Community Forums

A Mini Guide to Ost...

Notifications
Clear all

A Mini Guide to Ostomy Supplies: Stoma Collars (w/ video)

21 Posts
6 Users
11 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Let's talk about stoma collars!

My written article on this product can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
(@Wajad)

Hi,
I have an illiostomy about 14 years ago, I really didn't have any problems but recently about 2 weeks ago my flanges let loose after the first day. The edges start raising from the edges and before you know it,the whole flange is hanging loose, I have to use tape to hold it back in place. Please I need some advise as to what to do to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. If the wafer is coming off starting on the edges, perhaps wafer extenders might be an option to try: https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-wafer-extenders/

If you have access to a stoma nurse, it might be worth the effort to have them look at your skin or appliance change routine to make sure there isn't something that could be affecting your wafers adhesive. If you've been using any new products on your skin, tray to skip them for the next appliance change to see if that helps.

Good luck!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Matthew Bain)

I am wondering if there is anything you might recommend for a stoma whose opening has been pushed more downward closer to skin level due to a parastomal hernia above the stoma. The output is mostly liquid so it continues to cause leakage. I am wondering if the stoma collar might divert that liquid output more into the bag rather than just come straight down onto the barrier seal? Currently using a convex wafer from Hollister that is somewhat rigid and have been trying more flexible convexity of late.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Matthew,

You can certainly try the stoma collar for that type of stoma - if your stoma is protruded enough, the collar may be able to divert it away from your wafer. If you do try it, please let me know how it's worked.

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Wajad...are you moisturizing your skin around your tape at all?  If so, this has caused similar problems for me. I use a non-greasy lotion when I need one and I also use the Coloplast Ostomy Tapes all the time now. I had many leaks on my clothing and due to some tummy skin being numb, I could not tell if I had a leak. So, I started using these tapes. They are stretchy and comfortable to wear. I like to garden,  so I do a fair bit of bending and stretching, the tapes hold the outside edges of the plate in place.  They are C shaped and come in a box of 20. I also live in a hot in summer climate so edges would roll up for me. Not any more. I hope you can solve your problem.

Matthew...welcome t this site. Are you a brand new ostimate?

Linda

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

Hey all. Anyone know of a stoma collar or alternative for a stoma collar that is 45mm in diameter?  Salts is limited to 41mm.  I squeezed one on today, but Im concerned with the obvious potential constricting.  I had a couple samples sent to me a year ago and finally decided to try them.  

I stupidly put the first one on top of the wafer after I put the wafer on because I use an eakin ring and thought that this might work better.  I have no idea how long it actually lasted, but I noticed it swimming in may bag the second day for sure.  I dont know if it was just knocked off due to the large size of my stoma, or if the effluent degraded  the adhesive.

Anyway, I have pretty liquid output and am getting 1-2 days so, in between resigning to the situation, Im grasping at straws...

Anyway.. specifically curious is any other collar options are known.  I think nuhope are the size of a pencil and salts are 41mm.  Anything else?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Chris, see if your supplier can get the Nu-Hope "Stoma Hat" in the size you need. They should be similar to the Salts stoma collars but might be available in a larger size.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

I used the largest salts collar. It was pretty tight but got me 5 freaking days! For the last year and a half I've only done 2 days at best. I could have gone longer too I think. Anyway.. I just bought a 5 pack to try and see if it wasnt a fluke. 

I have one on now - hitting the two day mark right now - and hopefully it will work. If it does I'll write a post of what I do because it might help someone who is in the same situation I am in.

I'm not getting my hopes up however, because I've been let down so many times before.

Anyway.. if it does work, it's a pretty exciting moment in my life I'll tell ya. Game changer.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

So how did it go - three days later? :-P Hoping that you're still wearing the same appliance! 

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

Posted by: VeganOstomy

So how did it go - three days later? :-P Hoping that you're still wearing the same appliance! 

I am! Going to see how tomorrow goes too because, currently, I have no signs that I should be changing it. So far im pretty excited and impressed. Changing every 5+ days instead of every 1+ days makes SUCH a difference on my mental state about this thing.  Im sitting in disbelief right now because I tried so many things and just kept on failing.  This funny thing is that I've had these collars sitting with my extra supplies for a year.. I ordered the samples last year but have always felt they were too small to try.  I only just tried them now out of complete frustration. Knock on wood it's worked great twice inn a row. 

:)

LK, VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

That’s great news Chris. Really pleased it’s coming together ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@Julie)

This is great info--thanks! The photos are really helpful, too! I contacted Salts in the U.K. and they told me in no uncertain terms that no one in the U.S. distributes their products. Hmmm. Any suggestions on who might carry them in the U.S.? I'm wondering if the person who replied to my "Contact Us" email might not know that someone here is selling them. :)

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

In the US, these are very hard to find. Easier in Canada, but shipping costs may be prohibitive. For US residents, I do suggest looking at the Nu-Hope Stoma Hats instead, as they are much easier to find and work pretty much the same as the Salts products.

ReplyQuote
 Tim
(@Tim)

Were you able to get samples sent to Canada from Salts in the UK for these?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I think it would be difficult to get samples of Salts products in Canada, unfortunately. I suggest contacting Salts directly to see if they have any dealers in Canada who offer samples, or they may even be able to send them to you directly. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)

@veganostomy So I checked into it, and there's a Canadian distributor who is sending me samples. They also sent a pdf of their brochure via email. Apparently they recently took over from another company.

They are Westech: https://www.westechhealth.com/

I also talked to the British Columbia rep on the phone. She was super helpful.

Also found out that in BC, they are covered under BC Pharmacare as they are considered a barrier ring. I haven't ordered any yet to put it to the test yet, waiting on the samples, but that's what my stoma nurse told me when I asked.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@tim That's fantastic! Thank you for letting us know. I'm not familiar with Westech, but I appreciate knowing about more companies in Canada who can supply other Canadians, especially with harder-to-get brands like Salts. 

Let me know how it goes if you decide to try them. It's wonderful that they will be covered.

ReplyQuote
(@Melody)

Tried to “like” but don’t see where the option is. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for trying, Melody. The "like" button would be part of YouTube, so their website or app (if you're viewing the video from there). But don't worry, my views on "likes" have changed since the video came out and it means much less to me now - all I value is whether the information was helpful or not :)

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2