Community Forums

Stoma Protectors for Daily Life and Contact Sports  

RSS

Jonathon
(@jonathon)
Registered
09/06/2017 2:14 am  

Hi Eric,

I have some general questions for you and anyone else who may have experience with stoma protectors.  I am looking around for a product that will protect my stoma during hockey, but also want something for day to day life.  Also, I am a relatively new ostomate who is dealing with the challenges of daily leakage (I'm on appliance #10 this week!).  I am looking for something that will help control and, preferably, eliminate leaking (I've tried rings, pastes, duofilms, etc.).  My stoma is quite close to my belly button and the surgery has left a nice little divit acting as a conduit between my stoma and my belly button.  On top of that, the curve of my stomach also doesn't allow the wafer to sit flat around my stoma.  Anyways, these questions are in no particular order, but may help with my decision as to what product to choose.

1. A friend recently brought to my attention the stoma guard from Ostomy Armour.  I see on one of your product reviews that you recommended it and provided a link, but don't actually have a video review.  I am quite interested in this product (e.g., T-Max), but the only reviews / testimonials I can find are on the Ostomy Armour website itself.  Do you know much about or have any thoughts on their products?
  2. I see you have recommended the StomaShield and provided a video.  I noticed that the StomaShield fits on either side of the wafer, whereas the Ostomy Armour guard appears to cover the wafer.  Ostomy Armour claims that this helps to greatly reduce leakage by holding it down firmly, which is part of the reason why I am interested in this product.  Did you have any leakage issues with the StomaShield?  Given my situation, might you expect leakage with the StomaShield?
  3. Despite claims by Ostomy Armour that their stoma guard can be worn 24/7, it doesn't really appear like it would be a comfortable product to wear all day, every day, especially when sleeping (when leaks often happen).  Hence, I am also looking into the StealthBelt.  My main concern, again, would be with respect to leakage.  Would the StealthBelt firmly hold the wafer to my stomach to help cut down on leakage?
  4. I currently have my appliance in the vertical position.  You've stated that you like yours horizontally.  How did you determine that prior to having a belt for support?  I don't really like the look of the vertical StealthBelt (It's much larger and does not appear to hold the appliance as firmly against the body), but I don't know if I'd like wearing my appliance horizontally and I'm not too sure how I'd find out if I did without a belt for support.
  5. I tend to be a side sleeper, which has me concerned that if I were to buy a StealthBelt designed for an ileostomy (right side hole), that I'd be applying a lot of pressure on my appliance as I sleep.  Do you know of any ileostomates who have purchased a StealthBelt with a let side hole and had the appliance horizontally across the stomach (i.e., front instead of side)?   Do you see any issues with that?

Thanks for your help!

Jonathon

Marco
(@marco)
Registered
09/06/2017 4:01 pm  

Dear Jonathon,

I have an OstomyArmor (Standard Heavy Duty) for over a year now and I do wear it almost all day. I take it of when I go to to bed or sometimes earlier in the evening when I am watching TV/Sitting on the couch.

I did make some small modification to the OstomyArmor to suit my needs:
1) Make the opening bigger so that my stoma would have enough room
2) Removed +/- 1 cm of the bottom for more comfort when bending and less volume reduction of the bag.

What I like:

+ Good protection and be able to wear my pants the way I like it
+ Extra hernia prevention/protection
+ Noise reduction (specially when in a meeting/ on a plane etc.)
+ Since I wear it all day, when I suddenly have to lift anything I am already protected
+ No big elastic band on your back which (according to my Physical Therapists) will weaken your back muscles when worn all day
+ Flattens your "stomach" area which makes the pouch/bag almost invisible

What I don't like:
- Price. I find it quite expensive (specially the Titanium max armor with a cobra buckle $ 360 is a lot of money). I know if you calculate it per day it's not much, even less when you calculate it per hour :)
- Volume reduction. I wear the Coloplast Sensura Mio One Piece bags which I think are reasonably small compared to some other brands. When wearing the OstomyArmor the volume is almost cut in half.
- You will need to get used to wearing of a non-stretching belt around your waist all day
- Pancaking. When you have thick output it will not always go down the way it should. You will have to remove the Armor and give it a little help (push it down)

Answering your other questions(try)
When I am having a cold (coughing/sneezing) I will wear the OstomyArmor in bed as well without any issues.

I can't give you any advise regarding leakage as, until now (touch wood), this has not been an big issue for me. I really hope you find a solution for that soon.

I hope you will find this helpful and if you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them.

All the best,

Marco.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)
Registered
09/06/2017 6:03 pm  

With regard to the channel between the stoma and your belly button, the trick is to cut up an Eakin Seal (or similar ring) and mould it into the right shape to fill the dip (in the same way as you mould plasticine).

With regard to the shape of your tummy there are bags to suit every shape, ask your supplier for samples. I've not tried the following, but they are a good example of bags with more flexible bases. They also have belt loops which really helped me

http://www.clinimed.co.uk/Stoma-Care/Products/Closed-Stoma-Bags/FreeStyle-Vie-Curvex-Closed.aspx

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
09/06/2017 10:56 pm  
You've received some great answers from Marco and Sarah Green already, but I'd like to answer a few directly
Posted by: Jonathon

I am looking around for a product that will protect my stoma during hockey, but also want something for day to day life.  Also, I am a relatively new ostomate who is dealing with the challenges of daily leakage (I'm on appliance #10 this week!).

My suggestion would honestly be to get the leaks under control first, then look for accessories. Stoma Guards can enhance your weartime, but only if things are good for you already.

A friend recently brought to my attention the stoma guard from Ostomy Armour... Do you know much about or have any thoughts on their products?

