Clear all

stoma guards for smaller/thin peeps  

RSS

JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
December 13, 2019 12:38 pm  

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered already. A search didn't yield what I was looking for. I'd love to hear from anyone on the thinner side with little real estate between their stoma and hip bone. My stoma is unfortunately right at the belt line of nearly my entire wardrobe, seatbelts, etc and I'm in the market for a stoma guard I can use daily under my clothes. Something that will protect it when I return to sport would be an added bonus but currently dressing myself takes priority. I recently tried the StomaShield in all 3 sizes and even the small is too wide--the right side rests uncomfortably on my hip bone. Even with anticipated weight gain in the future, the product just seems disproportionately large for my body (width wise, height wise was fine and did NOT impair leg flexion on my 5' 6'' frame for those considering it). Looking down at it, it looks comically large and sticks out quite a bit, not like the videos of Eric and other guys tucking it neatly into their work-appropriate clothes. 

I'm thinking maybe the ostomy resolutions product next as it is only as wide as your flange?  Any other suggestions from the petite crowd? I really need to be able to wear something other than low cut sweat pants (unfortunately :-). The stomaplex looks interesting but super expensive but maybe once healed up? This is getting expensive in general. 

Thanks in advance!

john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 13, 2019 1:04 pm  

Hi JTvT, A very handy and affordable and small guard is the stoma dome. It doesn’t use a belt and I think it may be an option for you. I use one on and off and helps with tight clothes. Eric has a review on it with the pros and cons. When held in place by clothing I find a great benefit from it. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
December 14, 2019 6:06 pm  

Thanks, John. Do you notice any impaired flow/pancaking as others have? I may try the dome but the depth looks so shallow for my mighty stoma! 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 15, 2019 2:59 am  

When the tape that holds it in place is thrown in the mix it adds a little more room. I would say if output was really thick it may pose problems but over all I find no trouble. I don’t wear all the time but it’s a useful little item. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 16, 2019 11:14 am  

I can certainly appreciate the challenge you have here @jtvt.

You mentioned that you've already tried the stomashield but found it was still too large. Have you contacted them to see if a custom size could be made? It might even be in their best interest to offer a petite or youth size guard. 

The Stomadome and Ostomy Resolutions guards are alternatives. 

Pancaking and restricted flow tend to happen with any guard if the output is thick enough. Even though they are designed with flow in mind, I usually find that they work as well as you'd expect peanut butter to go down a drain. 

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote