The Summer Ostomate: Ostomy Tips  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 12, 2015 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Share your summer tips !

My written article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dennis
 Dennis
(@Dennis)
May 12, 2015 2:01 pm  

I have only been using waterproof tape the past few years for swimming. I'm gonna have to try the extenders. It works okay, but eventually wears out. I use the neoprene stealth belts which help keep dry at least.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 12, 2015 4:37 pm  

Hi Dennis, even wafer extenders can/will wear out or start to peel, but you might find that some provide greater durability over others. I'd suggest requesting samples wherever you can :)

I'd love to try the neoprene stealth belt, but I'm not around water enough to justify the purchase (my insurance company won't cover those).

ReplyQuote
Dennis
 Dennis
(@Dennis)
May 13, 2015 7:08 pm  

I've ordered some of the samples you recommended in another post. Heading down to Florida in a couple weeks for vacation so it'll be good to test them out!
Unfortunately the ostomy accessories aren't covered by insurance in the US either(or anything ostomy related on my insurance, unfortunately.) I live near the water and love swimming so it was one of the first things I purchased. Well worth the money, they are very durable.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 13, 2015 9:50 pm  

Yes, so I hear! Let me know how those wafer extenders work for you :)

ReplyQuote
Nailla
 Nailla
(@Nailla)
July 7, 2015 8:01 pm  

Eric do you think opsite or tegaderm would work as a wafer extender? I'm going to Bermuda at the end of the month and I love to swim.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 7, 2015 8:03 pm  

Yes, they would, but it would be a bit tricky to frame that type of tape along your wafer's edge. Have fun!

ReplyQuote
Anna
 Anna
(@Anna)
July 14, 2020 10:21 pm  

Hey,
While this is useful information for folks with bags (ileostomies, colostomies, urostomies) this is not useful for non-bag ostomates. Using the word "Ostomy" in the title makes it seem like these tips are going to cover the broad spectrum of ostomies. Perhaps use a title such as "The Summer Ostomate: Ostomy Bag Tips" or "The Summer Ostomate: Ileostomy, Colostomy and Urostomy Tips"

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 14, 2020 10:48 pm  

Hi Anna. This is an interesting point, as I don't expect many people with non-bag (continent) ostomies will be visiting the site as the content is pretty much centered around living with a bag, but I do believe the tips on hydration will apply to all people with or without a bag.

I will consider a title change for this and other articles when required.

Thank you for giving me something to think about 😀

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 15, 2020 1:34 pm  

whats a "non bag ostomy"?

ReplyQuote