Notifications
Clear all

Brava Seals  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 4, 2018 2:54 pm  

Hi Folks, I have been using the Brava seals the 2.5 now for about couple of weeks, the reason I have started to use is to heal some broken skin at the bottom edge of the Stoma. Eric you did a review on these a while back and over all they tested well. I have to say they are very easy to use and come of very well. not I am not using them to prevent leaks but I can say they do stand up to wear time very well and could see how they would be a big help. One thing I noticed when I took the wafer of was a little bit of blood where I have that broken skin. I have put the seal just touching the stoma as I have seen in the videos and my question is?? Am I putting it to close? Now when I say blood its only a little bit.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 4, 2018 4:53 pm  

Hey John,

Sometimes you may notice blood - I do from time to time. If your appliance is too tight or if you've hit your stoma, it may bleed. But it may also bleed when wiping it or when removing your appliance. 

A little is totally normal. 

I find that seals don't generally cause my stoma to bleed, but the sharp edge of some wafers do.

A few things to keep in mind: 

- If the seal is too loose, then it may not do what you need it to.

- Even if you apply your wafer or the seal on 100% correctly, peristalsis may cause your stoma to become larger and inadvertently cause it to rub or press against the inner edge of your wafer or the seal causing some bleeding. I wouldn't worry too much about this unless it's causing you other issues like blockages or pain.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 4, 2018 5:44 pm  

Cheers Eric, a little bleeding of the stoma say from the wafer to tight etc am used to! just not having used the seals before was wondering. I have to hold my hands up to one thing!! I had to Google "peristalsis" LOL!!

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
January 4, 2018 5:58 pm  

love to know how you get on with these seals long term ,  I would love to use them but Coloplast  don't sell them down south or in Scotland , hopefully they will be available down here soon , I often get a little blood on my stoma when I'm cleaning it during a change , as Eric said that's normal for a small amount .

Maybe with the new seals you don't need to cut your wafer as close as they seem to fit to the shape of the stoma and give a good seal anyway .

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 4, 2018 6:21 pm  

Hi Tony, Not cutting the wafer as close is a good point, Eric what would be yer thoughts on that. only a newbe as far as seals go! but for the short time I have been using am impressed. I thought they may be a mess to remove but no. In fact taking of the wafer it looked like the ring was just part of it. Will keep ye,s posted, its a real pity and strange the way some of the companies work.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 5, 2018 12:22 pm  
Posted by: Tony H

love to know how you get on with these seals long term ,  I would love to use them but Coloplast  don't sell them down south or in Scotland , hopefully they will be available down here soon ,

Hi Tony, I was at the chemist where I pick up my supplies today. I said I had a friend who would like to try the Brava seals but for the reasons stated about was unable. He know a few chemists south of the Border and is going to see if their is a way round the problem. its worth a try!

Tony H liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 6, 2018 3:00 pm  

Hi Tony just when I see you online (see above)

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
January 6, 2018 3:14 pm  

Hi John , my chemist tried the suppliers and until our version of the nhs ,hse  , approve the seals they can't sell them down here , 

however a kind fellow forum member has offered to send me a few samples that they have no need off , but it would be interesting how your pharmacist gets on , 

I even tried to buy them off coloplast uk and they were looking for doctors info so that they could check if I needed them , its a combination of Coloplast and our health service not pushing to get them down here ,

thanks for inquiring on my behalf John  

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 6, 2018 3:19 pm  

No Bother Tony, funny my next suggestion was I send you down some to try. but looks like some one has beaten me to it.

Tony H liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 6, 2018 7:22 pm  
Posted by: john68

Hi Tony, Not cutting the wafer as close is a good point, Eric what would be yer thoughts on that. only a newbe as far as seals go! 

Most people, including myself, find that cutting he wwfer aa little larger than usual (no more than say 2mm) is fine when using a barrier ring. Both the ring and wafer will swell up and fill small gaps between your stoma and the rest of the system 😀

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 6, 2018 7:49 pm  

Eric is right.. makes a pillow affect.. and u can pretty much make the size u need.  This is what I do.. No seal ring ? = It cuts into me..  I also, can send some to others. I cut mine in half.. :-) But this works very well for me.. No double ring indentions or skin sores.  

I am still trying out the Brava protective seals again.. from coloplast.. new ones. (we have a thing going)  :-) ------ Eakin cohesive still in the going.. But I can only try new products on weekends.  I would love to order more brave prot.-seals but they come in 30 per box.  that puts me on the hard side-as that will be a months worth for medicare..  But just got 6 more in the mail today.. 

[Moderator edited]

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 19, 2018 11:05 am  

Hi All, just a follow up on my experience of the seals, just to recap the reason for trying was some broken skin, at the start it looked like it was doing the job but a few days ago it started to get very sore. it seems to be for me I seem to having a reaction to them. have not used them my last 2 changes and am nearly back to normal. now the product is easy to use, if leaks where a problem would certainly do the trick. Now this is not meant to put any one of as I do have sensitive skin full stop!! but thought it best to say

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
January 19, 2018 11:12 am  

hey John thats good to know as I'm about to try them soon as my gift supply has arrived from the US courtesy of Bubbles ,

Trio have a similar product which did not suit my skin but I have good hopes for these , hope they are as good as the eakin seals which i am getting at least five days use of at the moment .

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 19, 2018 2:15 pm  

HI Bubbles, This is why I go back and forth with different seals. Eikn, I favor--But put in an order for the ones you talked about so much.. Only ordered 20 Procteive seals. Let u know what I think of them.. So far I feel they shrink.. ???? THe eikn seals absorb.. But if u having issues with sores, make sure that you change on the third day-unless you feel something itching.then change earlier..  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote