Community Forums

Brava protective seal advice  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
October 14, 2017 7:41 pm  

I am looking for some advice and feedback of anyone else’s experience with the Brava protective seal. I usually use Eakin and they are okay but leave a lot of residue and let some leakage through underneath. I tried the Brava but it did not stick to my skin. Any advice on application??  Thanks!

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 14, 2017 8:45 pm  

I've used them (reviewed them, too). 

When you say it's not sticking to your skin, do you mean it's not sticking at all or it becomes less sticky over the course of a few days?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
October 14, 2017 9:57 pm  

When I first put it on and then it leaked underneath during the first day. I am sure my skin was dry and did the same preparation as usual. I use coloplast skin barrier. 

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
October 14, 2017 10:03 pm  

I had read your review and looked like it may help that’s why I gave them a try. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 15, 2017 11:34 am  

Here's something to try:

Before putting the Protective Ring on, warm it up in your hands while it's still in the wrapper or while it still has the release liner on. 

Then, when you've applied your wafer with the ring underneath, use your hand to apply gentle pressure to your appliance.

The idea is that the heat/pressure will help the adhesive to stick better. 

If that doesn't work, the product is either not compatible with your skin, or there may be something else on your skin that's preventing it from sticking properly. This could be a soap, ostomy barrier product, moisturizer, etc. 

Good luck!

Tony H and Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
October 15, 2017 7:56 pm  

Thank you, Eric!  I will give that a try.  I think heat is the one missing piece to how I used it the first time.

Thank you, again!

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
November 3, 2017 10:14 pm  
Posted by: Jattzl

Thank you, Eric!  I will give that a try.  I think heat is the one missing piece to how I used it the first time.

Thank you, again!

After I put on appliance I lay in bed with a pillow and hands cupping stoma just 5-10 min . Your trapped body heat  will help seal . After about 5 minutes I start gently pressing ring/ seal  around the Stoma  insuring contact .

ReplyQuote
Willy
(@willy)
Registered
November 4, 2017 12:53 am  

I have used the Eakin and currently the Brava seals. I liked Eakin but went back to using paste until I tried the Brava. The Brava seals are very sticky so I am wondering if you are letting the barrier spray dry enough before applying. By my own experience I found everything has to be very dry before application. I also apply the Brava directly to my skin and press down a bit around the edges, then I put the wafer on and I use a cardboard tube from toilet paper to press the edge of the wafer to the seal. I don't know if this will help but it has worked well for me. I use the 3M barrier spray, Cavilon because it seems to dry a bit quicker but what matters is no matter what you use make sure it is really dry.

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
November 4, 2017 1:59 am  

My ostomy nurse told me to not use barrier wipes or spray unless I am treating skin irritation.  I have been doing that for the past 4 months with better sticking results. I also use the Brava ring with my Coloplast Sansura mio appliance and pouches. Barbara 6

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
November 4, 2017 10:44 am  

Thanks everyone!  Love the toilet paper roll idea, Willy!  Well, I always make sure everything is dry.  I use a blow dryer on cool setting.  Then I warmed it with my hands.  I do use the coloplast barrier wipe.  I am going to try not using it.  I have really sensitive skin and try to use as few products as possible.  With all of that - I had another awful leak and combat shower at 2 in the morning!  This has happened twice now and it's not worth the risk to me anymore.  I'm going to stick with the Eakin and just deal with the residue.  Thank you for your help!!

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 4, 2017 12:32 pm  

Hi all, Barrier wipes, it one product I feel so strong about you will think I have shares in the company. is their a right  or wrong stoma appliance simply NO. Reason we all come in different shapes and sizes and have different needs etc. finding the right one can be a long  frustrating road but it happens. we are going to be putting that wafer on and taking it of for a very long time and that skin is going to work harder than is was ever designed to do. so protection is vital. the barrier wipe does exactly that protects with a film between wafer and skin. for me its a must and have seen really excellent results. I rest my case

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tony H and Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
November 4, 2017 12:48 pm  

Hi, Willy I do about the same thing but I use a piece of PVC pipe thats the right diameter to do the pressing down. I just keep it in my kit. Its a few inches long and just fits around that inside flange ( what you can get to before the bag goes on). I use Hollister two piece.

Works for me too. And, its washable! HA.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Tony H, Jattzl, VeganOstomy and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Bix Lives
(@bix-lives)
Registered
April 8, 2018 12:03 pm  

After trying to get these things to work consistently for several  months, —and using every trick in the book, I finally phoned my Coloplast Rep and she said that you are NOT supposed to use the protective seals seals with a skin barrier/protector, such as Cavilon.  Could this possibly be true??!!!  I know that some people do go without any skin protection barrier (e.g., Cavilon); but, I have always thought this extremely dangerous.  In my case, perhaps, fatal, as I have a rare disease that can cause gangrene from even a minor infection.  

Coloplast has not printed or posted any info referring to Cavilon (etc) in their literature. so I suspect that my Coloplast Rep is not right.  But, what IS right??!!

I would still like to use these seals as they do not cause sticky goop to enter the bag.  —This ruins my first bag after a day!  When these seals work, I have gotten 4 days from a single bag -no problem.

Alas I am presently back to using Eakin seals until I can find a way to use the new Brava Protective Seals. 

NOTE:  I have had success with making a SPLIT seal.  E.g. putting a THIN (2.5 mm) Brava Protective seal on top another seal (e.g., Eakin, Brava Moldable, Hollister 7805, etc.).  This makes the total seal a tad thicker, but I could not notice the difference.  It also cost more, but I think I may be using this method in the future.

One thing I have learned over the last 6 months is that Eakin truly is the "Gold Standard" of all seals.  It seals better  and more consistently than any other seal I have used.   However, I have found that Brava MOLDABLE Seals are almost as good as Eakin.   

Bix Lives!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Bix Lives
(@bix-lives)
Registered
April 8, 2018 12:11 pm  

I feel the same way. I have a rare endocrine condition that can turn even a minor wound into gangrene very fast.   Hence, my reticence for going bare-skinned...

Bix Lives!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 8, 2018 12:15 pm  
Posted by: Bix Lives

After trying to get these things to work consistently for several  months, —and using every trick in the book, I finally phoned my Coloplast Rep and she said that you are NOT supposed to use the protective seals seals with a skin barrier/protector, such as Cavilon.  Could this possibly be true??!!! 

Welcome to the forums, Bix Lives!

Most manufacturers will tell you not to use barrier products with their extended wear products (i.e. wafers), although none have this information printed. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this was also the case with these Protective Rings. My take is that if they work when you're using Cavilon, great! If they don't stick well, then don't use the Cavilon or go with another barrier product. 

There's no harm in using both together, but the rings may not stick as well as it would to bare skin. 

ReplyQuote
Bix Lives
(@bix-lives)
Registered
April 8, 2018 12:20 pm  

I had the exact same experience.  —Nothing like a leak at 3 AM after a large dinner.  Worse, I have a rare endocrine disease and a minor scratch will  often become infected in 18 hours and can turn gangrenous in another day or two  (erythema nodosum PG).    Still, I believe that Cavilon is perhaps THE most important element of the mix for ALL people.  Let's face it, your skin is not meant to hold up under even stoma sweat, which is highly acidic, much less full output! A healthy person would have a nasty infection, or at least a bad wound, after a few days of this. 

Bix Lives!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Bix Lives
(@bix-lives)
Registered
April 8, 2018 12:48 pm  

Damn right!  G-d bless Cavilon. BTW, I believe 3M has patents standing on Cavilon, hence it's superiority against other products.  Remember, that it was 3M that invented Teflon for The Manhattan Project (c. 1943).  This was to protect all manner of surfaces from THE most oxidising and corrosive substance known to mankind, i.e.,  uranium hexafluoride gas.  This gas is a temporary product of the Gaseous Diffusion method for enriching U238 to the lighter isotope, U235.  At that point, the U.S. Gov. would have spent half our GNP to come up with solely Teflon, but 3M did the job far cheaper and darn fast. You have to respect a deed like that.  I have great confidence in 3M's ability to invent a skin protection chemical like Cavilon.  3M has also invented other coatings that have enabled things like audio tape recording, landing on the moon, and ...ostomy.   Cool company, that 3M, eh?

PS: I think there IS a way to use the Brava Protective seal with Cavilon. This would  require kneading  the seal material before applying it to the skin.  My stoma is small, —i.e., the exact size of the hole in the seal I use, —hence, I was simply warming up the seal to about 99º F. and applying it without moving the seal material even a little.  In the future, I may try treating the material like putty and forming the seal myself  after heating and kneading the seal material into a ball and then back into a seal.  

Ostomy is a P.I.T.A.

Bix Lives!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
April 16, 2018 5:27 pm  

I have tried the brava seals twice, the first time was a disaster, started coming away from the skin within a few hours , went back to eakin and security,

I decided to give them another try about a month ago and have been using them since without a problem , im not using a barrier with them and they are so easy to remove with no residue , im getting 4 or 5 days wear with them and im only changing out of caution, I think if i was brave enough i could get up to a week with no problem,

big thanks to the generous member who donated my supply to me as the products are not available here yet .

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
April 16, 2018 6:47 pm  

Hi Tony.  What do you think made the difference?  I've tried twice and both times were a disaster.  I would really like them to work as it would be great to have less residue.

ReplyQuote
Bix Lives
(@bix-lives)
Registered
April 16, 2018 7:44 pm  

PROTECTIVE SEALS cannot be used with CAVILON or any skin barrier.  If you do not have skin issues,  an endocrine disorder and like to take serious risks -give them a try.  Frankly, i think going without Cavilon is INSANE. 

Eakin is the GOLD standard of ring seals,; although I am currently wearing the Coloplast Brava MOLDABLE seal.  They are good and do not leak sticky stuff into the bag as much as Eakin, although Eakin does provide a slightly better and more consistent seal.   Good Luck!

Bix Lives!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register