Clear all

NG tube  

RSS

Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
October 19, 2020 9:48 pm  

After my surgery I couldn’t eat and my stomach was filling with gunk, they inserted NG tube and after a few days I was able to eat.

just curious if others had same experience?

going in for rectum removal and was hoping this time would be different, as the NG was the worst.

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
October 20, 2020 5:58 am  

Yes

The surgery or medication put your digestive system to sleep so to speak.

Ileus or gastroparesis I posted about it here

https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/general-ostomy/pain-medication/#post-17136

Colostomy Jan 2020

Erin liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 20, 2020 3:34 pm  

@rick I'm sorry about that experience. It's probably more common than you'd think. 

As @chrisandbagpus suggested, it could have something to do with meds you had for the surgery. This might be a question you'd want to bring up before your next surgery. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
October 21, 2020 5:39 am  

My discussion with my stoma nurse is as Eric states it is more common than you think.

Either a reaction to the rummaging! around in your abdomen or the pain relief medicine has the effect that your intestines and stomach, especially the first part of your small intestine stop functioning or the pain relief medicine slows the peristalsis to a halt. result bile enters the stomach, nausea and risk vomiting for several days, hence the NG tube

from Wikipedia:Ileus is a disruption of the normal propulsive ability of the intestine due to the malfunction of peristalsisIleus originally referred to any lack of digestive propulsion, including bowel obstruction,[1][2] but current medical usage restricts its meaning to only those disruptions caused by the failure of the system's peristalsis thus excludes failures due to mechanical obstruction.

NG tube for me a very nasty and uncomfortable experience. I found sipping small amount of a multi fruit juice and start with if possible very light food like pureed apple or carrot  then a simple porridge or weetabix got things going first off,milk or the fortified drinks hospital offered was a no-no

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
October 21, 2020 10:13 am  

I found out that if the person inserting the NG tube runs it under warm water before inserting, it softens it up to make it a little more comfortable.

most don’t take the time to do this..

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
October 25, 2020 8:52 pm  

I had one of those when I had my reversal. They put it in during the surgery and I think I had it for the next six days. I don't remember it hurting while it was in there, but pulling it out wasn't fun. I would think it'd be awful having one put in while you're awake... having something shoved up my nose does not sound fun. Same reason getting a covid test kind of freaks me out. 

ReplyQuote
Erin
 Erin
(@n64gbachick)
Registered
November 14, 2020 7:40 am  

Well I learned something new today!

So... I had to look up NG tube (after reading Chris' interesting info) but it  sounds like what I had when I woke up after my emergency ileo. I thought it was oxygen-which makes no sense now- but I remember my surprise (and disgust) when they pulled it out of my nose. 8-O I was very weak and out of it for a bit so never thought to ask what it was.

At one point in my recovery one of my drs thought there was fluid in my abdomen, so they put a tube in there (not pleasant) to drain it. Was only in a day or so though as it turned out I was fine. I thought maybe that was what you were referring to.

It took me some time to eat as well, to the point they were getting worried. I didn't have another NG tube though, just the liquid nutrition via IV.

Female, 30's. Emergency Ileo in 2010 due to Ulcerative Colitis.

ReplyQuote