Community Forums

New to forums  

RSS

Valerie
(@valerie)
Registered
17/09/2018 12:25 am  

I found VO on youtube this summer, but just discovered the forums. I am 55, and was diagnosed with UC at 20 and had complete colectomy at 23. It was supposed to be a J pouch, but complications delayed that and I decided just to keep my ileostomy. I had surgery at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Fazio, the inventor of the J pouch! I decided to investigate new products this summer, and thus my discovery of VO. I feel like I'm part of this big family now! I live in Colorado, mom of 3, grandma of 5, happily married for 33 years!

UC at age 18, 1981. Diagnosed at 20, proctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy at age 23, 1986.

LK and john68 liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
17/09/2018 2:41 am  

Hi Valerie, Great to meet you, Sounds like yer ostomy has given you the health to lead a very fruitful and happy life. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
17/09/2018 10:35 am  

Great to 'meet' you Valerie and welcome to the forum.

Its wonderful to have another voice of experience here. I think John68  ( just above my comment) is one of the ostomates here with the most experience. Most of us I would guess are fairly new to this.   Its always great to hear from people who have made a happy and successful life as an ostomate.

Keep participating, please!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
17/09/2018 2:09 pm  

Welcome Valerie...This is the site to be on that i for sure!!! I have been unwell again and have appreciated being able to check in and read and meet others also. When you have an issue do not be afraid to post something and know that even if it takes a bit of time, you will get an answer from someone who can help or encourage you. I am 60 years. Two children and two in- law kids and four grands. 12 year ostomate. Living in Canada. Really! Dr Fazio, the inventor of the J-pouch! That surgery saved my sanity.  Fabio...Fazio! Tell him thank you so much for me Please. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)
Registered
17/09/2018 5:04 pm  

Welcome to VO Valerie.  This is a great place to get information and support.

Raine

ReplyQuote
UCtoOstomy
(@uctoostomy)
Registered
17/09/2018 10:02 pm  

Welcome Valerie!  This forum has been a blessing and given many of us the information and confidence to live with our conditions.  Everyone has their back story and everyone here is great for support.  I am 34, had my ileostomy for 2 years and am a candidate for J-pouch.  The information and resources on this site are amazing.  I've watched all of Eric's videos, some of them several times.   Currently I am choosing to keep my ileostomy and opt out of a J-pouch.  I may regret it one day, but this I believe is the best choice for me and my family. I have 2 young kids (2 years and 2 months).   Look forward to your stories, responses and insight from your many years as an ostomate.  

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register