Clear all

Post colectomy Crohn's treatment

6 Posts
5 Users
7 Likes
sgraffrn
(@sgraffrn)
Topic starter  

As a brand new ostomate I had a discussion with my surgeon yesterday during a follow up visit about continuation of medical treatment for Crohn's. I have been fortunate that my disease damage has been confined to my dearly departed colon. I was on several years of Humira and then a few months of Cimzia before my surgery. I stopped it several weeks before surgery. I meet with my GI in June but am curious to hear of others experience in starting up medical treatment after surgery. 

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I failed all the treatments I was on, including biologics, but the way my GI left it was a follow up scope a year after surgery and to make an appointment if anything changes.  No meds. 

I was also fortunate that my disease was confined to my colon and rectum (both gone). 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

sgraffrn reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)

after my colectomy I was not prescribed any medication , I was suffering from ulcerative colitis for over 30 years and my colon was shot , 

After a few months after surgery  what was left of my colon(rectal stump ) started to flair and I was prescribed salafalk enemas and pentasa supporitories and they sorted the problem out , I am still having other symptoms such as arthritis but hopefully my rheumatologist  will sort that out in the near future . 

Unless you are having problems there is probably no reason for medication as the part of your body that was giving you the most problems has been removed , hope you are recovering well after your surgery .

ReplyQuote
sgraffrn
(@sgraffrn)
Topic starter  

Thanks Tony!  I'm hoping to stay off meds if possible. 

ReplyQuote
(@berri03)

A few months after removing my colon and rectum and forming an ileostomy, my GI Doc performed an ileoscopy in order to see if any Crohn's was coming back in the small intestine. The results showed signs of the disease returning so he talked with me about my medical options. Having been on both Remicade and Humira in the past, both of which didn't work well for me, he recommended Stelara. It has been used for years to treat patients with plaque psoriasis, but was approved this past October for Crohn's. Has anybody had experience with this medication and has it worked well for you?

ReplyQuote
(@raspout66)

I have been given Stelara 4 months after having my stoma surgery to prevent my Crohn coming back. No side effects. Hope it works because I have 1 meter small intestines left...

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote