Community Forums

Huge Leak  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
July 5, 2018 5:05 pm  

I woke up this morning early about 4:30 am to a wet spot on the bed.  I felt around and found my bag beside me and my barrier still attached to me.  The Hollister 2 piece system came apart.  I was going to change my appliance about 7:00 am but this was a little early.

I never had the flange separate from the bag before in 2 years (2 year anniversary two weeks ago).  I do lubricate the flange and bag connector to be able to rotate the bag when I wish to.  I wear a New Hope hernia belt for just in case, but this didn't help this time.

I don't plan any changes, just a rant!!!

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 5, 2018 5:17 pm  

Hi Bago, early morning combat change is a real pain, some times a failure can be an out of the blue one of and as you say never happened before this way.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
July 5, 2018 5:17 pm  

Hey Bago (Bill) . Wow what a way to wakeup ! Done that a couple times myself not fun mine was just a leak from under the barrier . I too use Hollister 2 piece . Nothing wrong with a little rant !

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 5, 2018 5:57 pm  

Bummer Bago!

Happens to all us ostomighties from time to time. Never fun though, especially if it is in the middle of the night. Early morning is bad enough! I once fell back to sleep with my EZ-Osto vent left open .. caught it in time but Yikes. So many ways to leak, so much time!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
July 6, 2018 12:04 am  

Amen, bummer Bago!!  Had a similar issue a few mornings ago.  I wear a two piece adhesive connection and the bag came off.  First failure like that that I gave ever had and first late night failure in a year.  I hate two a.m. showers,  laundry and linen changes. But you are right a good rant helps from time to time!

Hi to every one, u're been a while since I posted.  Been struggling down in the depths for a while ... so far down it looked like up to me!!  Coming it of it now so I'm back.  Nice to see new people here.  Oh,  and Stella,  don't get mad at me but that's what i named my stoma.  Was thinking about Marlon Brando at the time.😁

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 6, 2018 6:29 am  

Ah, nothing more frustrating than a blowout, though, I've never had the bag detach from the wafer like that.  If I'm going to have an issue, 9 times out of 10 it will happen overnight.  I completely understand the rant, sometimes we all need one! 

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 6, 2018 10:57 am  
Posted by: Bago

I do lubricate the flange and bag connector to be able to rotate the bag when I wish to.  I wear a New Hope hernia belt for just in case, but this didn't help this time.

Be sure to only use 1 drop - 2 drops MAX when doing this. I find that if I accidentally drop more than that then I do have to wipe it clean and reapply the oil or else the bag will separate!

Every leak is a new opportunity to learn and grow ;) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 10, 2018 1:35 am  

Hey Dona, the EZ-osto vent you are talking about, is that the one for gas release?  Do you out it on yourself or does it come on the bag? I just ordered some thru my drug store and I have to put it on.  They seem expensive. Is it worth it?  I saw a video on the Hollister sight and it looks easy enough but I am just not sure.  They recommend that you put it on about 24 hours before you change your bag, but my stoma changes shape on a regular basis...I mean with " EVERY" change it gets. Mostly down facing D shape, but size always varies. This does frustrate me to some degree. The arthritis in my hands makes it hard to cut the right shape sometimes,  I so dislike making an error in the cut of it. One wrong slit and the bag is hooped. Do you put yours on or does it come on? If it comes on, what bag  number and brand is it?  Feeling a bit uneasy about something like this is so silly here.

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
July 10, 2018 9:12 am  

Well, just so you don't feel alone, I had a complete blowout at about 4:30 this morning.  I woke up to a bag FULL of gas, and just as I moved to get up it let go.  Not much you can do besides clean it up at move on!

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
Bunny
(@bunny)
Registered
July 10, 2018 9:24 am  

I use Osto EZ Vents too because of Hindenburg quality gas. Couldn't manage without them, but every now and then I get one that opens easily from rubbing on my waistband or maybe I wear them out from so much opening and closing. But it's not a good feeling when they pop open by themselves and if you happen to be lying down at the time....lets just say some nasty language was used. 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 10, 2018 10:33 am  

Its one experience every ostomate will have happen. that gas filled bag to dangerous to burp. if yer lucky the bathroom will be reached. The last time it happened me my wife thought it would be funny to shout "Run ForrestRun"

Sasquatch liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 10, 2018 2:51 pm  

Hi Linda,

I just started a new link on the subject of E-Z Vents and Gas since this thread seemed to be drifting from the topic of leaks.

Hope it helps!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 12, 2018 2:25 pm  

Oh WOW!!!  My turn to rant a bit here. After finally getting to sleep sometime about three this  morning, I woke up a bit later to a  bag blow out leak and one heck of a  mess. It Reminded me of my nursing sons un-contained  poop from neck to tow in his sleepers as a baby.  

1. While I was changing and washing I thought about the things that I was so grateful for that I had lined up previously to use...just in case I may need them and no one is around to run for them. This was one of those times.  I had taken with me to the bathroom my portable land line, and as the cleaning started, I was grateful for the I plastic grocery bags I used to throw my clothes into to get to the washing machine, honorable mention goes to the spray kleen I use on my clothes,  the scissors to cut off and trash the underwear.  I was thankful for the non allergenic baby wipes to clean off my skin.  When I was in hospital, I had for some odd reason saved every little thing they could not recycle or sterilize. If it was unused, I ask for it, and no questions asked they were given.  My thought was, after a year in hospital that I would make a piece of bathroom art with the supplies and form them into the shadow of the IV poles I saw on the wall at night to commemorate my life there. I would be the only one to see it as something to celebrate.  At any rate, one thing I had nabbed was this little plastic pink bottle that they squeezed to pick up sterile water and rinse the operation sight with. I used that to rinse out my belly button.  Because I always rinse my bag, there was tap water there, so I also had nearby a bottle of water to drink. I dehydrate easy. I needed that again also. But the other thing I have on hand was the Q-Tips to help dry and make sure my belly button was clean and ready for the new bag.  About 50 minuets  later, I was out of there and just as tired as when I went to bed. 

While I was cleaning up, I thought about how realistic our situations are and now that I know we have all had them in one way or another...lets just say that I felt like you all were cheering me on this morning!

Thank you all!

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 12, 2018 2:25 pm  

Oh WOW!!!  My turn to rant a bit here. After finally getting to sleep sometime about three this  morning, I woke up a bit later to a  bag blow out leak and one heck of a  mess. It Reminded me of my nursing sons un-contained  poop from neck to tow in his sleepers as a baby.  

1. While I was changing and washing I thought about the things that I was so grateful for that I had lined up previously to use...just in case I may need them and no one is around to run for them. This was one of those times.  I had taken with me to the bathroom my portable land line, and as the cleaning started, I was grateful for the I plastic grocery bags I used to throw my clothes into to get to the washing machine, honorable mention goes to the spray kleen I use on my clothes,  the scissors to cut off and trash the underwear.  I was thankful for the non allergenic baby wipes to clean off my skin.  When I was in hospital, I had for some odd reason saved every little thing they could not recycle or sterilize. If it was unused, I ask for it, and no questions asked they were given.  My thought was, after a year in hospital that I would make a piece of bathroom art with the supplies and form them into the shadow of the IV poles I saw on the wall at night to commemorate my life there. I would be the only one to see it as something to celebrate.  At any rate, one thing I had nabbed was this little plastic pink bottle that they squeezed to pick up sterile water and rinse the operation sight with. I used that to rinse out my belly button.  Because I always rinse my bag, there was tap water there, so I also had nearby a bottle of water to drink. I dehydrate easy. I needed that again also. But the other thing I have on hand was the Q-Tips to help dry and make sure my belly button was clean and ready for the new bag.  About 50 minuets  later, I was out of there and just as tired as when I went to bed. 

While I was cleaning up, I thought about how realistic our situations are and now that I know we have all had them in one way or another...lets just say that I felt like you all were cheering me on this morning!

Thank you all!

Linda

Linda

Zvitusk and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 12, 2018 2:54 pm  

Hi Linda, I will simply say you have my admiration and support. :-) 

Zvitusk and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 12, 2018 3:12 pm  

WOW Linda! You have earned some combat change stars with that one! Attitude is everything, that and a few wipes, plastic bags and new underwear! I love the addition of scissors! Cool move.

Keeps your feet cleaner. HA HA

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 12, 2018 5:29 pm  

Oh Dona,  I was in such a mess and I was cold on top of it.  I do keep a towel close by also for a change like that. I can wrap it around my shoulders and it is comforting to some degree.  I think in the 12 years of having "Rose" ( my stoma) I have had 8 attacks like that.  One involved jeans. I was not impressed then nor was I this morning. But at the same time, I had to say something for the new people that may deal with something like this. It may help prepare them for the unexpected!  One time I had to do a complete cleanup in a public washroom.  My parents live five hours away, so to go and visit, I go prepared and was so glad that I carry a separate bag from my usual bags (my hospital to go bag) to have handy. I figure the more I can carry in front of me to a public washroom, the better. If it prevents someone from having to witness it all the better.  I even carry that  bottle of the Hollister air fresh spray ( it works well). But when we go out, we like to pack light right. A purse can get heavy.  I am trying to figure out what kind of a bag I could make to pack that stuff in so all I have to do i take out my little hooks that have sticky on the back and place it on the wall close to the throne in a public washroom to hang my bag on for easy access.  When I am out and about, if I need to change things up, I would usually go into a Handicap designated washroom so I have room to move around some.  Not to mention finding a clean floor space. I also pack several folded paper towels along to put on the floor for my feet of my clothes. It my sound awfully cumbersome, but believe me, I have been so glad I bothered and with Ziploc bags, it makes it all the more portable. 

I have spoken to business managers about the fact that they are not providing a washroom fit for anyone that may need that Handicap washroom. I have suggested that they also provide a fold up table attached to the wall for people with ostomies to put there supplies on. It is hard to balance your equipment on a toilet paper roll.  Most often, I find they had no idea this could be an issue.  I do not normally use the handicap washroom, however, they are usually much cleaner in a busy place, and the room to change is awesome.  So when you have to do a major change or a minor one, what do you do?  Have you had these issues come up.  I have been in the Michael's craft store and had NOT one place to put my stuff so I could put the deodorant drops in my bag or change it.  Same with the hospital washrooms! They are prepared for wheelchairs but not Ostomates.  This morning, because I usually fold down the edges of a plastic bag to place in the crotch of my pants to catch all my wrappers, having to change my britches and no place to put the bag, I turned a trash can upside down and used that for a table.  I have used drawers for shelf space in other washrooms if it is available.  But what to do and where to put these things when in public is a real problem.  I am trying to get a hold of the Handicap parking people to find out who is making the rules for handicap washrooms and trying to make them aware that changes need to be made.  I have Ankylosing Spondilitis  and a handicap parking card for the  days when I am in too much pain to walk a distance. I respect the card and being able to have and use one.  Because I have had it for thirty years, I had people when I was younger say...hey your using your mothers parking card...and shame on you!  When I take out my card I carry in my wallet they are usually shocked when I prove I have a right to use the place.  Handicaps are not always visible and this needs to be known to the public!  I would be interested to hear how the men deal with some of these issues. They often have heavy work...construction and so forth, which means they are always bending or stretching,. How do they handle things especially if the have to empty there bag and there is not even a tree to fertilize. i had this happen before school was out. No washroom access, the dog in the car, a hot day and Rose had a temper tantrum.  So I looked longingly at the dogs pick up poop bags I tied to his leash and took them off. I layered them, then I remembered I had a pretty thick bag from a sample I was sent at one point. So, I took that out and put it around  the other bags. Four min. till the Grand came out from the school When I had asked to use the washroom in the school, I was told it was too close to the kids coming out and fair enough, they were not familiar with me, so I had to improvise. Layering the bags, setting up what I would need, and the kleenix box to wipe out the mouth of my bag, I set to work.  It was actually okay.  It worked. The dog behaved, the bag was clean again and just this quick, the grand arrived. She had no clue what had happened. People walking by never even glanced at what I was doing not that they would have guessed. I did not expose too much of my  pouch that day, and when I got home, I did have a small leak, but at least I prevented a huge disaster from a bag that suddenly ballooned with output and not air, saving me, my clothes and the car seat. 

