Showering With an Ostomy (w/ Video)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 28, 2015 11:05 am  

Let's discuss showering with an ostomy!

You can read my full written article about this topic by clicking on the link below. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Poppy
 Poppy
(@Poppy)
March 19, 2017 2:51 am  

I have never showered with my bag on in the 2 weeks since I have had the ileostomy. The stoma nurse said it wasn't necessary and I must admit it is the one time that I feel really clean. Haven't had an active moment yet in the shower but I guess it will come some day. Still have the stitches but no issues with getting it wet at all. Go for the naked shower.

LK and Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
March 19, 2017 2:59 am  

It really does feel nice to shower without the bag! Keep on enjoying those showers! =)

LK liked
ReplyQuote
oriharakaoru
 oriharakaoru
(@oriharakaoru)
July 10, 2017 3:28 pm  

I've always showered with my bag and used the hairdryer method. I can't shower with the bag off, because I can't predict my stoma output AT ALL. It's basically always at least a little active, which makes bag changes fun and exciting completely stressful and awful. When I use the hairdryer, I just make sure it's on low heat and I try to pat as much excess water off as I can with a towel, especially around the wafer tape. For the skin under my bag, I clean it when I do my bag changes once a week and that seems to have worked for the last 25 years.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 10, 2017 3:33 pm  

Thanks for your comment :) If your system works, stick with it! Many people would find it alarming to shower without an appliance and a very active/unpredictable stoma, so I wouldn't feel bad about it or anything.

Take care!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Al
 Al
(@al)
Registered
August 6, 2017 1:09 pm  

I too enjoy removing the bag, usually in the mornings are best. For those other times I have good luck with the Glad Press and Seal.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Anna Rappaport
 Anna Rappaport
(@Anna Rappaport)
October 18, 2017 2:29 pm  

This is silly but how much soap/shampoo/conditioner CAN drip down? I'm so paranoid when I shower the shampoo/conditioner from my long hair and body wash is dripping down on my wafer-I'm trying to not to but it's obviously unavoidable. I have tried using the no-oil, no moisturizer, totally plain soaps and my skin goes nuts!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 18, 2017 11:52 pm  

As long as your skin is clean and free of any residues from the soap/shampoo/conditioner, you should be fine. I use all kinds of soaps and shampoo in the shower and it's never been an issue, but I don't go out of my way to get special types that have added moisturizers.

Conditioners will likely be the most problematic as they are meant to leave something behind on your hair where shampoo would prefer to be washed off clean.

Are you showering without your appliance on? This should only matter if your appliance is OFF of your skin.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
TravelAddict14
(@traveladdict14)
Registered
October 20, 2017 2:02 pm  

Thanks for responding so quickly. I’ve been having a nightmare of a time since getting my ileo last weds. Lots of skin allergies and still can’t get a fit without leaking due to the stoma emptying out from the bottom which is under my skin.

I’m scared to get my appliance wet but have been doing it anyway. I haven’t gotten to shower bagless yet on a change day since I’ve had such unpredictable changes:(

If I condition my hair you’re saying it’s best to keep the whole appliance on?

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 20, 2017 3:49 pm  

Keeping your appliance on means that any soap/shampoo/conditioner will be on the outside of your appliance and not where the wafer sticks to. This would be a good option to consider if you think your conditioner leaves a residue.

Have you been able to see a dermatologist regarding your skin allergies? You may need to be tested as each brand uses a different adhesive that may or may not be compatible with your skin.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Gurwinder Singh
 Gurwinder Singh
(@Gurwinder Singh)
May 5, 2018 8:39 pm  

Can i take the pouch off but leave skin barrier on when I take a shower? will the water cause it to peel off faster?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 5, 2018 9:31 pm  

Hi, Gurwinder.

Yes, you can do that and it shouldn't be any problem. I've done it several times.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
May 6, 2018 2:28 pm  

Hi Eric and everybody . Eric I just wanna make sure I am understanding this . I can take off my bag and leave my barrier (wafer) on and you don't think there would be a problem ? That would be great to do . Took me over a year before I would even take everything off and take a shower and that was thanks to advice I received here from several friends and (ostomates) on here . Like Dona said it all goes down the drain disinfect and move on .  Now I do that on change days and its great to get it all off even if only for a few minutes . I use a shower bag for the bag only but doesn't always keep the bag dry . Then I just dry barrier and bag with towel its no big deal . Only thing I don't like is water sometimes gets in the folding closure of my bag . I use the Velcro closer bags so then I have to open that and dry it . I use regular bar soap nothing fancy , shampoo n conditioner never had a problem with anything loosening up . If for any reason the edges start to peel I use a Q-Tip with a little spray of medical adhesive and that takes care of it . Sorry long winded here . But Eric if you think it would be no problem I will try barrier n no bag when I can . It would be like a little more freedom ..........

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
May 6, 2018 5:55 pm  

Take it all off Robert, then a new personal appliance.  so enjoy your shower when it is time to change Norman's tux. other wise, tape that filter...  Enjoy your bike..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

LK, Jattzl and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 6, 2018 7:48 pm  
Posted by: Robert

Hi Eric and everybody . Eric I just wanna make sure I am understanding this . I can take off my bag and leave my barrier (wafer) on and you don't think there would be a problem ? That would be great to do . 

Hi Robert, yes, you can take the bag off and leave the wafer on while showering.

A few things if you do intend to do this :

• Prepare for some poop to fall into your shower. Disinfect when you're done. 
  • Don't purposely try to spray your stoma with a shower head. If you want to clean the center part of your wafer just splash water on it. 
  • While indirect shampoo and soap contact is not likely to cause problems, try to reduce contact with your appliance if you can. 

Give it a try and see how it goes. I don't expect any catastrophic appliance failure, but at the very worst you may get shorter wear time (I've never had this happen).

LK, Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 7, 2018 6:00 am  

Here its a concept I have never tried but hey that could be very useful.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
butch
(@butch)
Registered
May 7, 2018 7:54 am  

I take HOT  showers with bag on, but, using a flex shower head keep it from direct contact with wafer thinking it may compromise adhesive

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2018 11:57 am  
Posted by: butch

I take HOT  showers with bag on, but, using a flex shower head keep it from direct contact with wafer thinking it may compromise adhesive

Hi Butch, don't you find that hot showers cause the wafer to stick even better? That's been my experience, which is why I like taking showers after I've put on a new appliance.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
butch
(@butch)
Registered
May 7, 2018 1:14 pm  

Eric, I think extra heat on hyrocolloidal (sp?) breaks it down quicker  maybe psychological

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2018 1:40 pm  

Hi Butch. Actually, heat is required for all of these adhesives (which is why manufacturers ask you to use your hand to gently press onto your appliance after putting it on), and I don't think the heat of a shower would be hot enough to cause damage to your wafer without burning you first!

Now, some people may find that sweating can break down their appliance, but that's a whole different story :)

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register