Clear all

Befuddled Newbie

Page 2 / 2

Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Registered

Posted by: @varg55

You should experiment with lots of different products to find out what works best for you.  Don't be shy about asking the suppliers for free samples. 

This is a great suggestion.  I found that Hollister, Convatec and Coloplast will all provide free samples.  The added benefit of this is they will have you speak to one of their ostomy nurses who will ask and answer questions you have and even ones you haven't thought of.  Through trial and process of elimination you will find what works best for you.  Finally know that over a period of days or weeks the physical aspects of your stoma may change.  This is normal but may cause you to use a product different from the one you start with.

Glad you are part of the community.  I know I am.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome @alida

It looks like I'm late for the party! LOL I'm glad that others have chimed in here, and there's a lot of good info to go through. 

I do agree with @dogtalkerer that if you feel that the bag smells, then it probably does. But with that said, we tend to be very self-conscious about smells, noises, and the appearance of our appliance that sometimes we think we smell our ostomy bag, but it ends up being something else. Heck, I go into a panic whenever I smell my wife making coffee a few minutes before I realize that's what the smell is.  😂

But if you are wearing your appliance for more than a few days and/or if it has a leak, then it's likely that it is giving off some odor (a good sign that you need to change it). Dogtalkerer is also correct in saying that some plastics simply don't hold odors all that well, and the last year has seen some reliable, consistent brands/products change for the worse. 

Sample various ostomy appliances, and consider using an in-pouch deodorant (M9 is what I use with really good results!). 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Posted by: @veganostomy

Heck, I go into a panic whenever I smell my wife making coffee a few minutes before I realize that's what the smell is.  😂

Remind me if I ever get to Canada! not to pop in yours for coffee :-) 

Only a jest I'm sure your wife makes good coffee, more likely need to doubt your sense of smell ;-0. !!!

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
winnie
(@winnie)
Registered

Welcome Alida!

Posted by: @alida

OK!  First question: I was telling the ostomy nurse that I could smell my stoma bag and she told me that everyone smells their own, but she didn't smell anything.  Which makes no sense to me.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I've noticed that because I know what I am looking for I will be aware of my bag odor before other people...but if I ignore the initial wiff then I will get used to it and my kids will notice.

Posted by: @alida

Second question:  I've heard of people tucking a bit of essential oil in the pocket of a stoma wrap/bag cover to combat smells.  Again, does anyone have any ideas?

I tried a bunch of different essential oils, and really didn't like the result. They tend to mask aromas by providing a stronger but hopefully more pleasing smell. I just found that I would always smell the essential oil and I didn't like it. What I found works best for me is having an unsented _lubricant_ in the pouch, and adding psyllium to my diet which helps me have more formed less smelly output.

-Jon

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@chrisandbagpus

Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

Remind me if I ever get to Canada! not to pop in yours for coffee :-) 

Only a jest I'm sure your wife makes good coffee, more likely need to doubt your sense of smell ;-0. !!!

haha! Oh, the coffee tastes great, but I've always found the smell of coffee to be "bad". Kind of like how durian fruit is. 😂😂

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered

Welcome Alida,

You have found the perfect place to ask questions and get support. I think all of us feel lucky in this way. And you have found it at the start of your new life, which is great. It does all get better. There will come a day when you will actually forget about the entire thing for a while.

I do recommend the EZ Vents for getting the gas out of the bag. We all still pass gas and we all have to deal with it. It is more comfortable, easier on the seals and just better to take control of the venting. Most of the bags that come with some kind of venting system don't work very well. SO if this is the case you might want to look into these 'add ons'. There is info on them here at VO, of course!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

(@alida)

Hi Alida,

Eric isn't the only one late to this party! Welcome to a wonderful website filled with info and all kinds of support from the other members. Of course, Eric is a gem and a half! I have had my colostomy since May of 2018. I had the same concerns at first as you do now, but like dogtalker, I use a one-piece Sensura Mio appliance with a built-in filter from Coloplast, and so far, my husband, who has an extremely sensitive nose, hasn't smelled anything. (Believe me, he'd be the first to tell me!) I also use M9 from Hollister and about a quarter teas. of mineral oil for lubricant  each time I empty my bag. Regarding the filter, it is very strong in that it will flatten your appliance and could cause pancaking. I place the provided shower covers over the filter, and when I need it, I temporarily remove the filter. Most times, however, I just go into the bathroom and carefully "burb" the bag. 

Wishing you the best as you begin your journey as an ostomate!

God Bless,

Stella

ReplyQuote
Alida
(@alida)
Registered
Topic starter  

I'm now five weeks post-op and I'm on a bit of a high right now.  I can finally say that I'm feeling comfortable with my bag.  My nurse reminded me this morning of how I couldn't even change my own bag (I would literally gag!)  I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my questions on this forum; it was so good to know I wasn't alone!

With Squiggy since 3/31/21

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@alida...So good to hear!! It didn't take me very long to appreciate my stoma but things certainly improved when I stumbled across VO & all the great folks & support here!! 

Thanks to All & thanks Eric so very much!

Linda

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Alida, That’s sure great to hear, plus it’s a big step on your ostomy journey. That journey can have an odd pothole in the road but we keep motoring. The sky’s the limit so get as high as you can ☀️⛅️🌈⛅️

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@alida

Good for you! As John said, there will be bumps in the road at times, but you are well on your way to a new normal -which actually isn't so bad. It has made my life far better as my ostomy saved my life!

God bless,

Stella

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2