We are survivors the way I see it and if we have knowledge I think it is important to share it. Just doing something to make  bad a situation easier is important to share too. No matter how insignificant we may think it is. I learned that thru Erics videos.  I do not think I deserve a medal, but the thought is real nice. Thank you Dona, your sweet.

Linda

Linda

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 12, 2018 5:49 pm  

Hi Linda,

It certainly is a challenge and everyone gets an unpleasant surprise from time to time.

I have a friend who 's  mother has had an ostomy for decades, one day while eating dinner out the entire rig just fell off! Wow.

I used to carry a lot more stuff around with me,  but have it down to a minimum now .. but I can always do a complete change. I haven't had to yet in a public place...but my day will come ( also worried about airplane heads!). I am so much better now than how I was before my ostomy surgery ... the ulcerative colitis pretty much had me nailed down to within ten feet of my toilet.

I just posted a link to one of my favorite videos that Eric has here. It about an emergency change.Its on the thread thats going now about pancaking.

https://www.veganostomy.ca/videos/

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
July 14, 2018 11:16 am  

Well I was going to start a new post but I should have known I would find one that said "Huge Leak" lol  sorry this is long

I am still in the laundry/disinfecting clean up of the one that occurred at 4:30 this morning.  I wish I could say I can find a place for gratitude during these time or as Eric says look at it as an opportunity to learn and grow.  I admire that composure and state of mind but I do not share it during these times.  The best I can manage is the "one minute at a time" focus.  I have complicating issues during the night of long term T1 diabetes with an insulin pump and cgm attached so detaching and exposure to bacteria at the sites are a concern.

Since original ileostomy in 2014 I have had maybe 6-8 night time "blow outs".  No other words do it justice.  I can usually figure out a reason why but I have had 3 in the last few weeks.   I have a peristomal hernia that so far has not required surgery.  One of the questions the surgeons asked was - are you having leaks or trouble with you appliances.   In trying to sort out why these are occurring so often (after a year since the last one) I am wondering if it is the hernia, Arizona heat which never caused this before or what??  I haven't changed any of my process or supplies.

I can find one thing to be grateful for and it is having this forum to go to (thank you Eric) where I can share the nightmare of a "blow-out" and people understand and maybe help.

TIA

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015. Joanne

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 14, 2018 10:28 pm  

Hello Jattzl,  Believe me when I say it is rare, when I feel the gratitude thing regarding  blow outs...well...maybe if I caught it early enough to not burn my skin. Judging by the evidence of my blow out...it was the cucumber and lettuce at fault. When I first had my ostomy in 2008, I did not have this sight to rely on encouragement, strength, information or camaraderie . The information Eric provides is vital to survival of the fittest.  In order to have gratitude for a blow out you need the scissors and a garbage bag. That morning, I was grateful for what I had on hand to rescue me, right down to the baby bottom wipes for my tummy!  The stories and the humor (from others) are an added bonus. In order to go forth and prosper, ( i can't believe I said that...my hubby would be so proud!) we just have to be tough and You, are tough! Type one diabetic and on top of it, dealing with the  insulin pump and needle site.  You get the medal today, and my admiration!  I always said that I would make a horrible diabetic. So, imagine my surprise when my doctor told me I was type two. I had no idea he was even testing for it. I even told him he had the wrong patient. I hate needles and insulin sounds like it can be hard to manage.  But having to have an insulin pump on top of dealing with the pouch.  Today...the medal is yours...here! You have it! All the best to you!

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register