Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Ileostomy and Dry Skin

Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all,  So, is this even a thing?  I've had my ileo for just over a year and I've noticed my skin is dry as the desert.  I've always had dry skin, but this is beyond what was normal for me.  I know you don't retain your water when your large bowel is not in play, but I drink tons of water and other liquids to compensate.  I am getting older, 70 now, yikes, and I know it's normal for skin to lose its elasticity and moisture as we age, so I'm wondering if that's all it is, but the change seems kind of sudden for that.  I'm wondering if other ileostomates have experienced this, and also, if so, any tips on products, moisturizers etc. that might work for you.  Many thanks!

Terry

LK liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Yup, common enough that Hollister made an entire line of products to help with dry skin! Their CeraPlus wafers should help. I actually had to stop using them because my skin isn't typically dry and I wasn't able to get long wear time vs. their non-CeraPlus wafers!

Try to sample them for at least a few weeks so your skin can reap the benefits. 

And be sure to avoid any soaps around the stoma in case that's making the problem worse. 

Of course, age may be a fact, but that doesn't mean it's a permanent problem. 

Good luck! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy Sorry Eric,  I should have been more clear.  I'm not talking about my parastomal skin, in fact it's fine.  I'm just talking about my skin in general, face, hands, legs even.  I'm wondering if because of my ileostomy, my body is not absorbing enough water, despite my increased consumption, and this is what's causing my skin to be drier than normal.  Have you ever heard of this?  

Terry

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @varg55

Have you ever heard of this?

Hmm. That would be interesting, and could possibly be related if you are chronically dehydrated.

But, I've never seen that mentioned as a common theme in post-surgery studies. 

I would guess it would have more to do with the season and indoor/outdoor humidity. This time of my year, my hands can get so dry that they bleed. 

Has anything changed for you this year that would make dry skin a more common occurrence? Furnace, unseasonably dry climate, low humidity, etc.? I keep a thermometer/hydrometer in most rooms, and it's pretty low right now at around 35%. 

Consider a humidifier if things get worse, and of course, keep up on your fluid intake :) 

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Terry, I think Eric might be on the right track. The wacky weather you’re having on the west coast lately might be behind this. My husband also suffers from bleeding fingers during the winter. When the temperature plummets, the furnace inside comes on much more frequently, drying out everything in the house. We use a Coloplast product called AttracTain, a moisturizer that is really effective for dry skin. We tend to only use it in the winter. You should be able to find it at any pharmacy. 

Laurie

Just a semicolon

LK and Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

Stop using soap.  I haven't washed my face with soap for years. Rinse well and dry with a firm towel. Stop using fabric softeners.

I doubt the average person gets dirty enough for soap anyway these days.  

Watch your urine color, body pulls urine from blood supply if i remember correctly . blood feeds skin.  Electrolytes may play a roll?, if i drink a lot of water,  i get chapped lips.

Varg55 liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

Hot showers feel great in winter but they pull all body oil from skin.  Try a super short warm shower during  winter.

ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy Thanks Eric,  I'm sure the weather is contributing, but I've always had dry skin issues in the winter.  I'm wondering if it's an electrolyte issue, that maybe I'm not absorbing as much of the water I drink as my body needs.  I do add salt to my water, but perhaps I need to do more than that.  I should probably talk to a dietician but I'm not sure how much the average dietician would know about the needs of people with ileos!  

Terry

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered
Topic starter  

@tigerlily Thanks Laurie,  My fingers crack and bleed too in the winter.  I started using this amazing stuff called "Working Hands", but it's really only good for hands.  No cracking or bleeding since I started it.  I'm sure you are right about our wacky weather.  I feel like I suddenly moved to Edmonton!

Terry

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@varg55 I think it's reasonable to think that an ileostomy could contribute to dry skin, especially since it increases our need for fluids. It may not be a bad idea to speak with a dietician and keep a food log (fluid intake) for about a week before you see them. 

Let us know how it goes if you take that route. 

ReplyQuote
marynlyn
(@marynlyn)
Registered

I, too, am 70.  I have no long history of ill health, but had a surprise emergency proctocolectomy this spring.  I spent three months in medical facilities.  Quite a ride. : )  In recent months I have noticed rapid skin changes myself.  I never had, for instance, "old lady face" which I am sadly developing!  Skin changes all over my body, actually, and more than just "dry skin" as you report for yourself . . . deterioration in quality of skin in a number of ways.

