Clear all

Showering With an Ostomy (w/ Video)

32 Posts
11 Users
35 Likes
11.7 K Views
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

My wafer tends to stick BETTER in warmer weather, as long as I don't have a break down from sweating.  My skin dries out badly in cold weather, which I think contributes to why I seem to have more issues getting it to stick in the winter. 

I don't worry to much about showering with the bag on, on my non-change days, unless I'm getting some edge peeling.  If that is the case, I'll tape the edge back down with water-proof tape and be on my way.  I used to be overly concerned about getting it wet and coming off, to the point that I'd wear an ostomy belt in the shower.  I've finally proven to myself I don't need to worry about getting it wet.  

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Thanks Eric I will be giving it a try probably on days when I change only the bag not the barrier . If nothing else it would rinse out the area  . 

Butch I actually use a hair dryer on medium heat to warm up my barrier to help it stick after I put it on . Warm it up and rub it with my hand to help make it stick . I change everything  twice a week and take hot showers .  

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Kathy MacPherson)

Showering is a snap. I use a Zip-Loc bag slid up over the bottom of the pouch and bring the upper outside area of the Zip Loc right up over the top of the stoma and fold it over a bit towards the stomach.. Next, I use Hy-Tape (waterproof 1" wide) to tape across the whole top of the Zip Loc bag leaving about a 1" excess tape on either side. I now put tape from the top down the sides of the Zip Loc - about 3 to 4" The pouch and wafer are completely sealed. Experiment and find out the best way for you. I do use the quart-size Zip Loc bag and can use it over and over again after drying it with a hair dryer.

If showering naked, make sure you use a film/glue remover wipe on the skin and hot water in the shower will take care of any residue left on the skin around the stoma. About 99% of the time I can tell if my stoma is going to be quiet or not.

Hope this helps.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Kathymac. Thanks for sharing this! I love the idea of using a Ziploc bag to protect everything!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Christian)

Hello all, I am very new to this, my ileostomy is only 22 days old. My stoma-tech gave me a trick that works quite well.
He gave me a bag one size up from my normal size. So basically I put the normal sized bag in the over sized bag, hold everything in place with a simple clip-on belt (all Hollister products). 99% dry for the bag, a little 2 min hair dryer for cloth flange or air dry if time allows.
Shout out to Eric for this site. Incredible amount of info for newbies and veterans.
Bonjour from Montreal!

Robert and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Christian

He gave me a bag one size up from my normal size. So basically I put the normal sized bag in the over sized bag,

Hey Christian, that's a brilliant suggestion!! Thanks for sharing! I hope your recovery has been going well. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Sarah)

I usually shower with my pouch on and I use a shower cap to cover the pouch. I find the pouch fits inside nicely and it's a good enough cover to prevent the pouch becoming wet during my shower. Cheap and cheerful :)

LK, john68, LLNorth and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I shower and bathe with my pouch on. My stoma is way too active and powerful. She (Rose) has shot a good 4 feet across the room a few times so not anymore, Too much clean up.  I had bought a few hand towels at the dollar store and cut them in half, now, once out of the shower, I wrap that around my pouch and keep it in place with a clothespin clipped on at the top, and it dries quick enough for me.  

Linda

Elaine and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Sally)

I use shower caps too. I use two at a time. I find that excess water will collect in the shower cap on the outside, with some water ending up in the cap closest to my skin. The shower cap pulls most of the water away from the appliance. Yes, the appliance gets wet, but not soaking wet. I use a towel pressed against the appliance once the shower caps are removed. The appliance dries very quickly on its own as I brisk my teeth, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@Sally)

I use a heating pad to seal my appliance after changing it. It works very well in sealing all the edges down. There is probably a fine line between just enough sealing heat and too much heat that may melt down the ring or skin barrier too much. I have never had any trouble with hot water unsealing the barrier.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 A.L.
(@A.L.)

I wished there was more info out there for people! Good article, a little late for me as I'm self-taught pretty much. I'm 4 months in now and have had to experience accidents and successes on my own and had to be creative along the way. Showering is ok now for me, I just do it every two days and on second day I sometimes don't empty regularly, -once the bag is full take the whole thing off and pitch it and shower. I am fortunate that I can afford to do this, I did try those up there in the beginning, and also tried a hair cutting cape etc but found them unsuccessful for me. Also. I have experienced rashes on my skin several times in these 4 months. During this, I do not wear a bag during the day. I load up on desitin (on my skin) and wear a baby diaper around my stoma and desitin covered skin and tape it on with medical tape. Then wear my stoma elastic wrap waist band thing over that. Change it out as necessary just as you would a baby!. Only wearing a bag to sleep until rash is completely healed. About a week. It's quite liberating to have a diaper on your skin instead of that bag! Sometimes I wear one around the house after a shower even if I don't have a rash, or just some gauze, especially If I know stoma is inactive.
It's way Cheaper than the wafer and bag. Lastly I will say get the barrier wax rings! Cut them in half and the stretch and shape them to fit you! They really help to prevent any leak or moisture which is the cause of the rash. You can get two uses out of one barrier by cutting them and reshaping them yourself. Even still 4 months in, it takes me 45 min to prep, shower, reapply everything etc. It's exhausting.
OMG so As I reread all this I wrote, I am forgetting about the huge wound as mine has now healed. I'm so sorry if you are reading this and are new to this. Its absolutely horrific. I cried for weeks everyday especially being self taught. You will get thru it. Cry if you must!! It's absolutely life changing, it's degrading, depressing, honestly it's disgusting. BUT you need to be strong! Find help where you can. Once you wound heals and you aren't packing it anymore, and dealing with that, it's one less stress on you. And it's a beautiful relief to only have to worry about the bag. Add a few rashes in there and more crying .... ugg. This does SUCK but you will survive. Find a happy place. After months of being depressed a friend of mines mother told me they had to have colostomy bag, and also leg amputation same time. Made my crying stop. Can't imagine doing everything I've done and gone thru AND without a leg!! Good luck to all of you and God Bless you all ..... take care of you!!! Try to think of positive things and keep your mental on the uppity up. Xoxo

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Cat momma
(@cat-momma)

Hi @A.I. , welcome! 

Wow, you have found such a creative way to deal with your skin problems! Well done, I am always amazed what people can come up with to resolve their problems. It sounds like you're a very resourceful person. I do hope your skin is doing better now. 

Please introduce yourself soon, I'd love to know your story. This is a great place to find information, a laugh and a cry. You could also do a search on youtube, try looking for the words ileostomy  ostomate  stomalife  ostomydiary  ostomystory , etc. That's how I'm finding loads of information, tips and tricks. It's also how I found this place, and very happy I did.

Incontinent in a better way, since 12 July 2023

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2