Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Small parastomal hernia pain with covid

Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
Topic starter  

Looking for help and advice.  I have a parastomal hernia with only a small bulge but if I cough or blow my nose my stoma can press out so I get by with pressing on it with my hands.  I now have covid and the coughing is causing a lot of pain.  I have two Nuhope belts but they do not fit and can't wear them.    I place it around my hips which are wider than my waist.  They don't fit because I have a small waist so it rides up no matter what size or position. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

LK liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I'm sorry to hear that tou have covid. I hope it's getting better for you.

Usually, hernias should be assessed by a stoma nurse who can find the most appropriate support system for your body. 

As I would imagine this is difficult to impossible at the moment, I wonder if Nu-Hope might be able to provide some additional tips or better option for your body type. 

You certainly don't want to aggravate the hernia with all the coughing. 

I'm hoping someone else might be able to chime in. I don't have hernia experience so I can't speak from first hand knowledge. 

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, Tigerlily and Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy Thank you, Eric.  I have two stoma nurses trying to find a hernia belt for me and we tried 3 different types.  It was very frustrating.  I saw a surgeon and it was decided that for now it didn't require surgery.  But now I'm worried,  due to the coughing.  I'm hoping it just hurts and not damaging anything.

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @veganostomy

Nu-Hope might be able to provide some additional tips or better option for your body type. 

I'll  give then a called in the morning.  Thanks again!  I hope someone else has experience that may help.

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Also sorry to hear about your Covid. Just a thought 💭 would it be possible to attach your current belt to underwear ie by stitching or iron on Velcro. May help keep in place. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
Topic starter  

@john68 I like that concept, John.  I will work on that.  I never thought of connecting it to clothes.  It's not like I'm gong out or any one will see my contraption lol

LK, Tigerlily and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

You never know! All the top models and A listers could soon be doing it. 😁

LK, Jattzl and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Have you tried Vanilla Blush? They are in Glasgow, but will ship anywhere. I haven’t tried their products, but I do have a hernia - I think I will order one of their hernia support products, but not until I have had my hernia repair done. You can find them online at www.vblush.com.  Please keep us posted, whatever you decide to do. We can all benefit from the experiences of others. Good luck.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK and Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
Topic starter  

@tigerlily

Posted by: @tigerlily

You can find them online at www.vblush.com.

Thank you Laurie!  Thank goodness the Covid cough has slowed but I need one for day to day. I will keep you posted.  Have you posted about your repair surgery?  I would like to follow.

Joanne

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
Topic starter  

@tigerlily Great website!  I can't figure out the foreign sizing though so I sent them an email.

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

@jattzl Google international sizing chart. It will give Canadian/American v UK

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@jattzl I have not had a hernia repair yet. “Non-essential “ surgeries are postponed here in Ontario because of Covid - again. To be honest, I’m OK with that. I’m ambivalent about having the surgery. I’m not having any issues because of the hernia right now, but I’m aware that there is increased risk of a blockage if my bowel gets strangulated, and then it would be an emergency procedure. I’m thinking I’d rather have some control, like being able to choose the surgeon, so I’d rather be able to plan it. But I had such a difficult time with my surgery the last time, so I’m definitely not looking forward to it. When it happens, I’ll post about it, but it could be several months away. Let us know how you like the Vanilla Blush products if you order any. I am really intrigued by their product line. 

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK liked
ReplyQuote