Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

So, this is me  

Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi fellow ostomates! I just joined this site a couple of days ago, but actually, have been watching Eric’s videos on YouTube for several years. They are excellent, and I have recommended them to others. I have a colostomy (2015) as the result of cancer. (As a Canadian, I REALLY appreciate our universal healthcare system during my cancer treatment! I only had to pay for parking!) I really struggled with my cancer diagnosis and surgery, and sought counselling, which, as a long time counsellor myself, I highly recommend. I suffered radiation injury, and a resulting unhealed rectal incision that took two and a half years to close. I was eventually able to participate in hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which ultimately allowed my wound to close. I am also a member of another ostomy site, very different from this one. I don’t have any major issues with my ostomy, but things diet related do crop up every now and then, like everyone else. I am a retired counsellor of children and their families, with a special interest in bereavement counselling, particularly suicide and homicide bereavement. I am married to my BFF, a retired high school teacher of English literature and Special Education. We have one son. In my spare time, I am a hand spinner and weaver, and I like to paint and garden (painting with plants!) I like to travel too, but that got sidetracked by my cancer and long recovery, and now covid. Sigh.

Just a semicolon

john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Tigerlily, It’s always great to hear the background from a new member, sounds like you have a great life and your ostomy is giving you the chance to enjoy. We will excuse you for being a member of another ostomy group😂👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

Hi, Tigerlily, it is good to meet you. My ostomy was due to cancer, also; I was diagnosed in 2018. My treatments were uneventful, if you can call it that, except for an exhaustion and dehydration that was difficult. I am fortunate to live only a short drive from the clinic and hospital. I will be retiring in May and for the foreseeable future  am working from home, like many people. Looking forward to retirement and hope to eventually pick up some - not much, though! - of their overflow work for both the money and the fun (I enjoy what I do).

Soooo .... hello from northern Minnesota!

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

@john68

😌Thanks to both of you for the welcome. I really like what I see in this site.

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
Lynne
(@lynne)
Registered

Hi Tigerlily.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Sounds like you have some wonderful creative passions.  Hopefully your love of travel can kick back in gear in the not too distant future!  I'm working hard on my French in prep for a post Covid trip. :-)

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered

Hi Tigerlily (love the name).  Welcome.  It's nice to read your story.  Thanks for sharing.  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Welcome Tigerlily!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@tigerlily

Hi again. Thanks for sharing your story. Mine is similar in that I, too, had colorectal cancer and had both my rectum and anus  removed. I am now a permanent colostomate. I opted out of chemo and radiation as the treatment the doctor wanted to give me would have been to much for my body. I was grossly underweight, and I would not have survived the treatments. It was with a great deal of research and prayer that I came to that decision. was two years ago, and I am doing better than I have in many years - as long as God wills it.

Stella

LLNorth and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote