Community Forums

Size of wafer  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 28, 2017 12:58 pm  

Hi All, Question for yes, I wear a 2 piece. and watching different videos and reviews their seems to be a difference in the gap between stoma and ring. some wafers it seems quite large compared to others! now I don't mean the size of the hole for the stoma. Hope I am making sense.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 28, 2017 1:02 pm  

I understand what you're referring to. 

I don't know how you order supplies, but over here you order by flange size (that plastic ring) and/or by how large the hole for your stoma can be cut.

Generally, you want to go with an appliance that gives you some gap between the stoma and plastic ring, but it's fine to use one that's larger than you think you'll need (unless it's uncomfortable!).

I've worn appliances where the flange was pretty much touching my stoma and it doesn't work nearly as well.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 28, 2017 1:10 pm  

Cheers Eric, Yep I go by flange size 45mm, the whole I cut is 35mm. that give my stoma a good fit and don,t seem too close the flange and its been working well.

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
December 29, 2017 3:38 am  

Usually you can get more "space/ gap" with a wafer that you have to cut yourself . Because you can use  a 45 mm for example and only  cut a 22 mm hole . Pre-cut wafers have a little less " space /gap . I use pre cut Hollister . I find my "space / gap " enough . 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 29, 2017 3:46 am  

Hi Bubbles, This is a subject I had never given any thought to as I had as we should been paying more attention to the stoma size. then wondered watching the videos. I like to cut my own as it gives me more control.

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
December 29, 2017 8:32 am  

I use Hollister 2 piece 45 mm flange precut to 25 mm.  The stoma is about 22 mm oval.  With a ring right next to the stoma I get a very good fit with never a leak and no skin damage.  My stoma size settled down about a month or two after its birth.  I figure why should I cut the hole when it never changes.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 29, 2017 8:41 am  

Yep the stoma will settle down to one size, mine stays the same 97% of the time. just some times can be a little swollen and needs a little more room. great to hear that's working well.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 29, 2017 11:23 am  

Hey John . I think I understand what ye is talking about . I don't know if it helps ye or not but I use a 2 piece Hollister and I use a 2 1/4 " barrier and cut my hole at about 1" its a good fit for Norman and haven't had a problem in awhile now (knock on wood or my head same thing) . I did try the 1 1/4 " which would have been smaller overall but didn't like it and didn't wanna have to change my order . The 2 1/4 " is kind of a big barrier right at 5" wide but I guess I just got used to it .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 29, 2017 12:00 pm  

Hey Robert, the different types of wafer I seen on the site set me wondering. and no matter how long we have been at some thing we still can learn. if I was doing some thing wrong I would want some body to jump up and shout "hey you wat ye tink yer at ye Buck Eejit"

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 29, 2017 12:11 pm  

Hey John I think I am gonna have to get me an Irish dictionary . Buck Eejit ??? Lol Keep em coming Lad I get a kick from them all . You can probably tell I like to try and throw them in here n there myself . Lol . And I agree with ye 100 % we can never know everything about anything but we can always learn something even from a rookie .

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 29, 2017 12:19 pm  

Term used for being silly/stupid. One for the weekend "wind yer neck in"

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 29, 2017 12:24 pm  

Ok now I get the Buck Eejit Lol . But now "wind yer neck in" ???? Hahaha . I'm gonna have to start writing em down !

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 29, 2017 12:28 pm  

Well remember Erics video about Product over load and he says "Calm Down" he should have said "wind yer neck in" lol

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 29, 2017 1:24 pm  

Ah now it get it ! Lol 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 5, 2018 10:22 pm  

Eric, wouldn't the large wafer collect the output more before it goes into pouch? Like a deeper convetx that pools if u don't need it right? >>>>>>>>>>>>

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 5, 2018 10:31 pm  
Posted by: Marcie

Eric, wouldn't the large wafer collect the output more before it goes into pouch? Like a deeper convetx that pools if u don't need it right? >>>>>>>>>>>>

If your output is the sticky type that doesn't like gravity, yes, it may stick around the stoma and pancake there, but it wouldn't be much worth than if the flange had a smaller gap.

I would still opt for a flange that isn't touching or very close to the stoma - at the very least, you can run your finger around the gap between your stoma and flange (with your bag still on) to remove anything that might be stuck in there.

If the issue is really problematic, a one-piece might be a better solution as there's no flange and nothing to keep the output stuck up there.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register