Clear all

Haven't Seen You In a While.

14 Posts
7 Users
30 Likes
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

Just a random thought.  I never thought I'd ever be so well acquainted with what comes out of my body.  It's kind of like, "Well, hello there.  How've you been?"  Sorry, but my mind is a strange place sometimes.  ?

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

sjlovestosing, LK, VeganOstomy and 1 people reacted
(@squeakyandliza)

I think a lot of our minds are in strange places these days. But I agree with you about this whole new awareness. It is a little odd. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

sjlovestosing and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

LOL. I had a child-like fascination with what came out of my stoma for several years after surgery - I'm not sure I'm over it yet, and we're almost on year 7 =) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@rosepritchard)

Hi all

Well I thought it was just me..... Quite happy to watch it for a while trying to anticipate what's going to be coming out. And of course I do like the clear bags! Maybe not such a good idea though to talk about all this to anyone other than another ostomate......

Rose
ileostomy December 2019

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

I find myself keeping my hand on top of my stoma at times so that I can feel the action down there.  I do it a lot when watching TV without even thinking about it. And while hiking, or driving, or anything that is kind of mindless.  Sometimes at school I have to laugh to myself when I do that, watching my students work, thinking to myself, "Don't mind me.  I'm just sitting here monitoring the output of my small intestine."  

Lynne, sjlovestosing, LK and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Too funny...not to worry folks...this too shall pass, lol, ????...eventually I've been  told! Eleven years still holding & still checking but I keep such a close connection to avoid blockages and making sure what went in DOES come out! I call it trauma experience & avoidance! We are parenting &  protecting a living,  active, moody, foriegn  object to most humans so we are naturally protective. Have you all named yours yet?  Mine is Rose, a beautiful thing, sometimes volcanic, sometimes not so much! Lol! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

It's funny, but I don't always have any sensation when I empty out. When Sometimesmy bag starts to get heavy, then I notice! ?Sometimes, I get phantom feelings in the bum when I am about to have output, but that's becoming less and noticable.

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

@sjlovestosing

I often get the phantom feelings after a meal.  It's so weird.  I want to run to the bathroom, then realize that I don't have to do anything.  I've had several dreams that I am doing #2 the old way.  I'm always so confused in my dream as to how I'd doing it.  The mind is such a crazy and amazing thing.  

LK and sjlovestosing reacted
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Topic starter  

The phantom urges remind me of when I was in the hospital after my surgery, my Dr had a good sense of humor.  He came in one time to check on me.  He was sitting there with his charts.  I told him that the stoma was working well, and I was having good output, but I was concerned because I had not had a bowel movement since I was there.  He just about dropped his chart, looked at me with a confused look, and said, "I thought we had discussed what this surgery would do.  You can't go down there anymore."  I looked surprised and said, "WHAT??"  Then I started laughing.  He was pretty relieved.  Then on another visit I asked him when I would be able to be reconnected (I had a proctocollectomy with a permanent ileostomy).  He started to stutter, then said, "You're messing with me again, right?" I think he was glad to see me go.  He did get me back, though.  During one visit, I had a rash near my abdominal incision.  He asked if I was allergic to anything.  I told him that I was allergic to bananas.  He said, "Well that explains it.  I must have dropped some banana on your abdomen during your surgery when I was eating breakfast."

Lynne, LK, Tony H and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

@glenn-giroir

That is really funny. It is great having a doctor with a good sense of humor. Since i’ve had my wound so long, we have had several follow ups with the surgeons assistant and everyone in their office knows us. We were going in for a follow up one time and our favorite nurse came in and asked us to help them play a trick on Tim (the assistant). Apparently the surgeon had started watching Breaking Bad and was always asking Tim if he had seen it yet. So they asked us to ask him if he had seen it, and record his response. So he came in and was chatting with us for a few minutes. Then he put on his gloves and said, how is your wound doing? I responded, well, have you ever seen Breaking Bad? He cracked up and said not you guys too!  He said he had been wondering why my husband was so focused on his phone (he was the one recording). They nurses loved it. It was such a good reaction.  I guess they wanted the video for something they were doing for his birthday. ??

I also cracked up my GI the first time I met him, but by accident. It was not too long after I got out of the hospital. The surgeon had told us he thought it was Crohn’s, so the GI was telling us he wanted to do a scope of the stoma and then look at the colon. I looked at him in all seriousness and asked him, they kept it?????  He must have laughed at that for a full minute.  ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

Lynne, LK and sjlovestosing reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I think a sense of humour is vital to our survival with Ostomies. It's also important to mess with Medical staff once in a while to keep them on  their toes! But...maybe not so with Student Nurses! 

My first round of malabsorption way back when....left me playing a joke on a young Nurse but accidentally involved her supervising nurse and two doctors! One thing they are never to do is to leave medications at the bedside and not witness the patient taking them. One of my meds was a suppository. I had told the young Nurse about my nursing history and managed to convince her I could "place" my own suppository without a witness thankyou very much! She decided I would do just fine and left the  medication &  the room. On her return she asked me how it went!? I on an unplanned whim said oh, just great! They go down very easy with some nice warm water!! 

Well...she was out of the room so fast she never heard me laugh! A few short min. later she returned all red faced & in obvious trouble because my surgeon , a GP, AND her in charge nurse entered the room all very serious looking. Myself and the 3 other patients were still having a very good chuckle as well as all holding our very sore incisions from laughing at her reaction so hard! 

Once I apologized profusely and begged her not to be punished by my "joke", they all left the room just as seriously as they entered. However, they were barely in the hallway when the Surgeon especially burst into a ball of laughter! I heard the student nurse say with such relief..."you mean she was joking" & the laughter grew louder all the way down the hallway.

I never did see that particular nurse again &  admit I felt bad for pulling this joke on such an unsuspecting person but it really was very hilarious to see the relief on everyone's faces and the further confusion on the students nurses face. 

Linda

glenn.giroir reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

As much as I try to pick them all out while I’m eating, I keep getting little white watermelon seeds in my bag. ??

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

As much as I try to pick them all out while I’m eating, I keep getting little white watermelon seeds in my bag. ??

Perfect for planting -seeds and manure ready mixed. Here's looking forward to a good crop of watermelons next year :mrgreen: 

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

Here's looking forward to a good crop of watermelons next year

Based on the big bulge in my belly (hernia), we may not have to wait until next year. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and ChrisandBagpus reacted
ReplyQuote