Community Forums

Leaks in Public  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 6, 2018 5:17 am  

Hi Folks, That dreaded 4 letter word!! its happens us all! Now for me most of those leaks have been night time and no one apart from my wife knew. but its a bigger deal away from home. you may have seen Eric s video on such a case on a family outing and how he deal with it. I keep a back up of supplies in the car but we should have a plan of action in our head! i was thinking about this and what i mean is a thought out plan, run through it in our mind. think what and how i would handle things. example yer in the supermarket and it happens. yer kit is in the car! it would be interesting to hear what ideas you all have.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
January 6, 2018 9:13 am  

it really is the nightmare scenario`John , I only had one close call and I was near to home, I am getting too confident at the moment and most of the time I don't even bring supplies with me , I must get a bag together and leave it in the car , 

my kit would contain

tea shirt

track bottoms (for comfort)

two piece system already cut  and seals  

adhesive remover and wipes

wet wipes and soft kitchen towel 

bags for disposal (i use doggie bags since i have a good supply) 

trio gel  output thickener and pouch deodorant ,

I think that's it , if anyone can think of anything else please say , I know Eric has a video with recommendations  in a video but people might see this thread before they find that .

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
January 6, 2018 9:18 am  

Us Ladies have it much easier since we carry a purse . Maybe the Gents can have their wives carry a change  for them . It doesn't take up much room just put everything in a small zip lock bag . I have couple wipes in little foil packets i.e.: remover and barrier wipe . Or the guys can start using a small Fanny pack . There are very stylish ones now . 

Be well, Bubbles 

Robert, Tony H and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 6, 2018 9:20 am  

Yep Tony I too have been to confident. I did have one few years back and no kit, but I was working with a tractor in the middle of no where and it was a long unpleasant drive home

Robert and Tony H liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 6, 2018 9:23 am  

Bubbles good idea getting yer wife to carry supplies in the hand bag. I have to say every time I hear fanny pack it makes me smile!! Tony will know what I mean lol

Tony H liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 6, 2018 11:18 am  
Posted by: Bubbles

Us Ladies have it much easier since we carry a purse . Maybe the Gents can have their wives carry a change  for them .

Hey, man purses are catching on! I don't see any problem with men keeping a satchel with them when they go out 😀

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 6, 2018 11:29 am  

I seem to have leaks at infusions.. I always carry 2 pouches, wipes, 2 seal rings, a disposal bag from the box the pouches came in, 2 wash cloths, (at infusion I use theirs) and napkins.. This fits well into a nice sized zip bag from the dollar store-(the wash cloths are in a bag separate).  I did have a leak in the car once, and at night-but so far nothing at night.. I do rather well with these fast changes.  But once at infusion, I just went home.. I was a mess.... 

I also have a nice set up for having to empty if I am in the car.. vomit bag, napkins, gloves, colored bag-or a can of nice size you/I can handle with ease.. Once again the dollar store had some nice cloth long bags to hold everything and I just hang it over the head rest on the seat.. Not noticeable.. I am getting to be a pro.. :-)

THESE ARE A MUST TO HAVE WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES !!!!!!!!! YOUR NOT IN CHARGE OF THE WEATHER, OR TRAFFIC..  Bubbles is right, have the wife carry for you guys. She gets a new nice purse. ho-bo purse as a gift of thanks..  AS John said "you cant hold what is not in your hand"--but truthly, you don't want to hold this mess in your hands. It our responabilty  to take care of ourselves.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
January 6, 2018 12:50 pm  

Luckily for me I haven't had a problem while in public yet n hope I don't . Leaks I have had have been at home . Most of the time I wear cargo shorts so I have lots of large pockets where I carry wet wipes (in a baggie) a little TP a couple travel packs of lubricant an xtra bag (since I wear a 2 piece) and a trash bag that come in the box with my bags . But for the car I carry a backpack with

pair of shorts , shirt , pack of wet wipes , bottle of lubricant , water bottle , bags , barriers scissors , removal wipes , skin protector wipes , small towels , trash bags , roll of TP everything I need for a complete change as if I was at home except a blow dryer . Maybe a little overboard but I think I am ready !

But now I realize I better put in a pair of chonies !

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Tony H and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 6, 2018 1:09 pm  

Hey Robert, It is a dreadful event and I hope by starting this It ain,t making any one nervous. in my time any leaks except night time ones can be caught in time!! but as Tony righty pointed out we can too confident! and have to be prepared. it part of life with an ostomy and we all get on with it. A lot better than the days needing the loo so fast that had we been on a track we would have gotten a medal. Now that hair dryer, what about one of those small generators lol!! Plus yer getting yer own back "chonies"

Tony H and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
nancyab
(@nancyab)
Registered
January 8, 2018 7:46 am  

I go by the rule (as far as a back-up supply goes) "Don't Leave Home Without It!" I have two of the Coloplast bags which came with marking pen, scissors, and a couple of other items. I put in all my wipes, a one-piece, a barrier and a couple of pouches for my two-piece (which I usually wear), a disposal bag (one of those that came with my pouches). I use the cut-to-fit barrier, so I have these cut ahead of time. I've had to do an away-from-home appliance change once, and everything went very well. I am going to take the additional precaution, as some of those responding do, of putting a change of clothes in a backpack to leave in the car. My Coloplast bag I take with me everywhere I go. This I do not leave in the car. I do wear the incontinent underwear and these have been a big help with a really bad leak to keep things contained while disposing.  Remember: "It's NOT If, but when." 

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
January 9, 2018 5:51 pm  

I almost never carry a leak kit with me.  In 19 months of baggin it, I have never had a major leak in public.  I did once have a minor leak because of a unsecured velcro seal at the bottom of a bag. 

When I think of it and I am going out I try to remember to take my emergency kit of a pre-cut wafer, bag, ring, wipes, etc.  But never have needed them.  

I do wear a New Hope ostomy belt that keeps the seal under pressure at all times. I don't have a hernia, but just don't want one.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 9, 2018 8:36 pm  

You're living on the edge, Bago! LOL

I haven't had a public leak in maybe two years, but I have had instances where I've had to replace my pouch (i.e. bag was punctured and another time the velcro fastener CAME OFF so my pouch wouldn't stay closed!).

Some assurance is better than none ;) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 9, 2018 8:52 pm  

Bango----------- You will soon learn a lesson........... Your walking of a HIGH cliff dear one !! Big wind coming-and you are not in charge of "mother Nature" Hopefully, you would have remembered your "kit" Prayers that you stay proper footed............ But if______________? Love to hear about it.. :-) You just may have something NEW to offer us!! 

Best. Marcie.................

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
January 10, 2018 4:54 am  
Posted by: Bago

I almost never carry a leak kit with me.  In 19 months of baggin it, I have never had a major leak in public.  I did once have a minor leak because of a unsecured velcro seal at the bottom of a bag. 

When I think of it and I am going out I try to remember to take my emergency kit of a pre-cut wafer, bag, ring, wipes, etc.  But never have needed them.  

I do wear a New Hope ostomy belt that keeps the seal under pressure at all times. I don't have a hernia, but just don't want one.

the support belt is the right way to go , esp ones like the new hope belt , I was given the old type by my ostomy nurse and all it did was cause major leaks , I stopped wearing it and got a small hernia , 

the only reason i know about the other types of belts is Erics  reviews which I saw on youtube ,

sorry for going "slightly" off topic Eric 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register