Notifications
Clear all

pancake/leaks

3 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@tduerr7)
Topic starter  

I have had an iliostomy for 8 years. It took many months to find an appliance that would last for more than 12 hours(I tried every major brand). It was a Cy-Med 1 piece. I wore this for about 5 years and consistently got 3 days out of them. All of a sudden they started pancaking and leaking after only a few hours. After investigating, I found out that they changed their formula of their wafer. They started using a more advanced extended wear hydocolloid. I called every warehouse in the USA to get all Cy-Med’s product manufactured before they started using their new wafer. This supply lasted me another year while I started to find a replacement. Salts from the UK(they have been great!) has a product that works but it is convex and creates other issues(edges curl). Long story short, I know how to put on an appliance but something in my skin just does not do well with these new hydocolloids. I have talked with multiple ostomy nurses from hospitals and appliance manufacturers. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a workable solution?

VeganOstomy and Dona reacted
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Tom.  I think others and Eric will have better answers.  I just looked up hydrocolloids on google so I can understand ( maybe) why it is being used for ostomy supplies. 

I use a Hollister wafer, and I don't think it is of that type. I use a barrier ring from Eakins ( cohesive) and I don't think it is either. Some of the others looks like they might be ( like the Hollister barrier ring and others I have tried).

It is so frustrating that some of these work on some skins and not others.And, its such a long process to find the right thing. I really feel for you  having to figure this out again.  Maybe some of the products ( and brands) that didn't work eight years ago, might now work?

Anyway. I hope someone else here has more help for you. 

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey Tom,

It's always frustrating when your supplies change. You aren't the first person to share this experience, and I've heard from others who used to use Cymed products until they reformulated. 

Which Salts product did you say works better for you? You mentioned it was in convex, but they should also have a flat version of the same product. Edge peeling, if it's still an issue, can likely be addressed by using a wafer extender.

Which other products have you tried?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote