and view.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @rick

Can someone please explain to me what the advantages of having a transparent bag is?

I use them because I like to see what's going on. It gives me the ability to see my wafer of eroded around the stoma, and if my stoma is retracting. Since I wear a pouch cover or some other accessory to cover the bag, it's never in plain sight of others. 

I also prefer having no cloth cover on the bag as it makes drying it a lot easier after showers.

also which works better the Velcro closure or the plastic closure I’ve seen advertised?

I'm not a fan of plastic clips, but most velcro and velcro-like closures have worked well for me, and they give me less to worry about (i.e. plastic clips falling into the toilet or breaking). 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@rosepritchard)

Hi,

I am fairly new to all of this and have been using transparent Hollister bags up till now. For the first time I just ordered the totally covered drainable pouches from Hollister. Can someone please explain to me what the advantages of having a transparent bag is?

I, too, much prefer using transparent bags just so I can see what's going on in there. I started off with them as they were supplied by the hospital on discharge. I then decided to give the Sensura Mio bags a try, which proved to be a big mistake as I was allergic to the adhesive. Back to Colopast clear which I find supremely comfortable and easy. However I remember one of my stoma nurses saying that she wouldn't have been able to put up with being able to see inside the bag all the time! So I suppose it just comes down to personal preference.

I did try a variety of different samples with the plastic closures but didn't get on with these at all - I find Velcro is really easy to use. 

All the best to you.

Rose
ileostomy December 2019

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

myself, more than not, I can feel when the flange is eroded too much. 

has anyone really saw a problem that needed medical attention that wasn't "felt" ?

personally I've never felt a reason I needed to "look" right now, 12yrs counting.  but I do have a colostomy and they seem a good deal different than a ileostomy.

ReplyQuote