Clear all

Thumb/wrist pain

6 Posts
6 Users
3 Likes
 Rick
(@rick)
Topic starter  

I’ve noticed since my ostomy emptying bag days that my thumb and wrist hurt quite a bit, almost like it arthritis type of pain. I may be squeezing too much to clean the bag and seal it again.  anybody else ever have this problem?

Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

Hi Rick, Do you use your computer/ mouse a lot.? I have the same problem with my hands esp. the index finger but attribute it to the mouse. It's quite painful at times.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @rick

I may be squeezing too much to clean the bag and seal it again.

If you suspect that is the cause of the pain, ease up for a week and see if it gets better. 

I do echo @fred about identifying other causes of this problem, like computer use. 

Good luck. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

Instead of squeezing the bag have you tried flushing the bag with water, I think Eric mentions that somewhere on the site. Its also one of the several reason I prefer a two piece bag I have more ways of emptying the bag

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Rick...you may also be developing symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The nerve in your wrist to your thumb, index & middle finger can be involved. It is painful but can be diagnosed thru a Nerve Conduction Test. I deal with this all the time & even watched when a Doctor operated on my right wrist for Carpal Tunnel. Its am interesting procedure and seems simple enough. The nerve is released from whatever its attached itself to tgat is squeezing it and causing the pain.  I noticed relief as soon as the freezing wore off. The best therapy after shaking out the pain and numbness was the surgery then simply  using the offending hand to get it back into shape. Total heal time was relatively quick about 2 weeks,  but I also never babied the hand after & went straight to gently using it, then full on use. The testing is simple enough with little electrodes placed on certain nerve spots on your arm and wrist and fingers, then a quick little jolt of electricity,  a measured rhythm of how long it takes to make your fingers jump from the little jolt. I have CT in my left wrist (I'm a south paw) and it's not bad enough for the surgical procedure yet. This is a good thing but also annoying as it's been about 4 years with issues & the heavy numbness! As always, See your GP about it. Good luck! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hi Rick,

I have been experiencing this lately also, and actually went to see a walk-in doctor about it two weeks ago because I thought I might have sprained or even broken my thumb. Very painful, with the pain point the two joints on my thumb but radiating to my wrist and whole hand. The diagnosis was “trigger thumb” which is a strain of the ligaments (the thumb “pops” in and out of place - ew, and again, painful!). He gave me a wrist splint to wear, which keeps the thumb immobile - I wear it at night because during the day I really need that thumb! He advised that I take Ibuprofin (sp?) for the inflammation until that goes down. If that doesn’t work he said the next step would be a cortisone shot, then minor surgery. I am trying to not do either of those.

That doctor was not aware of my ostomy, and I didn’t mention it, but now you have made me think - I do really press those velcro lockn-roll pieces together pretty hard, to get a good feel for them fully engaging together. That probably exacerbated what I already do, which is type a lot. 

I have been trying to not stress that thumb any more than I have to, and to not press that velcro lock-n-roll so hard. My thumb has calmed down somewhat. And the velcro has been holding up even without my applying such pressure when I close it. But I am careful to make sure it is, indeed, engaged.

LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote