Weight loss and wei...

Weight loss and weight gain after ostomy surgery  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

KamiH
(@kamih)
Registered
August 22, 2018 7:42 pm  

Hi everyone!  I have had my ostomy since June 2016 and have gained about 20 pounds since being home.  I think it is because FINALLY I am able to eat without getting sick and I can eat all kinds of good tasting things.   I also do my fair share of emotional eating and that adds a lot of wasted calories.  

I don't have great willpower but am trying to start by just eating less and adding exercise.  Anyone that has any helpful tips, I am willing to listen!!  Thanks.  

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
August 22, 2018 8:09 pm  

Send the pounds over to me . I would kill for 15 pounds . 

But really just cut down on sugar . No sweets no soda . You will se a huge difference. 

Be well , Bubbles 

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 23, 2018 1:52 am  

Hi KamiH, I had been so sick and dealt with so much pain that I related it to eating. When the pain was gone and I was able to eat again, but I did start gaining close to 11 pounds a week. By the end of the month, I just about flipped. Because of finances we had not been buying the usual culprits, no ice cream, chips, candy sadly even chocolate.  Just all around good food. I had been eating small meals more frequently and fruits that contained lots of water...ie; melons, whenever possible. But I kept gaining. By week six I was devastated at what was happening and went to my doctor. He tested me for Thyroid problems and sure enough I had Hypothyroidism.  It was the cause of my weight gain. No matter what I did I could not loose the weight. Once on a thyroid pill the gain stopped in it tracks. I truly wish that someone had said to me after the first 20 to go see my doctor as it seems quick to gain that kind of weight.  The way I see it, our bodies go thru so much trauma with illness, surgery the like, it would be understandable  to expect the possibility of a thyroid issue. I am not diagnosing anything here, just giving you info I did not have. I hope things can change for you. If you feel hungry all the time, have you tried eating smaller greener meals. It is never too late. Feel encouraged. Watermelon is high in fluid and filling.  I hope things settle down for you.

Linda

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 23, 2018 5:25 am  

Hi KamHi, It seems to be the case we go from under weight to normal weight to the case of I now seem to be 20 pounds over weight. As bubbles said cut out the unhealthy snacks.Make sure that fruit and veg are always handy. chop veg and have in the fridge keep a fruit bowl handy. When shopping don,t buy the unhealthy stuff, if it not in the house we cant eat it. How many short journeys do we use the car when we could walk. Plus not only will we be fitter but those extra pounds can cause problems when our tummy changes shape with the wafer.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
August 23, 2018 1:35 pm  

Hello KamHi,

Like John says, this is a common problem. We are near starvation before we get this surgery ( at least for lots of us) and then we get healthy and very hungry again.  Same thing happened to me. Huge weight loss and now I have to watch it. Thats probably a good sign health wise.

I too eat very mindfully. Healthy stuff. No added sugar mostly plants. I also limit the times I eat to between around 7Am and 3PM/  This both helps maintain a good weight and keeps me from having to get up in the night to empty my bag. Lunch is my main meal of the day.

I drink lots of water right through the day. Sometimes I eat a small snack in late afternoon. Not eating dinner thing is a challenge socially. My family understands and I do make allowances for special occasions.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 23, 2018 1:59 pm  
Posted by: Dona

Hello KamHi,

I drink lots of water right through the day. Sometimes I eat a small snack in late afternoon. Not eating dinner thing is a challenge socially. My family understands and I do make allowances for special occasions.

Now their is a really good point, "social eating" how many of us feel pressured into eating at the wrong time or just the wrong food. Family get-togethers are usually around food and I just take a small plateful and also my friends and family also understand.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
August 23, 2018 2:33 pm  

....and there is always room for birthday cake!

and, like John says, very small servings. Looks like you are eating with people. Social stuff can be a real challenge.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
August 23, 2018 2:45 pm  

After a day of fine dining...…..shall we say?????????? Be non social to yourself for a good 3-4 days.  It averages out.. You decide how much "fine dining" you did and equal it out.. Not a bad pattern--  I do this.  Even tho I could use much weight-- I hate the hips calories. !! .

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
August 26, 2018 10:04 pm  

I am losing weight with Weight Watchers . Lost 20 lbs since May. My goal is to get to 100 kilos or 220 lbs.

I started at 257 lbs.

I also recognized that I NEED to start walking. First week my goal was 1100 steps. I got out of breath too easily. I am keeping at it and averaging 3000 steps daily,  now. I  aim to get to 6000 steps by mid October. I am breathing better and have much more energy than the spring .

Please God,  I will continue to improve my health and well-being,  even as I age gracefully with my wife and family. I hope to continue to overcome obstacles like stomas and cancers as i have grown past liver and kidney transplants . God rescued my ancestors from Egypt,  Babylon, Greece and Rome. He takes good care of my people and me. I trust that he will take of my family and friends in the future. 

Keep moving forward! 

Z

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
August 27, 2018 11:28 am  

Well done thou good and faithful.  You are making great strides and you are an example for all of us. I hope you will keep us posted on your progress it inspires us all. As for me I still struggle to stay standing, but a make a  couple more feet walking with a walker every day. Keep it up Z Zion lies ahead.

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Veggie Bee
(@veggie-bee)
Registered
November 20, 2018 4:46 pm  

I gained and can't lose. Even right after surgery, I was told I would lose weight from the weight of the colon being gone and from the prep and lack of food, but I was heavier when I left the hospital, which makes no logical sense since I didn't eat for days. I immediately gained 30+ pounds in 2 months and haven't been able to take it off without drastic measures. I find it's a lot harder to gain muscle and I'm a lot less athletic. My body fat is a lot higher and my hormones are really messed up. None of this was an issue before my surgery and I cannot figure out how to fix it

I wonder if this is due to lack of gut flora which has been shown to support metabolism and synthesize nutrients for the thyroid, a cauterized hepatic portal vein (which dumps excess hormones and toxins into the colon, which I do not have and thus gets reabsorbed), and sibo, to name a few. Not sure though.

The weight gain has flared up my other health issues and it's been tough and discouraging. I also have 2 hernias, so the weight gain and bloating makes those hurt like the dickens. My stoma is huge too... I wear Coloplast and have to cut the flange all the way to the 43mm make and it's still often too small, since my stoma expands a lot during the day. Stomas are supposed to shrink after surgery, but mine more than doubled in diameter.

It affects my self esteem a lot. I used to be athletic and fit and now it's quite opposite. 😔 

Colectomy+Ileostomy due to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. 8/9/17

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Please Login or Register