Clear all

Hey Everyone

19 Posts
10 Users
11 Likes
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  

My name is Conor, I live in a town just northeast of Indianapolis, Indiana.  I had dealt with UC of varying severity for about 14 years.  In December of 2016 I had my ileostomy done at the recommendation of my colorectal surgeon.  The year and a half or so before my surgery was brutal to me with UC symptoms, and side effects from treatment.  My ileostomy has been a blessing, not without challenges, but still a blessing.  

I've visited this site quite a bit since right before surgery, and have just now decided to register.  Eric, I have to thank you for the wealth of information here, the tip, tricks and ideas have helped me get myself back to at least close to what I was before my last major UC flare-up.

Next up on my list is the proctolectomy.  I've decided against the J-pouch, I'm just leery of how my body will handle it.  I'm eyeballing the end of October of this year for surgery, and I'm sure I'll be looking for some support when the time comes.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

Robert, Zvitusk, john68 and 1 people reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey, Conor!

Thanks for joining and sharing your story!

We look forward to your participation in other discussions! Feel free to ask any questions you may have on your mind about the surgery or otherwise :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and Zvitusk reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hello Conor, good to see ye, As the man says ask its what the forum is for, plus share any tips, trick or ideas you have. all the best

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert and Zvitusk reacted
ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)

Hiya Conor! I had my proctocolectomy about 7 weeks ago. Welcome to the forum.

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Allow me to add my welcome to the others. Tell us about your town. Does it have a good hospital?  Do you have to travel to Chicago for major stuff? 

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hello Conor

We had our Ilestomy surgery close to the same time and like you I dealt with mine for 10 years before doing anything about it living on Imodium till I couldn't take it anymore . So like they say tell us your experiences and ask all the questions you want remember no such thing as a dumb question .

And welcome to the group !

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  
Posted by: Zvitusk

Allow me to add my welcome to the others. Tell us about your town. Does it have a good hospital?  Do you have to travel to Chicago for major stuff? 

The town I live in is only about 1000 residents, for major things Indianapolis is where I go.  It's only half an hour or so to get into Indy, depending on what side of town I need to get to.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Welcome Conor, My husband is from upper west Ohio- Been to Indiana -- both rather flat land and lots of farming.. Good people.. 

YEs, the J-pouch can be difficult from what I have talked with others at my support group-- It was a training of your end mussels and many fast bathroom trips until things got back to normal-Some have had it reversed back to the pouching system..  One woman still has her J-pouch and loves it.. Depending on age.. Dr. told me that I was to old for this,. I am 68. now.. 

I went through much H - - - with my adjustments of my outcome.. But with Eric and this blog-has helped me understand so much more and not alone.. Because of this, I am a happier person.. Hope you feel this also in the near future!! Marcie.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Has anyone heard from JamieMom?

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hi Z . No I haven't seen anything from her lately hope all is well .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Hey everybody! 

Did you get your FLU shot yet. 

Even if it is not perfect,  it helps somewhat,  and needs to be had.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I got both of them.. so far so good!!!!!!! :-) Tom made my sons get on even tho they don't belivie in them-- "your mother can get very sick is she get it and you sons will be to blame"  So they did and showed Tom the sheet that they got it.. IT is bad here in Ct. near 30 people have died my age in 6weeks. Mask time for me.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hello sasquatch...welcome Conor.   I had my J-pouch installed in 1996...it worked great till 2009.  A good long time.   You know your body best...trust yourself.  I had no choice at the time and was glad I did not have a choice, I would not of known what to do. It worked fine until after a long hospital stay with 8 operations included.  My man had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer  five months after I got out of hospital, and two months before he died I required an ileostomy.  I hope you have support at home.    Name your stoma. It does help to accept and work with it if you have not already.  A dog help...do you have a dog.  Nothing like a little fur buddy to rest with.  You look well and I hope you stay that way.  Your  a young'un!

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@dpch69)

Man do I need help with this!!!! I have soo many questions. I am 3 weeks out of surgery with my illostomy. 

ReplyQuote
(@dpch69)

Can any of yall members help me by answering questions  about an ileostomy? I need some guidence to get through this.

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hello dpch, and welcome. There is lots to learn indeed, and lots of information on this wonderful website. Have you checked out the videos? They are great!

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Topic starter  
Posted by: dpch69

Man do I need help with this!!!! I have soo many questions. I am 3 weeks out of surgery with my illostomy. 

Ask away, the community here has a ton of good information.  We all have seen a lot dealing with our ostomies.  Don't forget, all of the videos here on the site are valuable too.  All it takes is some time and patience, be for you know it you'll be living life again.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: dpch69

Can any of yall members help me by answering questions  about an ileostomy? I need some guidence to get through this.

We can certainly try! But if you have a question, it will be better for you and other users if you can post it in the appropriate section of the forum :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

dpch69...Welcome to VeganOstomy.  If you would like to tell us  your story or would like to have someone about your age group responding to you please say so. We all do the best we can and are here to help.  Combined, having gone thru all sorts of misery, and experiences, you have a group of people willing to try and help, encourage, or whatever you may need.  Ask any questions you have and we will do the best to share our experiences, tips & secrets that got us thru sometimes trying, difficult and healing times. We have all been thru this in one way or another.  

Linda

ReplyQuote