Clear all

Suggestions?  

RSS

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
October 12, 2020 3:22 pm  

Hi all,

I sure appreciate all the support around my surgery. I have come across a small problem.  I have a long incision (at least 10 inches) down the middle of my tummy that is sewn shut in places, left unstitched in places and has a big hole that gets packed with curlex gauze. Then I have a drain tube sewn into my tummy a bit below my ostomy. 

During surgery they put an appliance on my that is different from what I use. I was surprised that it actually lasted until yesterday (almost 5 days). I’m not sure what it was but the wafer was very flexible. When it started leaking yesterday, I took it off and was going to put on my Sensura Mio click, but the wafer is too big and goes over where the drain is stitched to my tummy. I have some one piece Sensura Mio bags and the wafer is a bit smaller. It just barely rubs up against the edge of the stitch holding the drain tube in place. It isn’t ideal, because it is sensitive where the drain is attached. 

This morning I had another leak, which leaked down to where the drain is inserted. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle trying to place the ostomy appliance with the drain so close. Do you guys have any suggestions of what I should do?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 12, 2020 3:54 pm  

Liza, Would a little bit trimmed of the wafer help, to much could compromise but worth a try. Also ring the hospital and find out what appliance they used. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, ChrisandBagpus, sjlovestosing and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
October 12, 2020 5:07 pm  

@john68

Thanks John. I don’t know why I didn’t think to trim the wafer smaller. I probably can do that along the bottom where it rubs against the drain tube. 

In looking online to compare, I’m pretty sure it was a Hollister pouch they put on me during surgery. The wafer was so thin and flexible compared to the Sensura Mio I usually use. They put it on sideways to avoid the drain. With mine I wasn’t able to put it on sideways because the wafer is oval and much bigger from side to side than top to bottom, so the bag is hanging over the drain. 

Fortunately this is a short term problem. I have a follow up on October 22nd and they are supposed to remove the drain then. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
October 13, 2020 7:53 am  

Liza

Yes trim a bit of the wafer will work remember to radius the cut edge so the thicker edge doesn't dig in you have enough pain without the constant digging of the wafer edge

If you recall I cut my wafer to a flower petal shape to help it adhere better. cutting back the size of the wafer is okay and I find it can increase the wear time. I found it useful to keep it away from the wound, be careful with your adhesive remover near the dressing.

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK and sjlovestosing liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 13, 2020 12:00 pm  

@squeakyandliza You certainly can trim the wafer, and I've had to do that as well due to incisions being close to the stoma site. 

A word of warning: don't' cut too much, especially near the flange, or your wafer will not have enough area to stick to your skin and hold properly (I've learned that lesson the hard way). 

It if helps, try cutting the hole in your wafer so it's offset a little, in the opposite direction of where the incisions are. This will give you more room to work with if you still need to trim a little more. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
October 15, 2020 5:47 am  

I have had to cut the hole for the stoma off set as well, and it worked well giving the same tape security, avoiding a wound at the same time. We are all cheering you on Lady ! Continued prayer for healing & Best Wishes!! 

Nurse Tom...your pretty awesome caring for your wife as she heals thru this sort of challenging surgery! I admire your strength & courage! You are in my prayers too! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
October 15, 2020 5:53 am  

Liza, one more thing, keeping the weight of a pouch with contents,  off your extra plumbing is probably best for the tubes. I would continue to wear the pouch at least angled off & away from the tube to avoid  rubbing & possibly causing an issue there to your skin  & inside areas needing to heal. Virtual hug to you!! 💐

Linda

ReplyQuote