Community Forums

Parastomal Hernia  

RSS

Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
November 10, 2019 5:48 am  

Friends-

Found out the measurement of my parastomal Hernia last week. It measures 5 "by 4". Changing up the wafers to accommodate the stoma prolapse . Have been measured for a hernia belt. Question is is my parastomal hernia measurement big ? I have seen pics of various sizes. Wonder if the hernia gets bigger as time goes on, probably a silly question. My plan was to wait until August to have the reversal and the hernia can b repaired at the same time.  Next year in August is  I will have Medicare, which will make finances a bit better. Wondering if this can wait this long. What has been your experience ? Thx.

Dona liked
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 11, 2019 7:45 am  

Oh my, Cyrisse....that is a biggy too. I think so long as it has support and there is no colon strangulation or pain from it,  it can possibly wait. Be careful tho. ";).

It makes sense to try and wait for coverage. I totally get that! Call and ask you doctors receptionist or a stoma nurse your question too. They see a lot of these I am sure. It never hurts to ask. From my understanding the hernia belt makes a big difference and life more tolerable. Does anyone here know why hernias are almost common place with our issues? Just wondering. All the best.

Linda

Dona, john68 and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
November 11, 2019 7:57 am  

Hi Cyrisse and Linda,

It's not a pleasant mental image, but the reason for the frequency of peristomal hernias is that having a stoma sometimes weakens your abdominal muscles, causing them to pull away from the stoma. The hernia belt should keep the area from getting further out of anatomical shape than it otherwise would without the belt, so there's less pain and maybe less chance of the hernia getting worse. If you plan to wait another nine months for Medicare to kick in, then a belt is probably your best option in that interval.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

Dona, SqueakyandLiza, john68 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
November 11, 2019 4:59 pm  

a quick search comes up with , 5-10%, up to 50%, then 78% end up with hernias, numbers are all over the place.   the 78% said within 2 yrs.     a quick look on the UOAA young adults sections shows no comments about hernia belts or hernias?  but the conclusion that it is associated with age is more a coincidence Id say, correlation but not conclusion.

I was told if I stayed as fit as I was at surgery , I would have no problems.  11 yrs and counting, the surgeon was correct so far.    the pre surgey stoma nurse said, wow what a great stomach for a stoma, I was not happy with her excitement.   luckily, what I like to do,  also keeps me in pretty darn good shape.

I think its lack of physical condition.   people are not in fit condition as they were back in the 70's & 80's as I remember.   I routinely carry things other ostomy people would not dare carry. 

poor surgeries, poor placement  could also play a roll.

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Cyrisse
(@cyrisse)
Registered
November 12, 2019 3:31 pm  

Thx all for your responses. Going to see the ostomy nurse again tomorrow for a re-measurement. 5 by 4 looks really big to me by a ruler. Perhaps this young new nurse meant centimeters. 

Dona and LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
November 12, 2019 6:31 pm  

Cyrisse,

I bet it is supposed to be cm.  That seems like how they usually measure things medically, even here in the states.  Good luck with the remeasurement.  :)

-Liza
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Dona, LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
November 13, 2019 11:04 am  

Hi Cyrisse,

In centimeters ( cm)  4cm X 5cm would be about 1.5 inches X 2 inches.  certainly large, but better!  good luck with all this.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 13, 2019 11:50 am  

something  caught my brain there...."young new nurse", being young & new she would likely have been  raised & trained under the metric system "if" she were Canadian. Question,  have the States gone metric at all? I have  not been down there for so long I have  no clue! Canada  is trying to loose the fall back, spring ahead, clock times  but can't do it if the border states & towns  don't do it also, for business reasons. It makes sense to me and I suffer badly from the time changes. What do you all think of this whole thing   they are trying to get approved? Do you also suffer from this ritual and how? Not sure how to loose the bold print, sorry! what???? Okay format but is this what it should be? Seems so...I'm guessing...now John! Better then bold anyways. Bold looks so demanding. Thought I would try it...hehehe.

Linda

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 13, 2019 11:59 am  

Hi Linda, look down and you will see “format” that changes the type 😃👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
November 13, 2019 11:59 am  

Hi Linda, No US is STILL ( unfortunately ) on the Feet, inches and yards measurement system . BUT its true the medical community uses metric.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 19, 2019 4:23 am  

Hi Cyrisse,  how was your apt. and have you found out the size of that  hernia of yours? Were you able to get your questions answered by the doctor. Forgive me, but, I'm curious to know what they told you regarding your questions. I only had a small umbilical hernia which I rec'd from all the pulling on my muscles,  scar tissue & the placement of my incision during surgery. About an inch, I'm still learning metric and rely on my sewing tape measure for sizing. In keeping  access to what the surgeons need to get at, it is really no wonder some of us have  a weaker stomach wall afterwards. I'm sure,  for me,  having had a pregnancy,  and several surgeries with little recuperation time  has something to do with this also. I too am interested...if you have  or had a hernia, have you had the experience of it becoming larger and in need of a more immediate repair? Anyone?  

Linda

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
November 22, 2019 3:23 pm  

Hi Cyrisse,

I had twice already a parastomal hernia (when my stoma came out to check whats in the bottom of the bag). I understand why you would want to wait till you have Medicare. Check with your Doctor, at times the stoma can get stuck and not pull back in, that is not a good thing and will be a reason to go to ER. Lay down for a bit when it grows, it should go right back in to the hole it came from. Do NOT lift anything over 15 to 20 lb, it would bring it out when you use your abdominal mussels. Roll out of bed, don't sit up from laying, that too will do the same as lifting. 

Wish you all the best.

Dan

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register