I've reached out to Ostomy Armour several times to see if they'd be interested in sending a product so I can sample/review it. I get a lot of people asking me for my opinions on it. They haven't replied - at all - to any of my requests. Take that as you like.

I see you have recommended the StomaShield and provided a video.  ...  Did you have any leakage issues with the StomaShield?  Given my situation, might you expect leakage with the StomaShield?

With "normal" ileostomy output, I don't have problems with this guard. However, if I have thick output and my stool pancakes under the guard, then I will (and have) leak. 

As with any accessory that goes over your stoma, there's always a risk of leaks and pancaking when you've got thicker output.

I suspect the design of the Ostomy Armour should help to divert stool downwards, but I have no direct experience to test that theory.

Despite claims by Ostomy Armour that their stoma guard can be worn 24/7, it doesn't really appear like it would be a comfortable product to wear all day, every day, especially when sleeping (when leaks often happen).  Hence, I am also looking into the StealthBelt.  My main concern, again, would be with respect to leakage.  Would the StealthBelt firmly hold the wafer to my stomach to help cut down on leakage?

I don't tend to wear any hard guards to bed (although I'm sure you can with several). Part of the reason why I don't is because hard guards restrict the volume of your bag, so it will fill up faster (something I don't want to happen in the middle of the might).

The StealthBelt CAN help with leaks as it takes some of the weight off of your flange as your bag fills up. It does also add some pressure to the base of your wafer, which may help as well - but I doubt it'll help prevent leaks if there's a skin fold or something like you describe (that has to be addressed with a different appliance and/or supply).

I currently have my appliance in the vertical position.  You've stated that you like yours horizontally.  How did you determine that prior to having a belt for support? 

I didn't! I watched a few videos and people seemed to like wearing their bag horizontally, so I bought a StealthBelt and it turns out that I like to wear it like that too! 

But rather than buy a belt first - you can sort of test it out if you have a "belly band" (maternity band) handy... these can be purchased anywhere for very little money.  You can tuck the band in on the bottom and top of the bag while the bag is sideways. Obviously, it won't support the bag like this if you're doing a lot of physical activies, but it'll give you some sense of how it works.

I tend to be a side sleeper, which has me concerned that if I were to buy a StealthBelt designed for an ileostomy (right side hole), that I'd be applying a lot of pressure on my appliance as I sleep.  Do you know of any ileostomates who have purchased a StealthBelt with a let side hole and had the appliance horizontally across the stomach (i.e., front instead of side)?   Do you see any issues with that?

I'm a side sleeper as well, and I don't find it to ever be a problem - at most, the very bottom part of my outlet is being slept on, and that never causes a problem (for me).

Now, this could also depend on the length of your bag, your weight, where your stoma is placed (closer to or further from your belly button), etc. 

To answer your second part, I addressed that in my Horizontal Ostomy FAQ article:

https://www.veganostomy.ca/horizontal-ostomy-bag/#Can_you_wear_your_ostomy_bag_across_the_front_or_only_towards_the_side

I hope that helps :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Jonathon
(@jonathon)
Registered
12/06/2017 4:37 pm  

Hi Marco, Sarah and Eric,

Thank you so much for your responses.  They were exactly what I was looking for.  Yes, I agree that I have to get the leaking under control before I purchase any accessories (my last appliance gave me just about an hour of its time before leaking out), but I want to make sure I do my research ahead of time.  Specifically, I want to make sure there is added leak control measures with these accessories since all my leaks have come from activities such as walking, sitting and sleeping.  I can only imagine what will happen once I start getting into some real physical activities such as playing hockey, etc.  

My last appointment with the stoma nurse had us switching from a mid-sized (red), deep convex appliance to a small (green), flat appliance with better flexibility.  We then created the convexity we thought was needed for the crease between my stoma and belly button using rings and stick paste.  I almost got 3 days out of it, but woke up to a leak this morning.  I tried to mimic this appliance with a new one, but clearly that did not go well for me.  I'm off to an appointment with the stoma nurse shortly, so hopefully we will come up with a new solution.

Thanks again for your responses.  They were very much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
12/06/2017 4:43 pm  

Good luck! I hope you find a technique and system that works for you!

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
19/01/2018 3:06 pm  

Side-by-side comparison of OstomyArmor versus StomaGear stoma guards? I play tenor drum in a pipe band - lots of marching with the drum swinging. The drum hangs off to the side opposite stoma (thank goodness!!!), but the harness crosses at waist level, right near "Stella". I like my current "Stella"  ... not in the market for "Stella the Squish". Appreciate any reviews, comments comparing these two guards, especially if its a side-by-side comparison. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
19/01/2018 4:04 pm  
Posted by: bluesgal

Side-by-side comparison of OstomyArmor versus StomaGear stoma guards?

If I can get my hands on an OstomyArmor, I would definitely be up to doing a comparison. 

I'm certain that I've emailed them to see if I could receive a review sample, but never received a reply. Stomaplex was the same (not replying back). 

Take that as you will, but Brian from StomaGear has been phenomenal to work with. 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
19/01/2018 4:39 pm  

Hi All, I can only speak for the stomaplex, I have tried one and am not a big fan, it was expensive and the one which suits a 2 piece sits on the ring of the wafer, that's the way it works but feels like its gripping very tight. it may be suitable for a short period but I could not see it being worn all day, the band/belt is very tight even when worn loose. another thing Eric is one of their products is covered with a calf skin. I know and understsnd that will not sit right with you. And finally when it was delivered I was hit with a £50 sterling fee for duty at my door. that was not mentioned and I had paid for shipping.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
19/01/2018 10:59 pm  
Posted by: john68

another thing Eric is one of their products is covered with a calf skin.

Yup, this is something I noticed right away when looking at their products several years ago. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register