Community Forums

New to this site  

RSS

carolw96
(@carolw96)
Registered
January 22, 2018 4:04 pm  

Hi all,

My name is Carol from Marietta, GA, just outside of Atlanta. My story starts with what I thought was a hemorrhoid that did not hurt. My husband's was very painful so I thought I was lucky. I started to lose weight. I went to four different doctors and no one could find anything. We were living in Saint Augustine at the time. I wanted to go home to Atlanta. Going back to my old doctor was the right thing to do. She sent me to a colorectal doctor. My hemorrhoid was actually a retail prolapse. I had surgery. The rectum had atrified so 21 inches of colon and rectum was removed. It left me incontinate. I had three months to decide if I wanted to live the rest of my life incontinate or have a colostomy. It didn't take long to decide. I don't have control of when I go but I do have control of where I go. That was April, 2014. I wear ConvaTec two piece moldable wafer and bag. Lots of trouble in the first year but good now. I accidentally found this site so thought I would join.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 22, 2018 4:56 pm  

Hey Carol!

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story!

I'm glad to hear that your experience with the ConvaTec moldable wafers has been positive!

We are looking forward to seeing more of you around here 😀

Edited: 4 months  ago

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
carolw96
(@carolw96)
Registered
January 22, 2018 8:04 pm  

Thanks for the welcome.

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
January 22, 2018 10:29 pm  

Feel free to cut in and voice your own thoughts. We welcome you with open arms. 

Robert and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
January 23, 2018 12:07 pm  

Good Morning Carol

Welcome to the family . Like Z says jump in anytime different opinions are always good !

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 23, 2018 10:42 pm  

carolw96...Welcome Carol .  Do not be shy.  It is always good to see new people here.  If I may ask here...how many of us...including myself had the issue of bowel incontinace before recieving there Ileostomy???   This was what pushed the doctors decision after 8 opertions to hand over the Ileostomy.  I had lost control during my sleep one too many times.  Thank God for those hospital pads that I bought after my long stay.  

Carol...make sure you watch as many videos as you need to prevent or to know what you may need information wise before you need it.  If you have issues and want some two cents...lets us know.  I have found this to be the best therapy ever.  

Linda...  my stoma is Rose.  She really is a beautiful thing. I found naming her gave me more help in accepting her and working with her.

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 24, 2018 10:12 am  

Sorry, Marcie and Linda. I had to remove the last several replies as they seemed to be intended for another thread. 

Let's keep this thread open to welcoming Carol. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 24, 2018 10:18 am  

Thank you Eric... Marcie............... I just followed along and didn't pay attention.. :-(

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
carolw96
(@carolw96)
Registered
January 24, 2018 9:07 pm  

My stoma's name is Attila. I had originally named her Lizzie (as in Borden). On a trip with my best friend we had to stop more than she wanted to for me to go to the bathroom. When we started home she said we would drive as far as Attila would let us before we stopped. It was so funny that the name stuck. Now, after four years, she acts so much better than when she was young so her name really doesn't fit anymore. 

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 24, 2018 9:26 pm  

Carolw96....hello again.  I renamed mine after she settled down.  It did take about two years to see the difference.  Feel free to rename her to what suits her now.  My first names were Mt. Vizovious or how ever you spell it... and Mt. St. Helens...keeping it closer to home.  As Mt. St. Helens had actully blown me right out of bed the morning when she blew up...as did my stoma on so many occasions!  Now Rose suits her very well.  It also helps remind me that she really is a beautiful thing.  Except for the past several weeks.   Still she will stay Rose!

Have others stayed with there original name?  Curious...

Robert and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 25, 2018 11:17 am  

Got a few "rose's" out there.. I am keeping whoo00a "Nellie"  after the galloping horse. in the old western movies.. :-)  

So, Nellie welcomes, Rose, and Attila............. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
January 25, 2018 11:31 am  

Good Morning Carol

It took me over a year to name mine then he became Norman . I went with Norman because I figure times when he is being overly active he is Stormin Norman and when things are regular and quite he is Normal Norman . :-)

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register