4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I ordered a vertical StealthBelt Pro, AKA the Stingray, but I received the wrong belt. The package indicated that it was supposed to be the black VR model. I assume that VR stands for vertical right. I had specified on the order that my stoma is on the right and that I wanted the vertical model, paying the additional cost for it, but the package contained what was clearly a horizontal belt that looked very much like one was expected to rotate the pouch to the right. The pocket extended to the right of the cut flange hole.

I can't get the knack of rotating the Coloplast SenSura Mio Click 2-pc. It won't rotate easily despite using an oil. Until I figure out how to do that, I'll stick with the Stingray.

My question and the point of this post is this: This is the second time I have ordered a belt specifying that my stoma is on the right and received a belt that is made to rotate the pouch to the right. It was my understanding that the convention was for ileostomates to rotate the pouch to the left to wear it across the front of the abdomen over the beltline. I realize we can wear our pouches any way we please, but I mean for the purposes of ordering a product like the StealthBelt Pro. If we want to place an order for such a product and we specify that the stoma is on the right, is it generally understood that we are rotating the pouch to the right, or did the company miss the boat on more than one level here, sending me a horizontal belt for a customer with a left-sided stoma when I ordered and was charged the additional cost for a vertical belt for a right-sided stoma?

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

(@john68)

Hi Tony, it’s a pain when you don’t get what you ordered. Not a wearer of these belts but I think the bag is meant to be worn off to the side. Ok yep it can be worn either way but would it not be a bit of a nuisance across your tummy. Just my opinion 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Topic starter  

Hi John,

I assumed that a bag was supposed to go across the belly because every time I imagine it rotated to the right, I can't get past how awkward emptying the bag would be, so it just makes more sense in my mind to rotate the bag toward the middle of my body instead of laterally. Its beginning to look like I am in the minority and that the conventional wisdom is the reverse of my understanding. I appreciate your take on this; it helps me  feel better about rethinking this question.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @ileostony

It was my understanding that the convention was for ileostomates to rotate the pouch to the left to wear it across the front of the abdomen over the beltline.

I much prefer to have my bag rotated towards the side of my body, and not across the front - I feel it lowers the profile of the appliance as it gets full. When I tried it over my abdomen, I looked like I had more of a gut, so that idea went out the door. 

As for emptying, because I kneel in front of the bowl at an angle, it's "easy" for me, but I do understand that if you sit at the toilet then you'll want the outlet to be centered as much as possible. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote