Clear all

Granulomas?

26 Posts
6 Users
28 Likes
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone.  Since the swelling has gone down in my stoma, I've been noticing bumps, mostly at the junction with my skin, but some on the stoma.  I just assumed that this was the normal appearance of a stoma since I am new at this.  But, I've googled it and I think that I may have granulomas.  I have no discomfort and they are not interfering with my appliance.  I've had no leaks in my 10 weeks as an ostomate, just one blowout at night due to gas buildup.    I know that this is really a question for an ostomy nurse, but I do have a deductible on my insurance, and if it is nothing I'd hate to deal with the expense of a visit.  Anyone have any experience with granulomas? 

Thanks for listening,

Glenn

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK reacted
(@squeakyandliza)

Hi Glenn,

I have had a lot of granulomas, both on my stoma and like you, on the edge of skin by the stoma. My ostomy nurse has “burned them off” by using a stick, like a long matchstick with silver nitrate on the tip. Even though the stoma has no feeling, she always squirts it with some liquid lidocaine to numb it a bit. It is a super quick easy process. There will be a bit of black coloration for a day or two in the spots she touched with the silver nitrate. I would imagine it should be included with your ostomy appt, from an insurance standpoint. At least with mine it is. 

Good question. I hope this helped. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Glenn, I was bothered with them a while back, Although they may not be a bother now I would get them looked at. Make sure that now the stoma is shrinking that you are getting a good fit. These little gems like nothing better than some of yer output to thrive on. I remember you saying that your stoma has a good spout so make sure that under it the wafer is not leaving skin exposed. Convatec make a paste which can be a help call Ora base. It’s pretty much like what is put on mouth ulcers. Silver nitrate can be used to burn of as Liza said. The ones at the edge can get sore so don’t ignore.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

glenn.giroir, LK, VeganOstomy and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

Hi glenn, I had surgery on October of 2019. I developed granulomas and I got a prescription for the silver nitrate sticks. They are better , it seems to take quite a while to get rid of them altogether. Have you been seeing improvement with yours?

Kevin Dieffenbach

glenn.giroir and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Yes outside having the granulomas removed the silver nitrate is the most effective. Just a word of caution! That it should be used with care. 

glenn.giroir, dieffenk and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@dieffenk

Hi Kevin.  I need to see my stoma nurse, since I don't really know what normal looks like at this point.  I have no pain, but have a few red bumps on the stoma itself.  Then where the stoma meets my skin, it is pretty lumpy.  I think it is where the stitches were.  No problems with leaks or pain, and things seem to not be getting worse. My surgery was Dec 09.  So, I'm still seeing my stoma change a bit.  This is all so new to me...

ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@glenn-giroir

hi glenn, all new to me as well. I too have a couple of bumps right on the stoma, the doctor thought it might be a couple of lesions from my still active crohn's. They bleed a little too, but he wasn't concerned about them, and just keep a eye on them.

Ya this is quite the process isn't it? I have had quite a few surgeries, but this has been the hardest to adjust to, physically and mentally. But everyone says it will get better, but it does take quite awhile.

Kevin Dieffenbach

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

Update.  My stoma nurse says that I do have granuloma tissue where my sutures were.  No need to worry at this point as long as I'm getting a good seal.  If I have problems, we'll talk about removal. This was the first time I've seen her since all of the swelling from surgery has gone away.  Her other comments were, "your skin looks great, stoma is healthy, and you really do have an outie!"  I've suspected that.  It's about 2.5 cm (maybe a bit more) above the surface of the skin. Gives me a good spout that kinds of points down in the bag as it relaxes.  

ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@glenn-giro

HI glenn, that is good news. I'm glad you are seeing a nurse, it helps to have some support. I am seeing mine this week. It is getting a bit better, and it does take quite awhile,but hang in there, I have seen some darkest hours, and I believe this experience is handled in so many different ways. By different personalities. My wife and I just did a long weekend for the first since surgery in October, and we did well. So I believe you will have a similar time with this. Kevin

Kevin Dieffenbach

ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@glenn-giro

HI Glenn, just curious, do you still have the bleeding Bumps on your stom? I still do, but have not gotten worse. I haven't seen that anyone else on this site has them. Just checking with you. Kein

Kevin Dieffenbach

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Kevin, l was troubled with these little pests a while back. I would say don’t ignore see your stoma nurse and their are various treatments. They may start small but can grow and cause leaks and pain. I eventually had them removed and no trouble since 

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Kevin,

I second what John said. You should probably see your stoma nurse. I have had several granulomas and they are easy to remove. In fact, I have some now, so probably should make an appointment myself. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

dieffenk reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@dieffenk

My bumps have pretty much stabilized and don't give me any problem.  My ostomy nurse maintains that I don't have to worry about them unless they cause problems with the seal or become worse or cause pain.  I'm honestly not sure if my issue is granuloma tissue or just scar tissue where my stoma stitches were, because they have not changed in 8 months now and cause no issues.  I am still yet to have a single leak since surgery (over 8 months).  I guess as long as my nurse is not concerned and nothing changes, I'm not going to worry.  I really hope your bumps quit giving you issues.     

dieffenk reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@glenn-giroir

Thanks for your input !!

Kevin Dieffenbach

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@glenn-giroir

Thanks for your help !!

Kevin Dieffenbach

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@squeakyandliza

Thanks and good luck !!

Kevin Dieffenbach

ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

@john68

Thanks John, I'm due to see her !

Kevin Dieffenbach

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I too have a couple of small granulomas. No trouble yet, but now I am thinking I should bring it up with medical people ( when I can go back to the doctors). As long as your bag seals its probably not imperative or maybe you can get some on line advise from stoma nurse.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
(@wnorm)

Hi. I'm new to this Granuloma Forum , but not to granulomas. They are getting much worse.Nothing helps. I've had 5 ileostomy revisions since 2020. Post-op I usually develop peristomal cellulitis. I've read that granulomas can often occur if there are any post-op infections. I follow a very thorough protocol to maintain my ileostomy. My ostomy nurse says that my techniques are impeccable. She has no advise for me on how to successfully treat my granulomas. I don't have just a few bumps. I have a ~1/2 cm.or more bleeding and painful  granuloma ring around the base of the stoma, plus numerous individual granulomas on the surface of the stoma. i can treat the individual granulomas with silver nitrate sticks. However the "slash and burn" silver nitrate treatment of the granuloma ring is painfully ineffective. I've tried everything mentioned in all the granuloma posts. Nada. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi there, You have my full sympathy. I like you have always been really careful about my changes. But I still managed a visit from these pesky little gits. The only thing that finally got rid was having them removed. Simple short day procedure. That was it back to normal ?

wnorm reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2