Notifications
Clear all

Colostomy Bag Odor Mystery  

RSS

Makena
(@makena)
Registered
June 24, 2020 9:50 pm  

I've had a colostomy bag for about 9 months, using a 2 piece Hollister system.   For the first 7 months, I'd change the system every 3rd day, no issues at all.   About 2 months ago, I noticed that after 2 days, a mild odor would emit from the area of the bag/system.   Not a strong one as if there was a leak or something popped open.   The odor was consistent, mild and would linger on my t-shirts afterward.  It was annoying enough that I began changing every other day.  I'm not having any leakages.

I called my doctor and Hollister for recommendations.  I switched from a filter bag to non-filter and it's still happening - so we eliminated that as a possible cause.  They've run out of ideas, so I thought I'd reach out to see you have any suggestions.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 25, 2020 12:34 am  

Welcome to the forums.

Out of curiosity, was there a yellow notice card in your box of bags that indicated that you have the new and improved bags? I wonder if you're noticing this after the change.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Makena
(@makena)
Registered
June 25, 2020 10:29 pm  

@veganostomy I haven't seen any yellow notice cards in any recent shipments.   What would they indicate?

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 26, 2020 11:17 am  

@makena The card lets you know if you're using the new chlorine-free pouch film. https://www.hollister.com/en/pouchfilm

The new pouch film is supposed to be more odor-resistant, but it's thinner than the previous one and I'm not sure if your experience became worse after the switch.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Makena
(@makena)
Registered
June 28, 2020 8:33 pm  

@veganostomy

Thanks for the link - I'm not sure. I'll check with Hollister tomorrow.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 29, 2020 9:38 am  

Ok, this seems to be a greater issue here. I've had two other people tell me that their Hollister bags now smell, even though it's always been fine for them. 

Please, contact Hollister to let them know. There could be a quality control issue that's been issue, but they can only fix it if people tell them. 

LK and Makena liked
ReplyQuote
Makena
(@makena)
Registered
June 29, 2020 6:11 pm  

@veganostomy

I reached out to Hollister today and sure enough, they said they changed the pouches around the time that the smells started.   So I think that's the issue - thanks for bringing this up.   Maybe I should look at another brand - do you have any recommendations?

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
June 29, 2020 10:01 pm  

This isn’t about the Hollister bags but an FYI on Montreal GelPlus deodorant/lubricant. It has been my lifesaver for 5 years now as odor literally kept me from going out at times.  I tried EVERYTHING and nothing touched it but GelPlus. And insurance paid for it. Well. Such bad news. The manufacturer has stopped making the whole line of deodorants. I searched online and bought some from one company that had some in stock but had to pay out of pocket. Medicare won’t reimburse and it’s expensive for me or I’d buy out their whole stock today. 😢🥺

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

VeganOstomy and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 30, 2020 5:26 am  

@makena...WELCOME to VO! I have two dogs who have excellent sniffers & always are the first to  inform  me of any odor issues! They are always right too! Lol! 

I can't  help but wonder why companies make these kind of changes! After all... " If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! "

I have not noticed a change in pouches as of yet & I too use Hollister. I'm Dreading that issue!! I also use their  M9 liquid deoderant drops. It has worked great for me. They also carry and will send you samples of their M9 and an "Odor Elininator Spray"  for your washroom air. It comes I  2 sizes. But  ask for samples. 

All the best people! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 30, 2020 11:08 am  
Posted by: @makena

Maybe I should look at another brand - do you have any recommendations?

As I am a Hollister user, I will stick with their 2pc for now (I haven't had an issue with odor and have been using these new bags since last summer), but I may use the M9 deodorant drops on a more regular basis to prevent any odor seepage. 

My first recommendation is to use an in-pouch deodorant to see if that helps. You are free to experiment with other brands if you have the time - it's always a good idea to find the most ideal appliance for your needs anyway :)

Did Hollister say that they are working on fixing this problem or did they just acknowledge the change and that's it? 

ReplyQuote
Makena
(@makena)
Registered
June 30, 2020 12:52 pm  

@veganostomy

I've used both the gel and deodorant drops and they helped until this problem started.   The smell is still seeping thru the bag - just enough to notice around the 40 hour mark .   When I talked with Hollister, they said they would pass on my issue to their product department.   

I really appreciate everyone's input here.   When I would call my doctor's office or Hollister previously, I think they thought I was imagining this.   The switch in the product material makes so much sense now.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 30, 2020 1:38 pm  
Posted by: @makena

The switch in the product material makes so much sense now.

The frustrating part about this change is that it was supposed to offer BETTER odor protection, not worse. :(  I hope this gets sorted out, but if it is happening because of the new film, it's likely that this will be corrected in the near future. 

ReplyQuote
nnamerz
(@nnamerz)
Registered
October 27, 2020 12:33 am  

Hi all,

I was struggling with this odor issue for some time and could not figure it out for the life of me. I really was convinced that it was the Hollister bags that were causing the problem for me. I did switch over to Coloplast products, which are actually working out well. But after some time with the new products, one day I suddenly smelled the same odor again. Through the process of elimination, I think I have determined the culprit to be Arrowroot. I would often eat Arrowroot cookies, especially just after my surgery where my diet was more limited. Over time I cut down, and then one day I ate them again and the smell came back. I still can't be 100% sure, but I am 99% convinced now.

Hopefully this might help someone else who is having trouble.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2020 3:20 pm  

@nnamerz That's really interesting. Try it a few more times off and on to see if the pattern continues. 

ReplyQuote