Clear all

Coloplast itchy rash  

RSS

Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
November 11, 2020 12:03 pm  

Love the coloplast bags, but I get a itchy rash around the outside of application ring, not necessarily under the attachment site.  Anyone experience itching around the outside of water barrier?

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 11, 2020 12:26 pm  

Hi Rick, How often are you changing your appliance, if it’s left on too long that ring is soaking up moisture which it’s supposed to do, but to long and it will cause problems. That’s the same with all makes. Just my thoughts 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
November 11, 2020 12:38 pm  

I would ask the same question as John, but I also wonder if you’re using a barrier wipe? I always use Brava barrier wipe before I put a new flange on - it gets rid of any soap residue from washing the area, and keeps my skin from getting itchy between changing appliances. In hot weather, I will also use the Brava powder after using the barrier wipe, then I brush off the area with my hand before I put the flange on. That seems to work for me, but I don’t have skin issues very often. 

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
November 11, 2020 1:19 pm  

Hi Rick,

I sometimes get a rash around the barrier. This is usually because I sweat in that area especially when it's hot. During the summer, I usually place a paper towel under my bag to absorb the moisture. It seems to help. But try the suggestions from John and tigerlily. Both of them make sense to me.

Stella

ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
November 11, 2020 2:31 pm  

@sjlovestosing

thanks will try barrier..coloplast instructions said not to use one..

ReplyQuote
Erin
 Erin
(@n64gbachick)
Registered
November 13, 2020 1:41 am  

Hi Rick,  sorry you are having problems!

All good advise so far; but I'll just add the irritation could also be caused by the barrier rubbing against skin as you sit, lie down, move, etc. It's also possible it could be a mix of things, though I would rule out any sort of allergic reaction since it's only on the outside of the wafer.

I used Coloplast for years (before I DID become allergic :-|  ) and always needed the extra protection of a barrier wipe. They probably say not to use it because it COULD reduce wear time for some people, but everyone has different needs. I would try it on a day where you plan to be home to be safe though.

Make sure to get all the residue off as Tigerlilly mentioned with either water and a cloth or an adhesive remover wipe.  Let the skin dry well, than apply the barrier wipe making sure to get the skin on the outside of the wafer. The extra skin protection might also help with sweating if that is part of the issue. It may take some time to see results but give it a few days and let us know either way.

Another thing might be the wafer is too large and causing the possible rubbing I mentioned earlier when you are in different positions. You could try cutting it down a bit (I do this with my Hollister 2 piece square wafer) or if you wear a 2 piece possibly switching to a smaller size (as long as you can still use the pouch you want).

In any case, make sure to  try these experiments when you are home in case they don't go well, but I hope they do!

Take care,
Erin

Female, 30's. Emergency Ileo in 2010 due to Ulcerative Colitis.

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
November 14, 2020 6:59 am  

My experience with a 2 piece coloplast is:

I also notice when its hot or I'm sweaty there is some irritation under the wafer

I think mucus and some output getting under the wafer cause redness and itching, also the wafer becomes less pliable and degrades faster.

I notice the wafer un-attaches and re-sticks down again that causes pulling and possibly soreness also the wafer doesn't stretch with the changing size and shape of the skin around the stoma re-sticking and pulling on the stick also the adhesive starts to ball up outside the wafer and irritates.

I notice after 2 to 3 days the wafer has a void between the skin and the wafer directly around the stoma probable because the wafer has due to the output or time hardened and degraded. I tried barrier rings but they stick to the wafer and not the skin not solving the problem.

The last two I find the hardest to solve I wonder if a very thin under wafer skin barrier like microskin would work. My stoma nurse will not prescribed they are expensive and therefore the pharmacy will not issue without one, if anyone has experience i'm interested to know.

I find I can put a calendula (marigold) cream around the stoma that will if lightly applied will soak into the skin and not affect the sticking of the wafer, it helps with the soreness.

One last thought Rick, the itching above the bag are you reacting to the material of the bag rubbing against the skin where it might be restricted in movement by clothing, try a local cream or cover the area with a soft material.

Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

Erin liked
ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
November 18, 2020 11:22 pm  

Thanks for reply..I got more samples and they said to try the skin barrier with it.  On the 2ndday of wear, seeing red itchy rash under AND around the water barrier.  I must be sensitive to the plastic (or whatever it is)...can’t wait for bag changing day!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
November 19, 2020 2:38 am  

@rick

My skin is super sensitive. I have had horribly irritated skin, especially if I get output on it. I have had reasonable success lately by cutting the hole in my wafer a tiny bit smaller, using paste, and changing the wafer every other day. 

I hope you figure out what works for you. Having irritated skin is horrible!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 20, 2020 1:31 am  

@rick...yes, I get plenty itchy around the edge of the tapes to my pouch. Its usually at the start of dry skin. I use Hollister & have safely moisturize the showing skin with a unscented hand cream or I really prefer the bit of an eczema cream I use. It can be bought over the counter without a prescription & get a cream, not a ointment if possible, greasy is all, it usually knocks off any itch immediatly. I have sensitive skin. 

Good luck figuring it out! Lots of ideas here. If moitures the issue, Hollister makes a pouch with a material on the back only.  No need for paper towel, but if hooked on the pouch your using, which would make sense,  then how about a pouch cover. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Erin
 Erin
(@n64gbachick)
Registered
November 20, 2020 7:09 am  

@chrisandbagpus: Well I guess it's not the case but good idea it might have been the actual bag rubbing. It sounds like you're going through some frustrating things as well trying to get a proper seal. That is odd the barrier rings aren't sticking; you might want to get samples of different brands as some are more stickier than others, or try different brands of stoma paste. 

I have pretty sensitive skin and in the past have tried those skin barrier dressings but ended up having reactions to most of them, plus many felt very thick. I also tried Tegaderm (had some leftover from using a WoundVac) and it was ok but again eventually ended up with irritated skin. They have it on Amazon though if you want to try it. Interestingly when I tried Cymed pouches back before all the problems I don't recall having irritation even though they use a similar barrier. Seems the products are getting better so perhaps you could try a sample of those?

Overall though it sounds like you and @rick may need to experiment with different products and 'set ups'(like I need 2 applications of skin prep) to figure out what works best for you. I  suggest keeping notes and only trying out one change at a time to narrow down what is working and what isn't.

@rick  Oh no! It sounds like maybe you should try a different skin barrier wipe/spray since the problem got worse.  :(  Somewhere (probably here) I discovered Tincture of Benzoin and it's been a total game changer for me; soothed my itchy irritated skin. You can use it as a skin prep or in conjunction with one.

Female, 30's. Emergency Ileo in 2010 due to Ulcerative Colitis.

ReplyQuote