Notifications
Clear all

Irrigation

8 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@zvitusk)
Topic starter  

I am contemplating the concept of IRRIGATION. 

Who, with what, where, when and how. 

What does it accomplish?  What are the limitations?

Any literature on the subject? 

HELP?

Sarah Green
(@sarah-green)

The Colostomy UK Facebook group have a lot of members who irrigate you will find further information there. This leaflet is useful 

http://www.colostomyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/CA015-04r01-An-Introduction-to-Irrigation.pdf

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)
Topic starter  

Thank you for sharing.  I see that I am going to need some help. Anyone in Baltimore, MD?

I will talk to my WOCN about this.

Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Just to clarify - are you looking for options to irrigate your stoma, or are you looking at bowel irrigation (i.e. "colon cleanse") to treat IBD? 

If it's the latter, I would highly recommend staying away from it. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)
Topic starter  

?y idea is to regulate my fecal output. My bag needs to be emptied too many times a day and is disruptive to any schedule that I want to keep. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Zvitusk

The idea is to regulate my fecal output. My bag needs to be emptied too many times a day and is disruptive to any schedule that I want to keep. 

Great, so we are on the same page. This topic has been requested before, and I wish I had first-hand experience to share with you, but I don't because of my ileostomy.

The Colostomy association does have some information on this that might be helpful to you: http://www.colostomyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/CA015-04r01-An-Introduction-to-Irrigation.pdf

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@mykirbyroo)

Hi again, Zvitusk!  Saw your post about irrigation and thought I'd give you my experience with it.  My colorectal surgeon told me that I would be a great candidate for irrigation because I, too, have a very active colostomy which was giving me fits every night, so he referred me to my ostomy nurse and she taught me how to do it.  There's really nothing to it once you learn how -- but I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you talk with either your surgeon or your ostomy nurse BEFORE you order the necessary supplies or attempt to do it on your own.

Randy Henniger has done an excellent video on YouTube and I have linked it here:

Before I irrigated alone the first time after receiving instruction and tips from my ostomy nurse, I did a search on YouTube for a video and discovered Randy's video.  He videoed the whole process from start to finish and it is very good -- but it is no substitute for instruction from your ostomy nurse.

Irrigating late in the evening about an hour before bedtime lets me sleep all night without fear of waking up to a mess.  I was taught to use quite a bit of water to ensure a good clean out, and my nurse and I discovered that it takes about an hour to complete the whole procedure.  But for me, it works extremely well and I normally irrigate almost every night.

Please contact your ostomy nurse (or your surgeon) and ask about irrigation.  Be sure your nurse SHOWS you how to do it.  Once you get the knack of it, it's easy, but it will take some patience.  Best wishes and good luck!!!!

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)
Topic starter  
Dear friends, 
Thank you for sharing your knowledge
and experience. When I get comfortable
with the idea, I intend to proceed.
Eric, your forum is the greatest.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote