Showering With an O...

Showering With an Ostomy (w/ Video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
07/05/2018 4:29 pm  

My wafer tends to stick BETTER in warmer weather, as long as I don't have a break down from sweating.  My skin dries out badly in cold weather, which I think contributes to why I seem to have more issues getting it to stick in the winter. 

I don't worry to much about showering with the bag on, on my non-change days, unless I'm getting some edge peeling.  If that is the case, I'll tape the edge back down with water-proof tape and be on my way.  I used to be overly concerned about getting it wet and coming off, to the point that I'd wear an ostomy belt in the shower.  I've finally proven to myself I don't need to worry about getting it wet.  

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
08/05/2018 5:35 pm  

Thanks Eric I will be giving it a try probably on days when I change only the bag not the barrier . If nothing else it would rinse out the area  . 

Butch I actually use a hair dryer on medium heat to warm up my barrier to help it stick after I put it on . Warm it up and rub it with my hand to help make it stick . I change everything  twice a week and take hot showers .  

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Kathy MacPherson
 Kathy MacPherson
(@Kathy MacPherson)
18/05/2018 4:22 am  

Showering is a snap. I use a Zip-Loc bag slid up over the bottom of the pouch and bring the upper outside area of the Zip Loc right up over the top of the stoma and fold it over a bit towards the stomach.. Next, I use Hy-Tape (waterproof 1" wide) to tape across the whole top of the Zip Loc bag leaving about a 1" excess tape on either side. I now put tape from the top down the sides of the Zip Loc - about 3 to 4" The pouch and wafer are completely sealed. Experiment and find out the best way for you. I do use the quart-size Zip Loc bag and can use it over and over again after drying it with a hair dryer.

If showering naked, make sure you use a film/glue remover wipe on the skin and hot water in the shower will take care of any residue left on the skin around the stoma. About 99% of the time I can tell if my stoma is going to be quiet or not.

Hope this helps.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
19/05/2018 12:56 am  

Hi Kathymac. Thanks for sharing this! I love the idea of using a Ziploc bag to protect everything!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Christian
 Christian
(@Christian)
28/02/2019 8:54 am  

Hello all, I am very new to this, my ileostomy is only 22 days old. My stoma-tech gave me a trick that works quite well.
He gave me a bag one size up from my normal size. So basically I put the normal sized bag in the over sized bag, hold everything in place with a simple clip-on belt (all Hollister products). 99% dry for the bag, a little 2 min hair dryer for cloth flange or air dry if time allows.
Shout out to Eric for this site. Incredible amount of info for newbies and veterans.
Bonjour from Montreal!

Robert and LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
28/02/2019 10:58 am  
Posted by: Christian

He gave me a bag one size up from my normal size. So basically I put the normal sized bag in the over sized bag,

Hey Christian, that's a brilliant suggestion!! Thanks for sharing! I hope your recovery has been going well. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Sarah
 Sarah
(@Sarah)
01/06/2019 4:26 pm  

I usually shower with my pouch on and I use a shower cap to cover the pouch. I find the pouch fits inside nicely and it's a good enough cover to prevent the pouch becoming wet during my shower. Cheap and cheerful :)

LK, john68, LLNorth and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
03/06/2019 7:34 am  

I shower and bathe with my pouch on. My stoma is way too active and powerful. She (Rose) has shot a good 4 feet across the room a few times so not anymore, Too much clean up.  I had bought a few hand towels at the dollar store and cut them in half, now, once out of the shower, I wrap that around my pouch and keep it in place with a clothespin clipped on at the top, and it dries quick enough for me.  

Linda

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register