I too wonder if this is due to the absence of the colon and associated hydration issues.  I have always been blessed with good skin, so this is a surprise to me.  I also don't see anyone else talking about rapid skin aging, loss of elasticity, and associated problems.  Are we the only ones?

I don't know what to do about it, if anything.  I am 70, after all, it isn't a surprise that I am looking older now, but it happened really fast, just this summer and fall really.  I too wonder if it has to do with suboptimal hydration.  I live in Florida; winter isn't the issue.  I do for hydration whatever I have figured out to do; there isn't much guidance on it, actually, not really.  "Just drink lots of water" is obviously misguided, insufficient, misleading.  Electrolytes are necessary but which ones, how much, how often . . . just guesses, really.

Generally speaking, I have some concerns that the skin issues themselves are reflective of on-going issues with how I am in general managing the physical/nutritional/hydration requirements of post-surgery life, and wonder what else is going on my body that is also "suboptimum" and might eventually result in more serious complications.

If you come up with a solution to your changing skin, please post! : ) 

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

For those who are experiencing excessive dryness or the feeling of being hydrated, can you post how much fluid you consume in a 24h span and if your urine output matches how much you are drinking?

Without a colon, we really do need to be taking in more fluids than before, but "more" can vary from person to person. Urine output can help to gauge if you are being adequately hydrated so lets look for clues 😉

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Ladies, you are not alone! I'm not sure how I missed your posts, but I've got them now!  lol!

Last winter while changing my bed which had a set of darker sheets on, I couldn't help but notice that the areas of where my arms & legs rested looked as though it had been heavily dusted with flour  &  bigger flakes of skin.  I was a bit shocked by what I saw.  The sheets had only been on 3 days. I had sprung a small leak but caught it before it got too big so I changed my sheets again when I saw it!  I always put lotion on after a shower so I never really thought about dry skin.

On checking my arms & legs & feet I was appalled at how I had dried up & was sure I was slowly & alarmingly dieing. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust right???? I was dusty & itchy &  felt much like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown, the way his creator must have pictured him!! Lol! 

A much longer story shortened, lol, over 10 months turned I gave away so many lotions that never did a thing. Jergens Lotion with Shea Butter and so forth. My sister knew what I was battling this & one day out of the blue a heavy  box arrived packed full of lotions, body washes & sugar scrubs!! 

I headed for the bathtub prepared to use products I normally stayed far away from because of eczema & allergies to scents!  To my surprise & happiness I noticed a soothing feeling happening to my skin with the 1st application of body cream & my hope soared! started noticing a bigger change in my skin about the 3rd day.   I haven't looked back since!! I still use the same products too. 

So, this is what I settled on....for my face I use the Oil of Olay Regenerist. Its a pretty red jar with a silver lid.  A softly scented cream & it has given me back that newish almost bright skin  healthy glow again. Yes I was 62 at the time but I truly saw an old lady looking back at me in the mirror & one that I barely recognized. This cream was worth the 40 + dollars it cost. A little goes a long way!! Read on  it online 1st it beats standing undecided in the store isle for  which one you want to try. 

For my shoulders, arms, legs & feet, I'm using the Bath & Body Works 24 hour moisture ultra Shea Butter Cream. The Body Wash and Sugar Scrubs also. I don't need the sugar scrub much at all anymore, but religiously use the tube of Body Cream once a day & more on my hands. 

I found the scents are strong but if you buy the Cucumber or Cactus ones the scent is much more mild & doesn't make me sneeze! Lol! I hope this helps!! If you don't have a store near you, you can order on line but...place your order thru a representative over the phone. I have a Post Office Box number for my mail. They don't deliver mail door to door in our town anymore so my orders were being turned down by the company because it was a box number & not a house address. This led to money being removed from my account by the order placed and then having to wait for it to be returned before trying again! More then rediculous!!!  Maddening actually. So phone them & tell them it has to go to the post office!!!! Box number or not! Good luck ! 

www.bathandbodyworks.com/international 

1-888-684-6412

Bath and Body Works

Linda

ReplyQuote