Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Nuts

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

I have a question for you guys...  When I was in the hospital after my ostomy surgery, I was given a pretty extensive list of foods to avoid and I have been really good about following it, but have added some things back gradually. Some things I know I am not going to add back in due to risk vs reward. For example, corn— fresh or popped, unpeeled apples, tomatoes  or potatoes, and oranges. Nuts were on the list and I have experimented with them, making sure to chew them very well. So far, I haven’t had a problem and would like to continue to eat them. But I want to make sure I’m not playing with fire. Has anyone had any problems with nuts?  Does anyone know why they would be on a list to avoid?  I understand corn and fruit and veggie skins. I’ve never had a blockage and really want to avoid it if possible. Nuts are just a pretty healthy snack and I’d like to incorporate them back into my diet if I can do so safely. Thanks in advance!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK and sjlovestosing liked
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered

Hi Liza,

I'm prone to blockages of the small caused by adhesions and have been hospitalized to clear. I have been given different advice regarding what not to eat from my doctors and dieticians Among the foods that I have been told to avoid are nuts, seeds, peels, pulp, fruits with skins such as grapes and blueberries. Vegetables should be well cooked and avoid cabbage, celery and Brussel sprouts, stringy types.  The reason for avoiding all these foods is that they can get stuck at that spot and cause a blockage. Also recommended is eating 4-6 small meal rather than the usual 3. Eat slowly and chew foods thoroughly. Hope this helps. 

LK, SqueakyandLiza, sjlovestosing and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

My own rule of thumb is, Everything In Moderation!

My ostomy is mid transverse, and is also herniated. 6 years out now, I find I can eat anything without a problem if I masticate well and only eat a moderate amount. I love popcorn for instance, but limit myself to basically a coffee cup size portion. I am a HUGE seed and nut eater, constantly eating peanuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds etc. but again. in moderation.

Retired engineer, now goatherd
Ostomate since 2015: Mid transverse after cancer
Our goats always live at GoatsLive.com

garyh, LK, SqueakyandLiza and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered

The list of foods to avoid pretty much took away most of my diet.  I love salads, raw veg, nuts, seeds, corn and so on.  All things I considered healthy.  The options given were nauseating to me - soft or canned veg, white bread, mushy pasta etc.  Ugh.  To add to the issue, I'd rather not eat at all than to eat yucky mushy food.  Having T1 diabetes, gastroparesis and ileostomy I had so many food restrictions it was triggering an eating disorder.  I finally made the decision to add the foods I love and eat slowly, eat small meals, chew thoroughly and drink lots of water.  Things I normally do anyway.  I'm so glad I put the fear from all of the restrictions away and went with my "gut" lol. For me, I have had  no problems with blockage or discomfort.  I now eat pretty much all the things I love following those guidelines.  I wish you well.  

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

garyh, GoatHerder, LK and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks to those of you who replied. I will keep experimenting with nuts cautiously. Right now pistachios are my fave. I am chewing them up really well, but wondered if there is anything else about nuts and seeds that pose a blockage risk. 

It is a beautiful day here in Washington. I hope all of you are having lovely days too. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

GoatHerder and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered

I too was told at the hospital a bunch of what not to eat . For me that was alot of things I normally eat . I'm not much for veggies always been more of a meat n potatoes eater . I slowly worked back into my old diet I eat nuts corn popcorn (occasionally) potatoes blueberries strawberries citrus pretty much anything I want . Yes I don't eat very healthy  . I do find starchy foods thicken my output but not unmanageable  . Had my surgery 5 years ago so far no blockages . Knock on wood . But I do drink alot of water . 

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered

Hi Lisa,  I was given all the same messages about what not to eat after my ileostomy surgery.  I was really careful to avoid anything that might cause a blockage for several weeks, but then slowly started trying things.  Now, six months in I have to be totally honest here, I literally can eat anything, and I've gotten so blase about it that I don't even really pay attention to my chewing.  I am someone who was always a slow eater and probably already  just naturally chew my food enough.  I eat all vegetables, corn, mushrooms, raw tomatoes, nuts, all fruits with skins, pineapple, you name it.  On the other hanad I became an ileostomate due to chronic constipation.  What I've heard is that those who had Crohn's or Colitis are more likely to have scar tissue and that is what can cause the blockages.  So I think your personal history may have a lot to do with your chances of success here.  My advice would be don't rule anything out, but be cautious and try a small amount first.  Good luck!

Terry

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Registered

I found that, as long as my system feels "normal", I can eat nuts without problems.  My favorite are almonds and I make sure I only eat them one at a time. If my output gets weird for any reason I simply back-off some foods that I know could cause an issue. 

So far I've found I can eat most anything BUT some of my favorites can cause greater than normal problems like thick output, gas, odor and/or non-stop output. So I simply decide if at that particular time the risk/reward is worth it.  :)

I did find this article and thought it interesting enough to share - specifically the portion about nuts.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/5-health-foods-that-can-t_b_5852998

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

@jeff

Thanks Jeff. This article was super informative about why nuts can be a concern. Thanks for taking the time to share it with me. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and Jeff liked
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

@squeakyandliza Pistachio nuts caused my only ever blockage! My parents have for decades purchased for me, upwards of 4 kilos of pistachio nuts. I could easily eat 1/2 a kilo of them at one sitting (especially watching golf!)

Now, my wife gives me measured portions in a small container, and HIDES the rest from me!

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Liza

You love your nuts

Nut energy ball : need a nut grinder/coffee grinder, example 1/2 almonds, 1/2 sunflower seeds grind until smooth, and some honey and apple juice concentrate too sweetness, cacao power or lemon juice, optional cinnamon or vanilla essence, mix all together and mould into little balls. then enjoy will last several days if you don't eat them all too quickly.

vary the recipe to your choosing.

yes, some people are worried about the phytates, not sure how much of an issue this really is.  You can soak nuts, whizz them in a blender, strain and make nut milk, that is really tasty, especially with cashews.  it sounds like you have chewed your nuts very well and not had a problem with blockages. when soaked they are even easier to chew.  

I hope this helps and enjoy your nuts and seeds. 

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @goatherder

@squeakyandliza Pistachio nuts caused my only ever blockage! 

Yikes!!  That is good to know. I saw somewhere you could buy them already shelled. That would be way too dangerous. Having to crack them slows me down. 🤣

Also, I have found at Costco Salt and Pepper flavored pistachios. They should probably call them salt and pepper and crack pistachios because they are super addictive because they taste so good. 😋

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and GoatHerder liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

@chrisandbagpus

Yep Chris, I do love my nuts!!  Some more than others, of course. 

Your recipe for nut balls sound so good!!  I don’t have a grinder, but I do have a food processor, so I bet that would work. 😋 Thanks for sharing it!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and GoatHerder liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

@chrisandbagpus

Yep Chris, I do love my nuts!!  Some more than others, of course. 

Your recipe for nut balls sound so good!!  I don’t have a grinder, but I do have a food processor, so I bet that would work. 😋 Thanks for sharing it!!

A food processor will work fine. Of course you could always buy a grinder easier to clean grinds it more finely and Eric benefits if you buy from A (Thumbs Up).

I challenge you to make some and not eat them all in the first day LOL.

Remember nuts are if your not allergic a very good source of nutrients and my wife tells me if they are ground you should more nutrients out.

Enjoy Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Before my Crohn's diagnosis, I would eat nuts literally by the ball fall. I absolutely love them all different kinds: salted, roasted, plain, you name it.

While I don't necessarily shy away from nuts because of my ostomy oh, I do find that certain things will thicken my output up and it's just not something that I enjoy. For example, large amounts of peanut butter will thicken up my output but I still enjoy peanut butter. I do still enjoy nuts, but they tend to be inside things like oatmeal or snack bars.

These days I simply tend to avoid nuts because of their high price.

I think that from most people with an ostomy, eating a small number of nuts, let's say the amount that you might be able to fit in the palm of your hand, should be relatively safe provided that they're chewing really well.

I think that anyone can have problems with blockages if they aren't chewing well and/or they're eating a large number of nuts at one time. But that's why I suggest taking it slow and seeing how your body reacts.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, GoatHerder, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

@veganostomy

Eric well said and all one handed or by AI

moderation is always a good idea 

LOL

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chrisandbagpus
A food processor will work fine. Of course you could always buy a grinder easier to clean grinds it more finely and Eric benefits if you buy from A (Thumbs Up).
I have bought so much on Amazon in the last year. Hopefully Eric is feeling the effect. I just ordered my mom a stationary bike her dr recommended for problems she’s having with her legs. 

I challenge you to make some and not eat them all in the first day LOL.

Well, willpower is not my strong suit so I’m pretty sure I cannot meet that challenge. 😂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Thanks Eric. I was avoiding them all together and started, like you, with nuts as an ingredient in something. When that went well, I tried some as a snack. I started with almonds and then pistachios. I did notice a thickening of output, so I could see how a blockage could happen if I got carried away, even with chewing them up very well. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

I started with almonds and then pistachios.

One thing that could be very helpful when starting off on nuts, especially new types, is to let them soak for several hours or overnight. Almonds in particular are really great after they've been soaked overnight.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
GoatHerder
(@goatherder)
Registered

@squeakyandliza Pistachio nuts tend to from a thick paste when well chewed. Make sure you get enough fluids while eating them, and limit yourself to a set amount. I won't eat more than 20 nuts in a sitting just to be on the safe side.

LK liked
ReplyQuote