Welcome to Varg55!

Notifications
Clear all

Welcome to Varg55!  

Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

I would like to extend a welcome to Varg55, a friend from another ostomy site - I have convinced her to join us at vegan ostomy. She is a kind and considerate person and she has an interesting story. She has become a good friend, and  I hope that she will be able to tell us more about herself very soon. 

Just a semicolon

VeganOstomy, LK, Varg55 and 1 people liked
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

Hi, Varg55!

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

With look forward to meeting 😀👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Welcome Varg55!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered

@squeakyandliza

Hi squeak,  I love this!  Although in my case, just recovering from ileostomy surgery (I had a colostomy for just over a year) I am looking for a heavy bag, ie, still working on getting my output to where it should be.  Getting better though. Thanks for the welcome!

Terry

VeganOstomy, LK, Tigerlily and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hey Terry, At the start your output is gonna be all over the place. The illeo is slightly different but your experience over the year will help. Read, ask and learn. We always something new to discover 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered

Hi All,  Thanks Laurie for the warm welcome and kind words.  I look forward to making new ostomate friends.  This feels like a good place!

I am a retired civil servant (investigated welfare fraud).  I live in Delta, which is a suburb of Vancouver, with my husband of 35 years.  I had my first surgery over a year ago, an emergency colostomy due to a perforated bowel.  I have always had motility issues, the muscles in my bowel just don't do their job, so the colostomy just made things worse.  A few months later they went in and removed more of my large intestine, still no improvement.  Just over one week ago I had another surgery and now have an ileostomy (loop).  They have left the old stoma (which has basically gone to sleep) just in case this does not improve things for me, in which case it can be reversed.  The hope is that in six months to a year they can go back in and remove the rest of my large intestine and close up the old stoma site.  Still early days, some pretty good, some not so much, trying to stay optimistic.  I'm having to experiment with what works for me diet-wise to keep things moving. 

I would love to hear from anyone out there who has a situation similar to mine.  I'm sure I will have lots of questions going forward being a new ileostomate!

Cheers,

Terry

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Hi Terry,

I too had an emergency surgery due to perforations in my colon two and a half years ago. Since there were 2 different perforations, they took the whole colon and I went straight to an ileostomy. It has been quite an adjustment, and this group has been very helpful. I had another surgery about a month ago to remove the sigmoid colon because they thought the reason my surgery wound wasn’t healing. There were 2 tunnels going down from the wound bed and they thought they were connected to the infected rectal stump. When the surgeons got in there, they discovered there were holes in my small intestines that were connected to the tunnels. So they removed a chunk of my small intestines too. 

It is definitely normal to have good days and bad ones. I still have bad days. It is a huge adjustment, especially when it was an emergency, rather than a planned surgery. 

Hang in there and ask all your questions. 😀

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@varg55...Welcome Terry! I'm sorry you've had a rough go of it!! But your in the right place here! 

I know exactly where Delta is! lol! I was raised in Surrey about  a mile from Guildford Town Centre & my first Job shortly after it was built, was in what was then the open square in the mall! Not there anymore tho! . 

I have an Ileostomy but over the years,  I dealt with a lot of the same issues as you. My gut never really worked  properly  leading to several surgeries, first, a Total Colectomy Ileorectal Anastomosis, with a J-Pouch.  Before the actual ileostomy &  several different diagnosis over all the years! Anyways, be a stranger !

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome, @varg55! It's so nice to see new faces! Thanks @tigerlily for spreading the word!

Terry, that's an interesting and unique situation you have going on. I'd be interested in reading your updates as things progress. 

Does your motility issue only affect your large intestine or does it start further up? I would imagine that if it only affects your colon, you should have a pretty smooth time with the ileostomy (once all the normal recovery and adjustments happen), so I wish you all the best!

Feel free to create other threads with questions you might have along the way. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome.  This site has a lot! I'm quite impressed and I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time just investigating all the different links, videos, etc.  Nice to hear from people with similar situations.  Lots of brains to pick!  

Cheers,

Terry

ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered

@veganostomy

Hi,  Well, that is the 10 million dollar question!  It was impossible for the docs to know where my motility issues start from, but they THINK it's just confined to my large bowel.  I had several bowel obstructions which weren't caused by anything getting stuck, just the stool backing up and not moving.  The hope is that with my large bowel out of the picture, so to speak, things will move normally through my small bowel.  That is why they left my large bowel and the old stoma intact, so they can reverse if things don't work out. The only way I could get stool moving through my large bowel was with massive amounts of laxative.  Right now, touch wood, I have been laxative free for 10 days, so hopefully off to a good start!

Best regards,

Terry

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered

@varg55

Great to meet you.  I hope that your recovery and road ahead are smooth.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm a fairly new ostomate, and I'm soaking up as much as possible.  So many brave and inspiring people to learn from.  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

Varg55 and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Posted by: @varg55

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome.    Lots of brains to pick!  

Cheers,

Terry

Welcome.

I'm afraid my brains thoughts end up in my bag with everything else :mrgreen: 

Colostomy Jan 2020

Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote